Sponsored by:

that terrible seat noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default that terrible seat noise

My C5 has always done this so I don't know if that's just the way they are or if its from many happy miles squashing down the seat foam changing the geometry of the seat...but every time my seat moves forwards or backwards it makes a terrible sound as the leather (or whatever "leatherish" material the seats really are) rubs against the plastic pieces and carpet which are in contact with it because the seat is too wide to fit into the place the GM engineers put it. its just one of those things that makes the car sound cheap which it really isn't at all.

I don't use easy entry but I have button 1 programmed for driving position, and button 2 programmed for get out (all the way up, and all the way back) so my seat does this every time I get in or out. just wondering if that's the way C5's were designed, or if that's just something my car is now doing after years of driving...and what might I be able to do about fixing it?

I wish they had made the thing 4" wider, add 1" to either side of each seat so it doesn't rub like this.

I've started adding felt with foam tape to the plastic panels where the seat rubs. but it looks like I can only do this to a few small places where the padding would not be visible, I certainly wouldn't want something like that to be seen.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

My 99 does the same........if you figure out a solution, please share.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:08 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

every time my mom rides with me she thinks I'm blowing ***....I've come to peace with the sound..
Old 08-10-2010, 05:13 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,503 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Yep, I have a case of "Vette Farts" as well. I plan to swap out to some better skins and I hope that helps. Either way, please let me know if anyone know of any better aftermarket sport seat foam. I think the OEM foam is partially to blame...
Old 08-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Doogie2001
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I leave my seat in the same position all the time, I tuck a black hand towel in between the seat and the interior trim.

...and a small black washcloth under the console lid.

... and a black bath towel between the convertible top and hatch while driving.

I love my Vette, but face the facts - they ARE built cheap!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

When I had Mrs. Patches' seats out for the audio and insulation upgrade, I liberally swabbed the side of the seat bottom in that area with lots of leather conditioner, although any type of lubricant will probably work. The silence lasted for almost 6 months. I need to reapply for that blissful lack of shrieking seat sound.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 631 Likes on 347 Posts

Ah...you mean the "farting sound"

This is usually due to the leather material being too sticky. While the side of the seat does have some type of fabric instead of leather where it's supposed to rub, sometimes leather will stick.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 AM
arobber
Racer

I use all of the automatic settings for the seat and don't have that problem. I keep the passenger seat about even with the driver's seat, so that is not a problem either. Maybe you have fat-assed passengers!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Patches
When I had Mrs. Patches' seats out for the audio and insulation upgrade, I liberally swabbed the side of the seat bottom in that area with lots of leather conditioner, although any type of lubricant will probably work. The silence lasted for almost 6 months. I need to reapply for that blissful lack of shrieking seat sound.
Dude! epic on this! folded the seat forward, 30 seconds with an armorall leather wipe and the sound is virtually gone! mine would also make the same sound from the front passenger's side of the driver's seat rubbing against the carpet of the console, plenty of room to fit my hand in there to wipe down that area also. now when moving fully back I get the sound for literally 1 second or so at the very end of the seat's travel, before it would do this the entire time it was moving backwards! if I can't fix the last bit I'll just reprogram my get out setting an inch farther forward and be happy with it. simply awesome, great fix, easy and very cheap! I sure hope the effect lasts 6 months like you noticed, but seriously if I have to do this every time I clean the interior to keep that sound away I'm perfectly happy with that. Another minor C5 quirk solved!

Get notified of new replies

To that terrible seat noise

Quick Reply: that terrible seat noise