Sponsored by:

Dealership service *opps*

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:17 PM
realvc
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Work the best deal you can with them. They sound like they are trying to do the right thing. Everybody makes mistakes. This is a big mistake and it's your money and your call.
Good luck.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15, ‘18, '21

They do have a 12 month 12k mile warranty
Old 11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 262 Posts

Ah yes....the old 'bait and switch'. They fall for it every time.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck resolving this

Rob
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Lots of things to think of here..

Yes, they made a mistake but... Have you ever made a mistake and hoped the customer is willing to compromise or work with you?

You might want to discuss this with the dealer owner. You could come out ok and be the hero for doing the right thing, plus save someone their job in this economy.
I would request a meeting with the owner/GM on this one. If there is a law on your side, they will know. Give the Titans a chance to wave additionl charges or make a deal. Good luck!
Old 11-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,801 Likes on 14,275 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Would you have agreed to the repair if the price had been quoted right? If so, sounds like the dealership is trying to make this right and offering you a discounted price on the parts plus the rest of the ticket. We all make mistakes - at least they admitted it.

If you would not have agreed to the repair at that price, then do what you have to do.

Lots of people here seem to want the dealerships to eat the cost on this one for what even you admit was probably an honest mistake. Doesn't seem like they were trying to take advantage of you IMO.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Dealerships rock...
Old 11-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Had mine replaced about 3 years ago on my GMPP. The dealership replaced it with a REMANUFACTURED AC-DELCO Unit. Dealership told me that NEW racks were no longer available for the C5 and that ALL were now remanufactured? Anyway, they had to replace it under warranty 2 more times in the next year (also Remanufactured AC Delco units).
Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

Still not worked out, he is not really wanting to match the gmparts price....and for the price no I would have waited and gone to another non dealer shop that does corvettes...just got it and winter is coming.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck! That reminds me to get shop costs in writing.I useally do all my repairs myself because of problems like these.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

Is this a dealership you've worked with before?

I hope you can come to a compromise but the more I read these replies and see both sides I still think that they should give you the price they originally quoted.

Based on the price they originally gave you for the steering rack, it appears you decided to get other things done to the car too. You had a set amout of $$$ you were prepared to spend on the car and planned accordingly. You did not know what to expect price wise on the steering rack and you honestly believed that was a fair price for it.

Then they come back to you AFTER all the work was done to tell you the price was wrong. It's not like you had the option to refuse to have the work done at this time. It sounds like this is something you would have waited on had the amount been given to you correctly or you would have waited on the other items.

It is not fair to you to be forced to pay the extra amount. If the guy that wrote the order up has made this mistake more than once, then he would deserve to lose his job. I'm guessing you can afford this, but imagine someone that took their car in that didn't have the extra $1,000. What would they do?

You both went into this in good faith and the dealership would be much further ahead to go ahead and just charge you the price quoted. This would insure that you will go back and have more work done with them in the future. If I was told I would be paying over $1,000 more than I was quoted, I would never return there again!!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:21 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look at it another way: they could always take out the rack and put your old one back in, charging you only for all the other work that you agreed to.
problem solved.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by G.Rossman
Still not worked out, he is not really wanting to match the gmparts price....and for the price no I would have waited and gone to another non dealer shop that does corvettes...just got it and winter is coming.
Have you called around to the other non-dealer shops for quotes? See if you can come to an agreement somewhere between the non-dealer and the dealer quotes.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Turn one will rebuild your actual rack (and dyno it too) for $250....

takes a week.. Tell the dealer to send your old rack out, rebuild it (so no worries about the source of the rack, since it is your original), and have them pay for the labor.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:33 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

They matched gmpartshouse price plus discounted labor and 10% off the order
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
G.Rossman
Burning Brakes

I opted to not get the front and rear brakes done, I will order the pads and rotors offline and either do it myself or have the other shop that comes highly recomended do it...also going to need new tires.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellent glad they decided to work a deal with you.

Those prices are basically cost plus 10% or jobber pricing, if you will. So you should have ended up in not too bad of shape considering.

The pads are a piece of cake. I'd be sure to order a full pad kit which comes with new spring clips. The OEM pads are not that bad of a deal if you are not racing or tracking the car, Gene Culley will give you a good deal on the AC-Delco kit.

Now rotors be a little more of an issue from at home unless you have a good set of impact tools and a decent compressor. Those caliper mounting bolts have a very high torque value on them. So from a shop perspective getting it up on a lift allows you a better angle to torque those bolts. And remove them.

In both cases, pads and rotors, you do not need to open your brake lines and thus will not need to bleed your brakes. Just drain down the reservoir to just at the minimum level marked on the side. Compress the pads with a C clamp and remove them. I use a hanger to hold the caliper out of the way while I finish the servicing. After you are done, top off the fluid. In any case, after new pads are installed, always burnish the pads before using. Up to 30 MPH bring to a firm stop without locking the brakes, and repeat 20 times. Then park it and let it cool down. I generally do this late in the evening around the subdivision since the speed limit is 30.

Notice in the pictures, top bolt gets removed on the front caliper then it pivots down and lower bolt on the rear calipers then it pivots upward. In the kit you get one new bolt for each side pre-coated. When you need it we can give you the torque values.

Here's a few pictures:

Pad Kit

Hanger and Compressing pistons

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 11-11-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealership service *opps*

Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I can't believe that you fell for their excuse. Classic example of bait and switch. Seriously, they are ripping you off. Sorry, but you need to get any quote in writing to be able to gain leverage when these things happen. It makes me livid that dealerships do this to customers, and still some guys make excuses for them.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Lets give the dealer the benefit of the doubt, they handled it like profesionals, and you were a gentleman. In the event it was a mistake they made pretty good on it. Everyone always goes on the attack that the dealers are the anti-christ, and I'm sure some are. This has been discussed before you cannot compare dealer rates to the local mechanic, dealer 20,000sqft facility on 2 acre parcel, union mechanics. Local Joe 2,000sqft facility on .25acre good mechanics.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

That sounds more like a decent offer.

Quick Reply: Dealership service *opps*