Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news for Nor-Cal John Sullivan Customer (ME)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM
mikes1000rr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news for Nor-Cal John Sullivan Customer (ME)

The original issues I posted I wanted to remove since part of the deal we made to rectify the situation was not to spread bad news about the dealer.

Last edited by mikes1000rr; 07-22-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Sorry to hear that. Some dealers give a 90 day or 3000 mile warranty on used cars. Well some here in Texas, guess that's not the case where you're at. May want to seek legal advice, no harm to ck. How may miles since you bought it? Good luck, hope things work out
Old 07-22-2010, 02:26 PM
mikes1000rr
Instructor

Weve put about 5,000 on it so far.. and it was AS-IS
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM
paint-tech
Racer

I am sorry for your trouble. I would get a second opion on the oil issue I own a 01 and until i swiched oils it drank 3.5 quarts between changes its normal for this year. I now use Amsiol and use mabey half a quart in same milage.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by mikes1000rr
Sorry about your issues. When buying a used car it is just that. I feel your pain, But the bottom line is "AS-IS". Sure they can offer to help you out in some way like maybe splitting the bill or something like that, But seeing that is was sold as is releases them for repairs. Did you contact the service manager? You also might give the area GM rep a call, Whatever you do, Keep your cool when talking the them.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:56 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not sure why you are busting the dealer?

"THEY" didn't inspect the car enough to see overspray or a radiator leak?

Did YOU inspect the car? These are items you could have spotted with a good inspection (albeit, the radiator leak after a test drive).

If you bought the car AS-IS then I'd say the delaer was more than helpful servicing anything for you for free.

Sorry.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Spoon83
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are you gonna buy a 9.5 year old car and expect no issues with it. If you did your research before hand, you would have caught some of the problems...
Old 07-22-2010, 03:14 PM
j-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

It was AS-IS but was it also advertised with an inspection point list? If so you can sue for fraud if any of your problems fall into the scope of their inspection list. Good luck with the car!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had similar problems buying my 99 which was 7 years old at the time. the problems with the car were many of the very commonly known C5 problems, had I know how easy they were to fix I wouldn't' have been upset at all.

the key factor here is that the dealership lied to me. they said the car was GM certified, and they explained extensively what GM certified meant and I took their word on that. after all the problems and their refusal to do anything to fix anything I contacted GM and discovered that the car was not "GM certified" at all, because of the year model and mileage (70k) it was not even eligible for the certification. in fact the dealer had their own certification program and this car was the local dealer's "silver certified" which apparently means nothing. although the sales rep speficially said GM certified and even explained everything that GM certified means for the car.

I ended up getting lucky, the problems were very easily fixed and for a mere fraction of the cost with help from the forum. in fact I spent less on all the fixes so far than the dealer quoted me just to fix the turn signal flasher alone.

and since we're putting this all out. Hall GMC Hummer in Virginia Beach, VA cannot be trusted.

I got lucky with my car and I'm very happy with it now. it had all the options I wanted and all is well, but when I think about the look on the sales rep's face as he told me it was GM cert and explained the checks and how many points are on the inspection it pisses me off to this day.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If it was purchased "as is", I'm unclear what you expect after 5,000 miles and several weeks of ownership. It's not a brand new car.

Did the dealership offer any type of extended warranty? Did you refuse it?

Find out if CA has an arbitration board which might be either a state agency or independent dealer oversight agency. Also check the dealers status with the BBB and report your complaint(s). The BBB is not a regulatory agency (no statutory authority), but most companies do not want negative unresolved BBB reports on their records. That might result in a compromise of reduced costs of repair.

And you could also check with the CA Attorney General's Office to see if the dealership has a history of poor business practices.

But proving intentional fraud is easier said than done.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 07-22-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Sorry for your troubles but you did buy a used car. If you wanted something perfect (or as close to perfect as possible), you'd have likely paid 2-3 times as much.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

John L Sullivan won't be around much longer anyway. I read that the local Caddy dealer (Hubacher) had bought them out; lock, stock & barrel.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't believe I can say Buyer beware of John L Sullivan Chevrolet, however I will advise you to have your Corvette inspected by a third party technician first before purchasing from them.
I think this is good advice no matter who you purchase from. It doesn't matter if it's a dealer or an individual.

I hope you get everything worked out. If you are handy and willing to turn a wrench on the car you can probably fix most things on the car with the help of the forum.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:47 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Sorry about your issues. When buying a used car it is just that. I feel your pain, But the bottom line is "AS-IS". Sure they can offer to help you out in some way like maybe splitting the bill or something like that, But seeing that is was sold as is releases them for repairs. Did you contact the service manager? You also might give the area GM rep a call, Whatever you do, Keep your cool when talking the them.
Good advise. You don't have a family lawyer?? Sometimes a letter
from a lawyer followed up by a telephone call can do wonders.
Good luck.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM
mikes1000rr
Instructor

UPDATE- I just got back from the dealer... They are willing to allow me to make the choice to take either option here. A. Unwind the deal and take the car back for a full refund (minus the bit of money I've put into it for maintenance $400-$500) . B. Cover most of the bill except for $700.00 of it.. ( for Piston Re-Ringing and new radiator ) Now given all the criteria I have the option of basically walking away from the car they pay it off to my Credit union and I can find another OR have a rebuilt motor for $700 more.. What's your guys' opinion? ( I am leaning with having it fixed )
P.S. I edited the first post out because they are now willing to do something about the car, he said he would fix it because he did not want to get a bad reputation for the dealership.
Also to you guys who say what do you expect for putting 5k on and who have been negative... just because your standards are low to accept that kind of answer, does not mean that my standards are that low.

Last edited by mikes1000rr; 07-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

UPDATE- I just got back from the dealer... They are willing to allow me to make the choice to take either option here. A. Unwind the deal and take the car back for a full refund (minus the bit of money I've put into it for maintenance $400-$500) . B. Cover most of the bill except for $700.00 of it.. ( for Piston Re-Ringing and new radiator ) Now given all the criteria I have the option of basically walking away from the car they pay it off to my Credit union and I can find another OR have a rebuilt motor for $700 more.. What's your guys' opinion? ( I am leaning with having it fixed )
I would spend the extra 700 as long as you are happy with the car and you get a warranty on work done.
Who is to say the next C5 isn't an oil burner?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
mikes1000rr
Instructor

Mr. Bill your right.. I LOVE the car actually... I would assume the work would be warranted... I did not ask however... btw.. your Avatar kinda scares me I may have bad dreams tonight.. hahaha

Get notified of new replies

To Bad news for Nor-Cal John Sullivan Customer (ME)

Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Mr. Bill your right.. I LOVE the car actually... I would assume the work would be warranted... I did not ask however... btw.. your Avatar kinda scares me I may have bad dreams tonight.. hahaha
When you start having bad thoughts about your car, Just think of my Avatar.....

It appears they have stepped up to the plate.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbyu2
John L Sullivan won't be around much longer anyway. I read that the local Caddy dealer (Hubacher) had bought them out; lock, stock & barrel.
Oh, good. Now their service department will go from can't do anything to won't do anything.

But seriously...

I'm glad to hear that they are willing to work with you. Sounds like they have improved tremendously since my experiences with them.

Last edited by Kale; 07-22-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Spend the $700!

Quick Reply: Bad news for Nor-Cal John Sullivan Customer (ME)