Sponsored by:

C5 Lexan Top 'Spider Cracks'

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Bracketman
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Lexan Top 'Spider Cracks'

I'm pretty sure I've developed what some people on here have called 'spider cracks' (ie. very fine scratches) on the top of the lexan roof panel. I was wondering if (a) there is a way to fix the problem without buy a new roof, either replacing the panel or by some type of filler, or (b) if I need to buy a new roof panel, who should I turn to since GM will be asking an arm and a leg? Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've read that you can sand and "re-finish" it yourself or have a body shop do it. I'm curious to but, will probably just get a quote from a body shop.

-Alex
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Bracketman
Pro

I should also ask if anyone has a parts diagram, since if the pieces can be removed, I don't see why I could disassemble then reassemble that lexan panel (I don't know if it just a single sheet or double).
Old 08-18-2010, 05:56 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I've got the same thing on mine. Somehow my top got out of alignment and started stressing it as I went over bumps, etc. Not sure if yours is the same situation, but if so, before you get the top repaired, you may want to loosen up the alignment pins in the front and back and re-center them so the top doesn't stress and crack again.

I think it also helped quite a bit with the body flexing by adding the tunnel plate.

Now I just need to get the top repaired at some point. From what I've read on here, it's cracking in the clear coat, so it can be sanded down and re-cleared either by yourself or a shop.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may help

Chuck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...sh-how-to.html
Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Bracketman
Pro

Originally Posted by csexton
Added to Favorites! Thanks... looks like I have a new project on my hands

GE
Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 PM
paint-tech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear top

I had the same issue on a lexan top. I got a piece of dark tint and applied tint to inside of top. I can no longer see the crazing. cheap fix and looks like new.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Bracketman
Pro

Originally Posted by RLYSLO
I've got the same thing on mine. Somehow my top got out of alignment and started stressing it as I went over bumps, etc. Not sure if yours is the same situation, but if so, before you get the top repaired, you may want to loosen up the alignment pins in the front and back and re-center them so the top doesn't stress and crack again.

I think it also helped quite a bit with the body flexing by adding the tunnel plate.

Now I just need to get the top repaired at some point. From what I've read on here, it's cracking in the clear coat, so it can be sanded down and re-cleared either by yourself or a shop.
I know mine wouldn't have anything to do with the stress of the vehicle.. I barely drove it at all last year (like, twice). I saw on the C6 section some people said it had to do with using glass cleaner on the top... and I have been using glass cleaner for years, so why it would have developed now I really don't know. I did have the vehicle exposed to some snow a few months back during a freak 'climate change' episode, so it might have something to do with that. Regardless, I think I'll try my hand at beating it with sandpaper and polishers -- since I don't have much to lose at this point
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Bracketman
I know mine wouldn't have anything to do with the stress of the vehicle.. I barely drove it at all last year (like, twice). I saw on the C6 section some people said it had to do with using glass cleaner on the top... and I have been using glass cleaner for years, so why it would have developed now I really don't know. I did have the vehicle exposed to some snow a few months back during a freak 'climate change' episode, so it might have something to do with that. Regardless, I think I'll try my hand at beating it with sandpaper and polishers -- since I don't have much to lose at this point
A little bit of elbow grease and it will look just like new.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Lexan Top 'Spider Cracks'

Quick Reply: C5 Lexan Top 'Spider Cracks'