Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights go up on first flip of the switch and I have the grinding noise.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:50 PM
MrScharfenberger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights go up on first flip of the switch and I have the grinding noise.

My headlights are making the grinding noise. I've purchased the headlight kit with the metal gear and I'm about to go out and install it but I have another question. When I first bought the car (it only had 15,900 miles on it when I got it) when I flipped the headlight switch up one position the head lights stayed down and I'm assuming that some type of running lights came on. When I flipped the switch up to the second position then the headlights would flip up. Now that the lights are making the grinding noise when I flip the headlight switch up one position the headlights pop up. Is there something else wrong with this mechanism besides the plastic gears? And is there something else that I have to do to this to fix it? I've read the how to fix the headlight post in here with all the pictures (I think posted by patches, really good stuff) and he didn't mention that problem at all. Any light that somebody could shed on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do a search on headlamp motor rebuilding also check out the sticky in C5 General for all I know...click. You'll need to R&R the motors and replace the damaged gear with a brass gear. Or buy new motors from discounter like Gene Culley.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:54 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just read a thread about this and even though i don't have the knowledge to explain it correctly, it appears that when you fix your gear problem your headlight buckets will work properly.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Question, yea i dont drive my vert at night never have,
but when i flip the switch to have the headlights come up, it usually takes me to do it twice, should i worry?
Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A
Question, yea i dont drive my vert at night never have,
but when i flip the switch to have the headlights come up, it usually takes me to do it twice, should i worry?
Worry no, R&R the headlamp motors yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights go up on first flip of the switch and I have the grinding noise.

Quick Reply: Headlights go up on first flip of the switch and I have the grinding noise.