Originally Posted by csexton
Longtubes

Chuck
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sneakelman
Wow, if the AIR tubes line up, then they are definately for your year range. Something is really screwed up.
Did you try bolting up the factory H-pipe to the underside to see if that pulls it up enough to bolt the shorties on?
That is where my issue is. The headers bolt to the engine with no issue, and line up to the air tubes no problem. They unfortunately do not reach low enough to the Hpipe. If I bolt the the H pipe first, I wouldn't be able to attach the headers to the engine.... completely whacky...
Old 10-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

What does everyone recommend in terms of LT and a mid-pipe. do I also need a new mid-pipe? Also, I have noticed there are varying sizes depending on your individulat set up (heads/Cam) I do not have H/C yet, but may or may not go this route. Should I go with the larger diameter, and will that impact my current performance?
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,388 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The option of going to the muffler shop and having them fix the exhaust is not a bad idea. Can probably be done for just a few dollars.

If you plan to do more serious mods in the future, then consider getting a set of long tube headers and sell the shorties.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:20 PM
coanan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Munky
That is where my issue is. The headers bolt to the engine with no issue, and line up to the air tubes no problem. They unfortunately do not reach low enough to the Hpipe. If I bolt the the H pipe first, I wouldn't be able to attach the headers to the engine.... completely whacky...
Air tube location didn't change until 01, 97-00 same location, but I believe they changed the mid pipe in 00, so find a 00 mid pipe. I'm sure there has to be a few around your area cheap. Could be wrong, but aren't all long tubes out now have the air tube in the 01-04 location? So unless you remove the air system and have it tuned out you'll have to change the pass air tube and that requires you to remove the intake. I know someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong on this. Long tubes really are the way to go though, but be prepared to pay for a custom tune to take full advantage of them. money money money Cheapest route for you now would be a used mid pipe that fits the shorties.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by coanan
Air tube location didn't change until 01, 97-00 same location, but I believe they changed the mid pipe in 00, so find a 00 mid pipe. I'm sure there has to be a few around your area cheap. Could be wrong, but aren't all long tubes out now have the air tube in the 01-04 location? So unless you remove the air system and have it tuned out you'll have to change the pass air tube and that requires you to remove the intake. I know someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong on this. Long tubes really are the way to go though, but be prepared to pay for a custom tune to take full advantage of them. money money money Cheapest route for you now would be a used mid pipe that fits the shorties.
That would seem to be an easy solution, but I would hate to get another mid-pipe and have it not be correct....

I now just want to get this fixed correctly and finished asap....
Old 10-26-2010, 02:13 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Look for a used set of good quality headers, hi flow cats and an X pipe. I picked mine up here off the forum for $700. The X pipe and cats were almost brand new. Headers are TPIS coated.

I have installed a set of LG's as well as the TPIS set I have now. The istall is fairly straight forward and I didnt need to remove the starter of raise the engine on either car for either set. Use GM manifold gaskets from a 2002 Z28. You can avoid the tune for now if you can get a hold of a set of o2 sims which can be found used. I would definately plan on a tune though whenever you get a chance to get the most from your system. You will notice a difference with the exhaust and especially with a tune also.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Jazzkat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If spending additional $$$ money right now is something you would like to avoid, I would go to a muffler shop. The price to get a couple of extenders installed is not going to be a big deal (famous last words).

Who knows what is going on with your exhaust configuration, but it is possible that after purchasing LT's, removing shorties, installing LT's etc, etc, etc, your next post will be "I just installed LT's and they do not match up to the rest of my exhaust, what do I do?"

The answer then will also be - go to a muffler shop.

I am not denying that LT's are a better way to go if it fits your situation. I am in CA, and I do not want to go through the gymnastics involved to pass smog with LT's, so I will go to shorties if I do anything. In your case, you have already done 98% of the work, why not finish it up and re-evaluate. Who knows, you may decide that the shorties are good to go, or heads/cam or forced induction may never happen.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there anything special I am going to need to look for/due during a long tube install? Any suggesions would be great. Thanks.
depends which ones you buy my suggestion is to buy a set of long tubes with the MATCHING xpipe. i just helped my friend do an install on his 99 he purchased the xs power longtubes with catted xpipe it was so easy i think my grandma could do it the only thing we had to do is remove the starter other than that it was easy. you seem like you are mechanicaly inclined so it shouldnt be a hastle. just my 2 pennies your gonna want to do a tune after you get those longtubes installed for more power gains
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM
TN Vette
Burning Brakes

You can still keep the AIR system if you install 01-04 LTs on a 97-00.

I just did it on my 1999 Coupe and this is all you will need:

01-04 AIR tube which connects to the passenger's side header/manifold
01-04 Engine oil dipstick with tube
Intake gaskets for when you remove the intake to replace the AIR tube

Here is a link to a thread for when I did my install.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...went-well.html

This is a link to the LT install procedure I used. It was close to perfect.

http://www.fastz.com/PFYC/HeaderCatXPipe.html

Last edited by TN Vette; 10-26-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added link to LT thread
Old 10-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Munky
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to go with lts and an x pipe. I have been trying to decide the best route, and if history proves correct, i will want to continue mods.

Sine I am the second or third owner, I am not sure what is original on the car so my h pipe may be a 99 or from a later model so avoid any more hassles think lts should match my b&b prt system well..... No need to get another set of shorties and end up in the same place next week.

I am leaning toward kooks or xs.... Any suggestions?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:04 PM
rootpooty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comments. I think I am going to go with lts and an x pipe. I have been trying to decide the best route, and if history proves correct, i will want to continue mods.

Sine I am the second or third owner, I am not sure what is original on the car so my h pipe may be a 99 or from a later model so avoid any more hassles think lts should match my b&b prt system well..... No need to get another set of shorties and end up in the same place next week.

I am leaning toward kooks or xs.... Any suggestions?
kooks are about 500-800 more with the matching xpipe

Quick Reply: my nightmare - suggestions needed