Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another DIY Jacking Puck thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up with super pics! Acquired my pucks, now to get the other hardware from Home Depot and knock this project out.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 87gtNOS
I have an abundance of pucks, but are they really necessary?

I am having an issue with the fact that my car is lowered and I need to buy a floor jack!! I am too cheap right now to buy a low profile unit....and most regular jacks have a minimum height of 5".

I think I need to make ramp, then slide the jack under. I assume the jacking point it the metal part with the slot.

Thanks....and please don't flame!!
I built ramps for my lowered GTP and use them for the vette. I had to add long extensions to get the vette on them. Im lowered too. I just jack it from the front.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:26 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 00 Rooster
I can't believe you guys would do that to innocent hockey pucks looks like I better get a lock for my hockey bag if any CF members are coming over. you know, I wouldn't do this to a baseball or football

I don't know what is crazier, you guys wrecking good pucks or the fact that alxltd1 has a local rink in FL
Well, Tampa (Odessa is about 10 miles from Tampa proper) is the home of the Bolts (nobody calls them the Lightning). Hockey has been big here for years, must be all those snowbirds from Canada down here for the winter!
Old 03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I am having an issue with the fact that my car is lowered and I need to buy a floor jack!! I am too cheap right now to buy a low profile unit....and most regular jacks have a minimum height of 5".

I think I need to make ramp, then slide the jack under. I assume the jacking point it the metal part with the slot.

Not looking to flame you but you just mentioned that you have in your possession an abundance of pucks and then you ask are they really necessary. I say they are necessary based on what I know whether made of rubber or metal. Here on the C5 forum plenty know what is needed for a C5 and if they tell you it is needed trust me I believe their word is as good as gold. You are not going to find this kind of info anywhere else out there other then maybe on another Corvette Forum. You say you are too cheap right now to buy a low profile floor jack yet your C5 is lowered. I am sure one could be had cheap enough that it will not set you back very much as far as cost goes. You do own a C5 Corvette. Don't be cheap. Buying a floor jack is a pretty small expense compared to anything else going wrong with your car if you can't fix it yourself. I wouldn't wait. You are going to need one at some point to take a wheel off of your car. I could understand your thinking of making a set of ramps first and maybe buying a regular floor jack. That is fine but what if you have a flat tire that won't hold air and you can't drive the C5 up the ramp then what? Being your car is lowered I would just bite the bullet and spend a little bit more for a low profile jack now.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
ShawnFate
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the eyebolt for ?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

The point of the puck is to provide the saddle of the jack with direct contact to the frame of the car, missing the plastic rocker panel. You can jack directly on the rocker panel as it is (I believe) glued to the frame. Expect some scratches & eventually cracking of the plastic when using this (non puck) method.

If you get it up on ramps you can place your jack elsewhere & miss the rockers altogether.

Do a search for other jack points or get a FSM.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
RealmSteel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnFate
What is the eyebolt for ?
There is a little slot at the jack point that the eye bolt fits in.
Give the puck a 1/4 turn and it will hold in place for you to get the jack under there. This is ensure the puck is in the correct location.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I made mine too.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Well, Tampa (Odessa is about 10 miles from Tampa proper) is the home of the Bolts (nobody calls them the Lightning). Hockey has been big here for years, must be all those snowbirds from Canada down here for the winter!
that's cool to hear. being a stereotypical Canadian, I spend a lot of time bs'ing about hockey and the southern US market gets discussed a lot. as a lover of the game and NHL, I wish more American cities would embrace the game as Tampa and area has
Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by superstreet
I made mine too.

Impressive. I did this DIY a while ago in response to seeing the hockey puck units selling for amounts way over what the average C5 owner could make them for. I know some will find them inadequate and want solid pucks much like these. So if you have the talent and machinery required then by all means turn them out. They look very sturdy and well made.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Jack it up and work on it. It don't get much easier than this.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Impressive. I did this DIY a while ago in response to seeing the hockey puck units selling for amounts way over what the average C5 owner could make them for. I know some will find them inadequate and want solid pucks much like these. So if you have the talent and machinery required then by all means turn them out. They look very sturdy and well made.
Thank you very much,Bill. I agree. I wanted solid jacking pucks and wanted them to last. Programmed and machined them out of 6061 T-6 3" bar stock.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:17 PM
87gtNOS
Racer

Thanks guys! My point simply was that money is tight right now!
As for not using pucks, I was just looking for more space under the car for a cheap floor Jack!
I think I am just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a low profile jack and make a puck!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

I have the BMW pucks and have just left them on for over 4 years. You can't really see them due to their low profile.
But if I didn't have the BMW pucks I think I would just use some silicone and glue some hockey pucks to the frame at the specified points and just leave them there.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ing-pucks.html

Last edited by jrprich; 03-31-2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:10 PM
NEVERL8C5
Pro

DYI is not for everyone, understood. And getting hockey pucks in Florida can be tough. Vikes? Oh yeah....with that old guy Brent?, Biff?, what's his name?.....
Found mine at play it again sports in Palm Harbor and only paid $2.oo ea
used ones were a dollar.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

On my last C6 - I did not want to remove the pucks.
I drilled a hole through the center of the puck, on the bottom side I drilled the hole just wider than the bolt head.
Then I attached a folding concrete anchor.
I folded the anchor and pushed it into the hole and tighten the screw.
These pucks were on the car for 100K miles. They are probably still on that car.
I never had to worry when the car went into the tire shop for tires, if the kids knew what they were doing.

I will do the same to the C7 eventually.

Last edited by MikeERWNC; 01-23-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Another DIY Jacking Puck thread