Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes i got your PM which is why I say one person confirmed, you. lol and no it's not Ed hansen's shop. I had called him because I too heard he was the exhaust guru but he said he cannot weld Ti. This other guy's name is Quinn. I am not 100% the name of his shop since this was a referral from Renegade Performance ( a shop i used to order my headers) He sounds like a great guy, and is very knoweledgable with how to weld Ti. I will find you the name of his shop for you guys.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 AM
79inSD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he say how long it will take him? I am interested. I also have a buddy with a 01 that might want to do it was well...

Last edited by 79inSD; 07-28-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Um he said he would like my car for 2 days, but then said the actual work would only take 3 to 5 hours. I'm assuming he's going to use mine as a measurement car so he can make sure nothing is going to rub for us all. At worst i'd expect your car to be gone for a full day to be honest, but i can find out exactly from him. Now if you take the catback off yourself and just bring it to him i'm sure he'd be able to do it a little faster if need be.

If you are truly interested please PM, also ask your friend if he would be interested if he were to join in this our cost would be cut even more so we would be getting a killer deal to have this done to our exhaust.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:31 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

i'll try to get a video today. Will only be me so i'll have to just set the camera on the side of the road lol.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
DIYdreamcar
Pro

Originally Posted by MySelfAffliction
Ok a little update for everyone, I talked to my guy about doing the by-pass. He said that materials are expensive. He said that he could only get a 10 foot piece of titainium tubing which would be $300.....Now that would suck for just me to pay and I would refuse to buuuuttt. He did say that if we got a group buy together we would be able to split the cost of the material and he could cut us a deal on the labor portion. And if we took the catback off the car and took it into him he would charge even less labor.

Basically he's willing to work with us on the price big time. Now he said that each vette would require about 2 feet out of that 10 foot piece. So to give a little space for error we are saying to have the cheapest cost to us 4 people MAX for this group by. That would mean each person would pay 75 for the tubing and then whatever he would charge us for the actual labor. He's very reasonable with his labor. I would venture to say it wouldn't cost any more than 250 MAX. I don't know 100% I would need to get more people interested before he throws out a price for us. If you are interested let me know.

He's very local, he's located in spring valley. He said if i took my car to him he would use mine as the measuring car to make sure it mocked up well on the car, then the rest of the people if they just bring in the catback for him it'll cost them way less than to bring the whole car in.

I'm pretty sure I have one person already interested which is hattitude. I would need 2 others to make this as cheap as possible for us all. If there are ANY other people out there in the San diego area that want to do this by-pass, please post up here or send me a pm and we can get this going. So far he's been the only person i've found that is willing to do this mod since everyone is scared of welding Ti...I was told by another automotive shop he's the guy to go to.

Again please contact me if you are interested. I'm wanting to get this done so bad but i do not want to spend $300 on my own just to get the materials then the additional cost of him welding. If we did a group buy, all of us would get a cheap price and finally get a mod we've been wanting!!! Well hit me up!!
2 FEET PER CAR

When we did this we got the titanium tubing from titanium Joes online cost well under $100. We used 1.67" (IIRC) maybe 1.75 but not 1.5" 4 feet of tubing did 3 or 4 cars. I remember parting with $20 for my part of the tubing.

Wish you guys were closer, we have a guy here who does the welding (very pretty welds too) for around $150 if you provide the tubing. It almost cost me more to have the cat back removed/replaced than anything else.

One of these days I am going to borrow a decent mike from a friend and get some sound clips of mine.....

Have fun, it is worth the effort!

-Ed

http://titaniumjoe.com/tubing.htm

check out the CP2 tubing 1.67 inch OD and the price/location. It is towards the bottom of this page ($1.59/inch for 48 inches...)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar
2 FEET PER CAR

When we did this we got the titanium tubing from titanium Joes online cost well under $100. We used 1.67" (IIRC) maybe 1.75 but not 1.5" 4 feet of tubing did 3 or 4 cars. I remember parting with $20 for my part of the tubing.

Wish you guys were closer, we have a guy here who does the welding (very pretty welds too) for around $150 if you provide the tubing. It almost cost me more to have the cat back removed/replaced than anything else.

One of these days I am going to borrow a decent mike from a friend and get some sound clips of mine.....

Have fun, it is worth the effort!

-Ed

check out the CP2 tubing 1.67 inch OD and the price/location. It is towards the bottom of this page ($1.59/inch for 48 inches...)

He was going by the pictures he's seen online...He's never done it so he was saying that much to be on the safe side since he's no sure how long he'll need to take the pipe. I like the deals on your page, i'm waiting for a phone call back from him to see what he thinks about this titanium thickness and such. Hopefully we can use this stuff cuz this would be a cheaper route.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 PM
MDoe8
Instructor

I tried recording video today but it just doesn't sound right. It's hard to get a camera that gets the proper sound. You're going to have to hear it in real life!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 AM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by DIYdreamcar

All the Ti I have ordered has been from Joe at titanium Joe. Good guy and nice too! He even through in some Ti filler rod (for free) for us to use while welding the stuff...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Mike402
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok so 1 confirmed, need at least 1 more to keep costs low would prefer having 2 more though!! I know there's gotta be another person in or around SD that wants this done to their stock Ti!
I'm in Palm Springs, and I'm game. Did he say how much he'd charge to remove catback?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:31 PM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Put Electric Cutouts on your car. I wouldn't hack up the Ti's. You can adjust how loud they are by playing with the electric switch in your car that controls the butterly openings. You can have them fully opened to be loud, closed for quiet, or in between to be slightly louder than what you have. I gained 11rwhp with them today on the dyno with LT's and a cam. Plus, you don't ruin a one of a kind exhaust system like the TI's since they are in your X pipe.

If you don't like that idea, get an axle back exhaust system and either sale your TI's or keep them for the future. I think the bypass is money down the toilet.
I second the E-cutouts, I love mine, you can adjust it however you want it to be from stock to down right obnoxious....they are perfect
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Triton4C
Racer

E-cut outs cost too much IMO. 300 for just the stuff and then gotta pay to have it welded in.

GunLuvr you say you are in? He said the welding itself is gonna take 1 to 2 hours. And then another 1 to 2 for taking the catback off (i know it's really not going to take him that long to take it off) he's giving us a high estimate so he doesn't dissapoint us if he has any troubles. All in all it shouldn't take him longer than 4 to 5 hours. Hell I'd be more than willing to help him take the catbacks off to ease his time. He said he loves to weld at the desk so maybe we can cut a deal with him to use his shop for us to remove the exhausts and for him to just weld while we take off the catbacks??? That would save him some time and would save us some $$$. He is MORE than willing to work with us on this.

I'm trying to hit this from any angle I can at this point to try to help myself and others out in this. I told him about titanium joes and he said he's going to look at the website and make sure it's the correct tubing we need. I will get back to you guys as soon as I get more info. And for the guys that want this done but can't do it right now, I will get you his name and number at the end of this so you can work with him yourself.

Gunluvr, PM me with your name and number so I can talk to you on the phone and keep you posted on this via phone since it'll be quicker if we finalize things. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

E-cut outs cost too much IMO. 300 for just the stuff and then gotta pay to have it welded in.

GunLuvr you say you are in? He said the welding itself is gonna take 1 to 2 hours. And then another 1 to 2 for taking the catback off (i know it's really not going to take him that long to take it off) he's giving us a high estimate so he doesn't dissapoint us if he has any troubles. All in all it shouldn't take him longer than 4 to 5 hours. Hell I'd be more than willing to help him take the catbacks off to ease his time. He said he loves to weld at the desk so maybe we can cut a deal with him to use his shop for us to remove the exhausts and for him to just weld while we take off the catbacks??? That would save him some time and would save us some $$$. He is MORE than willing to work with us on this.

I'm trying to hit this from any angle I can at this point to try to help myself and others out in this. I told him about titanium joes and he said he's going to look at the website and make sure it's the correct tubing we need. I will get back to you guys as soon as I get more info. And for the guys that want this done but can't do it right now, I will get you his name and number at the end of this so you can work with him yourself.

Gunluvr, PM me with your name and number so I can talk to you on the phone and keep you posted on this via phone since it'll be quicker if we finalize things. Thanks!
Yes, E-cut outs do cost a little over $300 buck just for the parts but what system doesn't? What other way can you have your car nice and quiet for a ride to dinner with your wife and as loud and open as open headers when you are at the track and you can adjust it anywhere in between with the touch of a button....How can you beat it????
Old 07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Mike402
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

PM sent. Let me know how I can help out to make this happen.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:28 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Looks like this will be going down soon with 2 other guys, I will post pictures afterwards to show results along with a sound clip. There is still time for a 4th person to go in on this. We will be doing this in about 12 days.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:10 PM
ls2alex
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got ti piping from ti joe as well, only problem is I have yet to find someone to do this for me in the SF bay area
Old 08-10-2010, 03:14 PM
CPIKE
Instructor

Put me down.. Let me know when, where, and how much, Im in Santee. Been Looking for this for a while now.. Clean out your inbox haha
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Triton4C
Racer

Haha ok CPIKE. Sorry about my inbox, ive been getting clustered with pms lately setting all this up. Can you PM your phone number so I can keep you updated that way? Also it will be on Saturday the 21st. Quinn is supposed to give me a no **** answer to how much tomorrow. And the place will be in Spring valley. I will give further details as they come to me tomorrow. Thanks! Glad to have a solid 4 people.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions

Old 08-11-2010, 01:21 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2alex
I got ti piping from ti joe as well, only problem is I have yet to find someone to do this for me in the SF bay area
Get in touch with forum member and sponsor RichieRichZ06 - he has someone that welds ti in the bay area

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...ierichz06.html
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Triton4C
Racer

Ok it's been a long time coming for this. We first had to work out all the little details with Quinn to get this done, after that was all settled we were waiting on the tubing to come in, then he had to go out of town for 2 weeks but alas he is back!

Myself and 2 other guys are going to be getting this done on Friday and Saturday. I will post pictures and video of before and after for you guys to give you an idea for future people wanting this done.

Here's the terms on this, because he doesn't have a lift (he normally works on dune buggies and sand rails which he just uses floor jacks for) Whoever wants this mod to be done will have to bring in the exhaust by itself off the car. He doens't want to risk damaging anyone's car using floor jacks. As of right now his pricing is quite fair. I will give you guys the price after we do this mod. This is a test for him to see if it's worth continuing for him and also how much money he has to spend to get this done for us. Like i said the pricing currently for the three members is VERY fair. It should stay the same in the future but I will wait till it is done to put that out to anyone else.

So for all you guys in SD or the surrounding areas looking to get this done, I reccomend you guys subscribing to this thread to keep an eye out on the pictures and video of his work and it will come with a final price for everyone!! I will have this video this weekend after the mod is done!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:01 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed....

BTW.. Ive always wanted to do this..

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Ti by-pass mod questions