Sponsored by:

Non Pop up lights. Who likes them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr8Wht
Not to bash you or anything, but can you provide and/or state the federal law that requires American automakers to build cars for pedestrian safety!

The recent passing of the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act requires automakers to install pedestrian alert systems in hybrid and electric vehicles by 2013. BTW, nothing states anything about redesigning of the front-ends!
Also.....
"Some of the changes in vehicle design have been obvious changes to help lower pedestrian injury. These include hood ornaments are either imbedded in the grill or designed to collapse. Exterior mirror are now on springs and door handles are recessed. It is the hope that these design changes will reduce injuries to the pedestrian who has been hit. Another less obvious change is hood designs. Most cars manufactured in the U.S. have braces that support the hood that will collapse when impacted from above. Engine covers are now made of plastic with the idea that it will further soften the blow. Some vehicles have also increased the amount of space between the hood and engine cover.

One of the most challenging areas for auto designers is the front bumper. In Europe and Asia where there are many more pedestrians they have designed bumpers with more crush space. Unfortunately these bumpers don't do as well in crash tests and can interfere with the sensors that trigger air bag deployment. A solution being implemented by Toyota is bumpers with high density foam which is behind a plastic bumper cover."
Again, not a law, nor anything stating that automakers have to redesign front-ends.

Ok, now lets focus on the "sleek the C5 nose is and how flat the C6 nose"

If you ask me, they are fairly close! Just my
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05044/456324-185.stm <-- The beginning of when things started (publicly)

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/pr...ticleid=122731 <-- More recent information

Just google the information. It took me a minute to find this stuff. I'm sure there's lots more but I'm not going to do all the research for you. (Time is money! ) There's always press-releases on it. Safety standards are going to follow suit. It's just part of the industry.

And as for the comparisons, you'll realize after reading that last link why your side-by-side comparison doesn't work. It's the minor changes. Taller hood/fenders, revised fascia with more drastic slope, no flip-up headlights, etc... Look closely.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:13 PM
uberC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slimsol

I bet those depo lights are worth $100 at max. VETTE tax applies on corvette parts. i bought brand new headlight for my civic for $30 shipped
I paid $379 shipped for mine. The corvette vendors usually list them for $549+tax and shipping.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05044/456324-185.stm <-- The beginning of when things started (publicly)

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/pr...ticleid=122731 <-- More recent information

Just google the information. It took me a minute to find this stuff. I'm sure there's lots more but I'm not going to do all the research for you. (Time is money! ) There's always press-releases on it. Safety standards are going to follow suit. It's just part of the industry.

And as for the comparisons, you'll realize after reading that last link why your side-by-side comparison doesn't work. It's the minor changes. Taller hood/fenders, revised fascia with more drastic slope, no flip-up headlights, etc... Look closely.
Yea, those articles are totally outdated (2005 and 2007)! Try finding something more recent.....oh, there is none! Because the people in the white house will NOT pass a law here in the states like they have in Europe. The stats are just not there.

You're right.....MINOR CHANGES....not the drastic slope noted earlier!
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will most likely go with depo headlights painted to match the car. There is so much better lighting with projector lights rather than the stock housings.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:40 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Yea, those articles are totally outdated (2005 and 2007)! Try finding something more recent.....oh, there is none! Because the people in the white house will NOT pass a law here in the states like they have in Europe. The stats are just not there.

You're right.....MINOR CHANGES....not the drastic slope noted earlier!
I wouldn't call those out-dated. Information from 2007 in a press release means that models affected by the changes are coming out now.

And yes, as stated, there's a drastic difference in nose slope. You may think it's a small change, but when it comes to factoring in aerodynamics and pedestrian safety, that's a huge change.

Flip up headlights destroy pedestrians. That's why they're not coming back. /story
Old 02-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

I wouldn't call those out-dated. Information from 2007 in a press release means that models affected by the changes are coming out now.

And yes, as stated, there's a drastic difference in nose slope. You may think it's a small change, but when it comes to factoring in aerodynamics and pedestrian safety, that's a huge change.

Flip up headlights destroy pedestrians. That's why they're not coming back. /story

Do you actually read the articles you find during your unconscious Google searches? Here's a paragraph from your "Carmakers target pedestrian safety" link:
"There's less rush to act in the United States, where industry and government regulators say making automobiles more pedestrian-friendly isn't a priority. They also contend that driving is different overseas."

Last time I checked the Corvette was made in the US. Besides, Chevrolet is not going to change the look of the Corvette unless they are required by law!

...that's why you don't work for GM! Maybe not the C7...but you never know!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
TWOO7
Instructor

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Anyone in the northern climates have problems with snow and ice preventing the pop-ups from working? If so, can they be disabled and left in the upright position?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Do you actually read the articles you find during your unconscious Google searches? Here's a paragraph from your "Carmakers target pedestrian safety" link:
"There's less rush to act in the United States, where industry and government regulators say making automobiles more pedestrian-friendly isn't a priority. They also contend that driving is different overseas."

Last time I checked the Corvette was made in the US. Besides, Chevrolet is not going to change the look of the Corvette unless they are required by law!

...that's why you don't work for GM! Maybe not the C7...but you never know!
Do you read what you write? (probably not)

Um... They changed it. /story

And the first link IS outdated, while the second link isn't. The first link was the beginning of the safety hype. But when other manufacturers started boasting pedestrian safety and pushing their research, so did the American cars.

Yes, I wouldn't work for GM. That'd be worse than working for Disneyland. I remember one time some dip-**** asked me where the thermal paper was in a Staples and when I had the isle wrong by one isle he came back and said "it's a good thing you don't work for NASA." Funny thing is that at that time I had been building firewalls and network appliances at 18 years old. LOL God forbid I get the isle of thermal paper wrong. Every NASA engineer should know where the damn thermal paper is.

Sorry, but your "...that's why you don't work for GM" comment reminded me of that. Ignorant comments like that make me chuckle.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 02-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Do you read what you write? (probably not)

Um... They changed it. /story

And the first link IS outdated, while the second link isn't. The first link was the beginning of the safety hype. But when other manufacturers started boasting pedestrian safety and pushing their research, so did the American cars.

Yes, I wouldn't work for GM. That'd be worse than working for Disneyland. I remember one time some dip-**** asked me where the thermal paper was in a Staples and when I had the isle wrong by one isle he came back and said "it's a good thing you don't work for NASA." Funny thing is that at that time I had been building firewalls and network appliances at 18 years old. LOL God forbid I get the isle of thermal paper wrong. Every NASA engineer should know where the damn thermal paper is.

Sorry, but your "...that's why you don't work for GM" comment reminded me of that. Ignorant comments like that make me chuckle.
Sorry people asking someone or an employee for help, makes them a dip-****, but I guess that's another post!

That'd? Come one....is that actually a word?

Since I have to explain it to you ....engineer to engineer, "Chevrolet is not going to change the look of the Corvette unless they are required by law." Meaning your little spat earlier about pedestrian safety (remember that) if it becomes a law, Chevrolet would have to change the front end, add external air bags, etc. for safety purposes! I could go into more detail if you still don't get it!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:39 AM
C5DEMON
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
I like them.

.....but then again, I built them too

Those are really cool! I'd buy non pop-ups if i could find them with the halo's like that. Very impressive!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Radioflyer, they look very cool, makes the C5 vette look mean and ready for business. I was wondering if they ever made popups that only went up half the height with a 4 X 7 size light, or one of your popup dual headlight setup, I think it would still look cool poping up but only have the height... Maybe something to look into.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by C5DEMON
Those are really cool! I'd buy non pop-ups if i could find them with the halo's like that. Very impressive!
you're in luck. The SLC V2 (production version of the headlights pictured) have a halo option. They will be ready for production next week.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...velopment.html
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Sorry people asking someone or an employee for help, makes them a dip-****, but I guess that's another post!

That'd? Come one....is that actually a word?

Since I have to explain it to you ....engineer to engineer, "Chevrolet is not going to change the look of the Corvette unless they are required by law." Meaning your little spat earlier about pedestrian safety (remember that) if it becomes a law, Chevrolet would have to change the front end, add external air bags, etc. for safety purposes! I could go into more detail if you still don't get it!
"that'd" is an actual word, yes. Meaning "that would", in the case you haven't figured it out. You want to be a grammar ****, learn more grammar.

I called the guy a dip-**** because he said I was an idiot because I didn't know what isle thermal paper is on. Like that genuinely represents intelligence. Do YOU know what isle thermal paper is on?

GM HAS changed the design. You saying they haven't changed it is funny because they have. Do you really think they needed a taller hood? The same amount of guts are in the both the C5 and C6. You can do an entire C6 to C5 transplant. /story
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM
uberC5
Racer

aisle?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

For the OP, sorry for Ranting on your thread. It just cracks me up when some people post information that's not true. Or they'll take bits of information and make it sound like they know what they're talking about. Those individuals should move over to Facebook and/or My Space so that they can rave about anything.

Getting back to your questions, I like the pop-up headlights and not a big fan of the so-called frog lights! Plus, the money you spend on replacing the lights can be put to better use on another mod. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:32 PM
laurelboy
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

I'm a purist, I like my 02 coupe just the way the General made it. No mods for me.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
IndispensableSoul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father left me with his car (C3, 75) in the middle of him making some changes. One of his changes were the headlights. I think the popup ones were broken or had vacuum issues so he changed them to these. The thing is this, problem 1, I like the sleek look of the pop up's when they are closed so I'm not too fond of these. I want to keep it this way though since he made this change. AND, problem 2, these have a catch all for trash, dirt, debris, and also the water sits in the buckets too. what can I do to cover up the hole or is there some type of conversion kit that puts a lens over the hole or something??? PLEASE HELP and give me some FEEDBACK!!! =)

This is a side shot but you get the idea!

Quick Reply: Non Pop up lights. Who likes them?