Heater settings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 09:24 PM
coolarrow
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Heater settings?

Silly question here, but what settings do you guys use for interior heating? My C5 has dual-zone and I just can't get it to heat well without setting the interior temp to about 85 degrees. (Outside temp 35-50)

Do you use the "Auto" setting, thus using the A/C compressor?

Or do you use the Manual setting and blow to the floor with A/C switch off?

This is my 4th Vette (1 C3, 3 C4s, 1 C5). Everyone of them have had a hard time heating the inside...Maybe it's just me.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

During the winter (25-35 here) I never use auto, I leave mine set at 85 and have the heat coming out of the front vents facing me. And I run the fan at about 1/3 the way up.
Mr.Bill
Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have to keep my dual zone at about 65 or you'll cook in my car. Mine really heats up fast.
The following users liked this post:
namvet6869 (04-27-2019)
Old 12-06-2010, 11:37 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go manual most of the time to heat. Fire it up to 85 and run high & low vents. Then regulate with window and fan controls. Tonight just for the hell of it, after I warmed up inside I went with AUTO mode, set to 74. I still had window open, fan went down to 3 bars and no AC came on. It was 32 outside. Then I just sat in BB traffic until I got home. I did not get cold and I did not notce anything change, fan, temp. Everything worked as I would expect of auto mode and no AC lamp on.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
HowlinC5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just push the mode button until it blows on the floor only and turn the AC off, if it comes on. I preffer the simple ***** of my f-body to the fancy dual zone on the Vette. Didn't some Vettes come with the *****?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 AM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heater is killer in my car...i use max to warm up then 2 bars to keep it warm
Old 12-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I usually have the temp set at 70* and just let the auto feature keep it at that.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 12-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HowlinC5
i just push the mode button until it blows on the floor only and turn the AC off, if it comes on. I preffer the simple ***** of my f-body to the fancy dual zone on the Vette. Didn't some Vettes come with the *****?
Yep, my 1998 has manual *****, I like them. Dual temp control was an option for some years and then included in an option package.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I leave it in auto almost all the time and just set the temp I want. Generally about the time the coolant temp is about 140 or so, it is beginning to cook inside. This morning it was 34 out, I had it set to 68 and before I was mile or so down the road I was turning it down to low 60's too hot!

The only time I take it out of auto is when the top is down, and I set the mode to the bi-level mode and temp reasonable for the outside temp. So if its in the 90's outside, I set it to 78.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:52 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

I never use Auto but mine heats up fast and is easy to control the temp......
Old 12-07-2010, 09:13 PM
01magnetic01
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Auto all the time here...strangest thing is it seems to default to 73 degrees every time I start the car couple of minutes down the road I just turn it to 68 and leave it
Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 01magnetic01
Auto all the time here...strangest thing is it seems to default to 73 degrees every time I start the car couple of minutes down the road I just turn it to 68 and leave it
Most likely the reason it defaults to 73 is because that is where you have it set in the memory setting with the seats, Mirrors and radio.
Mr.Bill
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
maroman88
Pro

i cant figure out the fancy dual zone auto heater controls... when i turn the car on it does watever the hell it wants and always turns the AC on, ive tried resetting it with the programmed buttons... doesnt help lol i want ***** dammit!!
Old 12-08-2010, 12:08 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

keep in mind that when the AC light comes on when in auto mode and its cold that's not running the AC. I wish GM hadn't made that light come on because its confusing. its saying that its possible for the compressor to kick in while heating as its used to control humidity inside the car. owners manual says specifically that it will not affect how quickly the car heats up.

I have mine set for 73 and flip on the heated seats to get warm fast. winters here are 0-25 degrees for the highs usually. as long as there isn't snow on the ground I'll drive it.

I love the auto control, only complaints I have are:
wish the AC light would stay off when heating, even if the compressor is working
wish the controls would stay visible! I hate that when you put it in auto mode the fan speed and mode indicators turn off as if its in auto mode you don't have to worry about it...well I like to see what settings the computer is selecting.

all of my cars have auto climate controls, and they all do this stupid information hiding while in automatic mode stuff.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 AM
01magnetic01
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Most likely the reason it defaults to 73 is because that is where you have it set in the memory setting with the seats, Mirrors and radio.
Mr.Bill
Thank you sir never even gave that a thought
Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Time for a read of the Owner's Manual:

Your vehicle may be equipped with an Automatic Electronic Dual Climate Control System. This system can automatically adjust and control temperature output, fan speed, air delivery mode, air conditioning operation and air intake. You can use the AUTO (automatic) setting or override the automatic operation with manual control settings. The set temperature will be remembered each time you turn the ignition off and restart in the same settings. You can use the memory option to recall your settings. See “Memory” in the Index.

Digital Display

The digital display shows readings in Fahrenheit or Celsius by pressing the E/M button (English/Metric) on the Driver Information Center (DIC). When you start the vehicle, the display will show the current fan speed, air delivery mode and the driver-set temperature for approximately five seconds and then show the outside temperature.

When the system is fully in the automatic mode, the word AUTO will also appear on the display unless you are in full cold 60°F (16°C) or full hot 90°F (32°C), then the word AUTO will not display. If you have selected a manual fan speed, then the fan symbol will appear on the display. If a manual air delivery mode has been selected, the delivery mode symbol will appear on the display.

Driver Set Temperature ****

The DRIVER **** changes the temperature on the driver’s and passenger’s side of the vehicle. Turn the **** clockwise to increase the temperature and counterclockwise to decrease the temperature. Whenever you turn this ****, the temperature will be displayed for approximately five seconds along with the current fan speed and air delivery mode.

When adjusting the temperature, start with a driver-set temperature of 73°F (23°C) until you determine your comfort zone. If you choose 60°F (16°C), the system will remain at maximum cooling and will not automatically adjust fan speed or air delivery. If you choose 90°F (32°C), the system will remain at maximum heating and will not automatically adjust fan speed or air delivery. Choosing either maximum setting will not cause the system to heat or cool any faster. Turning the **** past either maximum setting has no effect on the operation of the system.

Passenger Temperature Offset

The PASSENGER **** changes the temperature on the passenger’s side of the vehicle. When the **** is in the 12 o’clock position, the passenger’s temperature is the same as the driver’s. Turn the **** clockwise for warmer air on the passenger’s side, counterclockwise for cooler air. If the driver-set temperature is set at 60°F (16°C) or
90°F (32°C), turning the passenger **** has no effect because the system is locked at a maximum setting.

Automatic Operation

Press the AUTO button to place the entire system in the automatic mode. After a five-second display of the current settings, only the word AUTO and the outside temperature will be shown on the digital display unless you are in full cold 60°F (16°C) or full hot 90°F (32°C), then the word AUTO will not display. The system will operate to achieve your comfort set temperature as quickly as possible. The AUTO control system works best with the windows up and the removable roof installed or the convertible top up.

A Typical Cold Weather Example:

Your vehicle has been parked outside overnight in cold weather below 32°F (0°C) and you have set the driver temperature at 73°F (23°C) and have selected the AUTO mode. The system will automatically adjust the temperature output to maximum heating. The fan will start at a low speed. This is to avoid blowing cold air into the vehicle. The length of the delay depends on the amount of time since the engine was last started, the outside temperature and the engine coolant temperature. As the coolant warms up, the fan speed will gradually increase. Air will flow to the floor with some air to the windshield to prevent fogging under most normal conditions.

As the interior of the vehicle warms up to your comfort set temperature, the fan speed will decrease and the temperature output may become cooler. If the interior temperature continues to warm up due to heating from the sun or outside temperature increases, the system may switch to other air delivery modes (typically DEFOG or BI-LEVEL).

A Typical Hot Weather Example:

The vehicle has been parked outside all day in hot weather above 80°F (27°C) and you have set the driver temperature at 73°F (23°C) and have selected the AUTO mode. The system will automatically adjust the temperature output to maximum cooling. The fan will start at a low speed momentarily to push the hot air to the floor of the vehicle and then go to a higher fan speed with cold airflow out of the instrument panel outlets. A small amount of airflow will continue through the lower ducts to cool the floor area.

The air intake may start in the recirculated mode for maximum cooling performance. As the interior of the vehicle cools down to your comfort set temperature, the fan speed will decrease and the temperature output may become warmer. The air intake may shift from recirculation to outside air mode. If the interior continues to cool due to a decrease in the amount of heat the vehicle is absorbing from the sun or a decrease in the outside temperature, the system could switch to other air delivery modes (typically BI-LEVEL or DEFOG).

Manual Settings

With the automatic electronic dual climate control system, there are several manual settings you can use to control the system and override the AUTO operation. You can program the fan speed, air delivery mode, air intake mode and control the air conditioning operation using these settings. The system will still determine the temperature output level based on the driver-set temperature and the passenger temperature offset.

FAN SPEED: Press the button with the fan symbol on it to manually lock in the current fan speed and to stop the automatic fan speed control. Pressing the arrows will delete AUTO from the digital display. The fan graphics with the fan speed bars will be shown. To increase the fan speed so that more air flows into the vehicle, press the UP arrow on the fan switch. To decrease the fan speed and airflow, press the DOWN arrow. The AUTO button must be pressed to return to the automatic fan control.

MODE: Press the MODE button to manually lock in the current air delivery setting and to stop the automatic mode control. Pressing the MODE button will delete AUTO from the digital display and the mode graphics will be shown. To change the setting, press the MODE button again. The AUTO button must be pressed to return to the automatic mode selection.

UPPER: This setting directs most of the air through the instrument panel outlets and a very small amount to the lower outlets.

BI-LEVEL: This setting directs air into the vehicle in two ways. Cooler air is directed toward your upper body through the instrument panel outlets, while warmer air is directed through the lower outlets.

LOWER: This setting directs most of the air to the floor area and some of it toward the windshield and side window vents.

DEFOG: This setting divides the air between the windshield and lower outlets and a small amount toward the side window vents. This is useful when fog appears on the windshield or side glass due to rain or snowy conditions.

Function Buttons

These buttons control climate control ON/OFF, air intake, front defrost, rear defrost and the air conditioning operation.

OFF: Press the OFF button to turn off the climate control system. This is the only setting that fully shuts off the fan. The digital display will show only the outside temperature. You can still adjust the driver set temperature, the passenger temperature offset and the air intake mode while in OFF.

A/C: This button turns the air conditioning compressor off or on under most conditions. The light on the A/C button will come on when the compressor is operating in either the automatic or manual mode. The air conditioning does not operate at temperatures below approximately 35°F to 40°F (2°C to 4°C). The light on the A/C button will flash if pressed when air conditioning is not available. The air conditioning cools and dehumidifies the air coming into the vehicle. The air conditioning cannot be turned off in DEFROST and DEFOG, as it helps to remove moisture from the vehicle. It also helps to keep the windows clear.

If the system is operating in the AUTO mode, turning the air conditioning off will delete AUTO from the digital display and show current mode and fan settings.

The AUTO button must be pressed to return to the automatic mode operation.

The air conditioning may be forced off at high engine speeds or high engine oil or coolant temperatures.

OUTSIDE AIR: Press this button to provide outside air. The light on this air intake button will come on to show when it is operating. When in the AUTO mode, the system automatically selects OUTSIDE AIR instead of recirculate, as required, to control the temperature in the vehicle. By pressing OUTSIDE AIR, the system will lock into the outside air mode. Any adjustment to the air intake must then be made manually. OUTSIDE AIR should be used when trying to defrost or defog windows to help reduce moisture inside of the vehicle.

RECIRCULATE: Press this button to limit the amount of outside air entering the vehicle. The light on this air intake button will come on to show when it is operating. Recirculate is helpful when you are trying to cool the air quickly or trying to limit odors and dust from entering the vehicle. When in the AUTO mode, the system automatically selects recirculate to cool the vehicle’s temperature. By pressing this button, the system will lock into the recirculated air mode.

Any adjustment to the air intake must then be made manually. Recirculation is not available when using the defrost or defog mode because outside air is need to reduce moisture inside of the vehicle.
Operating the system in the recirculation mode may cause fogging of the vehicle’s windows when the weather is cold and damp. To clear the fog, switch the system to either the DEFOG or DEFROST mode and increase the fan speed. To avoid re-fogging of the windows, operate the system in the OUTSIDE AIR mode.

FRONT: Press the FRONT defrost button to quickly remove fog or frost from the windshield. This setting directs most of the airflow to the windshield and a small amount toward the lower and side window outlets. The light on the button will come on and the digital display will show the defrost mode symbol and fan speed when the front defrost mode is being used. Pressing FRONT defrost again will return the system to the last operating mode and the air intake mode will be in OUTSIDE AIR.

If the system is in FRONT defrost when you shut the engine off, it will restart in FRONT defrost unless the engine is off for longer than 40 minutes. If the engine is off longer than 40 minutes, the system will restart in the operating mode you had set prior to FRONT defrost and the air intake mode will be in OUTSIDE AIR. See “Rear Window Defogger” later in this section for more information.

Air Conditioning

On very hot days, the vehicle will cool down more quickly and economically if you open the windows long enough to let hot inside air escape. Then keep the windows closed in order to allow the air conditioning to work best. Maximum cooling will occur when the recirculate setting is operating, airflow direction is in the upper mode, and the temperature **** (on a manual climate control system) is turned all the way to the blue area. These settings will be selected by the automatic electronic dual climate control system if operating in AUTO when maximum cooling is required.

When the air conditioning is on, you may sometimes notice slight changes in the vehicle’s engine performance and power. This is normal. The system is designed to help fuel economy while maintaining the desired cooling level.

The air conditioning removes moisture from the air, so you may notice water dripping from under the vehicle when it is idling or after it has been turned off. This is normal.

Heating

The heater works best if you keep the windows closed. Maximum heating will occur when airflow direction is in the lower mode and the temperature **** (on a manual climate control system) is all the way in the red area. These settings will be selected by the automatic electronic dual climate control system if operating in AUTO when maximum heating is required.

The BI-LEVEL setting is designed for use on sunny days when the air is only moderately warm or cool. On days like these, the sun may adequately warm your upper body, but your lower body may not be warm enough. The BI-LEVEL setting will direct cooler airflow to your upper body and warmer air to the floor area.

If you have the optional engine coolant heater and use it during cold weather 0_F (-18_C) or lower, the heating system will provide heat more quickly because the coolant is already warmed. See “Engine Coolant Heater” in the Index.

Defogging and Defrosting

To rapidly defrost the windshield, the FRONT defrost mode (automatic electronic dual climate control system) or defrost mode (manual control system) should be used and the fan speed should be adjusted to the highest speed. With the manual control system, turn the temperature **** all the way to the red area.

To keep the windshield clear and provide heated air to the floor area of the vehicle, use the DEFOG setting.

Your vehicle is equipped with side window defogger vents located near the side rearview mirrors.

Rear Window Defogger

REAR: This button turns the rear defogger and the heated outside mirrors on. The light on the button will come on when operating. The system automatically shuts off after approximately 15 minutes. If further defogging is desired, press the button again and it will operate for about seven and a half more minutes.

The rear window defogger operates only when the engine is running.

The rear window defogger uses a warming grid to remove fog from the rear window. Do not attach anything like a temporary vehicle license or a decal across the defogger grid on the rear window.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 12-08-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater settings?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I usually have the temp set at 70* and just let the auto feature keep it at that.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Mine is set on AUTO @ 72deg, pretty much year round.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 PM
justanotherdoe
Racer

I run auto mode in summer @78, and manual mode in winter @76. I have dash and floor vents active in manual mode. Hot air in about 4 minutes, blowing air cools in about 10 mins once cabin is up to temperature.

Better milage in Houston traffic using manual this time of year .....

Quick Reply: Heater settings?