Sponsored by:

Scratches on a Black C5 Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:24 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Scratches on a Black C5 Paint?

Those of you with Black C5's what do you use to buff out light scratches on your factory basecoat clearcoat paint job? I have some light scratches that look light gray in color. Can't feel them with your finger nail so they are not deep. Looks like something rubbed against the paint. Scratches came with the car when I bought the car privately last August. I have a buffer that I know how to use as I buffed out automotive lacquer paint in the past. I just don't want to use the wrong compound as it has been awhile since I buffed out any cars. Just need to know the correct product to use on Basecoat clearcoat with a machine and the recommended pad if someone knows.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Take it from me: Corvette paint is is one of the unexplained phenomena known to mankind. It is an extremely hard clearcoat, yet will get scratches if you so much as look at it wrong. What I have found is that there is no way you'll get all of scratches out of black. If you try to do so you'll wind up running screaming into the night, never to be heard from again. I have tried a lot of combinations of polishes, and have found the combo from Meguiars works the best. 105 and 205. Be prepared to spend long days polishing your car. In fact, you'll probably buy a halogen light and polish well into the night, possibly making your neighbors very angry. Head on over to the car care section as well. There are many, MANY long suffering folks like you and I that have to deal with black paint, and have lived to tell about it.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

i agree with the above...
i use menzerna polishes they cut the vette paint with ease and leave a nice gloss
Old 03-05-2011, 12:30 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

turtle wax black box
Old 03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by ffas23
Those of you with Black C5's what do you use to buff out light scratches on your factory basecoat clearcoat paint job? I have some light scratches that look light gray in color. Can't feel them with your finger nail so they are not deep. Looks like something rubbed against the paint. Scratches came with the car when I bought the car privately last August. I have a buffer that I know how to use as I buffed out automotive lacquer paint in the past. I just don't want to use the wrong compound as it has been awhile since I buffed out any cars. Just need to know the correct product to use on Basecoat clearcoat with a machine and the recommended pad if someone knows.
Any of the major products when used properly should do what you are wanting to accomplish. I don't have a black car, but I have a Torch Red and it will show the same scratches maybe not has much as a black car, but there just the same.
I use Adams products with a Porta Cable buffer. Adam has some great videos on the proper use of each product and what to expect. They may help you.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:50 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Black paint is pretty much an art form unto itself. Guys that are really good at keeping black cars looking great (and there are very few of them) are almost cult like. They hang out in the Car Care Forum.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by baxsom
turtle wax black box
Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM
John03
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black paint

I also had the same problem really sucked big time i spent maybe 40hrs.. i used a reg buffer the first time wasnt happy then i went over it with a orbital buffer and 3mm micro polish (( dont buff dry ,, keep very moist))with a blue bad then two coats of wax. looks mint now good luck
Old 03-05-2011, 02:38 PM
--Z06--
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 46 Posts

I use a professional...
Old 03-05-2011, 03:51 PM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

me too, I have a pro do it once a year.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Black isn't a color.

It's a career.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

1. Buy a FLEX dual orbital buffer
2. Menzerna SIP w/orange pad
3. Menzerna Nano Polish w/white pad
4. Zaino Z2pro w/ZFX
5. No more swirls... until a few washes and a couple thousand miles later when they slowly start to creep back... repeat steps 2-4.

In all seriousness, do LOTS of research on buffing. Read the car care forums, youtube videos, test on your beater cars, etc, before touching the Vette. But thankfully with dual orbitals and the stuff I've listed above, you can't really do any damage, so it's pretty safe. LOTS of work though!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:34 PM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC
1. Buy a FLEX dual orbital buffer
2. Menzerna SIP w/orange pad
3. Menzerna Nano Polish w/white pad
4. Zaino Z2pro w/ZFX
5. No more swirls... until a few washes and a couple thousand miles later when they slowly start to creep back... repeat steps 2-4.

In all seriousness, do LOTS of research on buffing. Read the car care forums, youtube videos, test on your beater cars, etc, before touching the Vette. But thankfully with dual orbitals and the stuff I've listed above, you can't really do any damage, so it's pretty safe. LOTS of work though!!!
I know how to buff a car as I have owned a professional buffer for probably better then 30 years just like the body shops use. As I mentioned earlier I have buffed out plenty of Lacquer painted cars back in the day. I am basically only looking for the right product to use on Basecoat Clearcoat Paint since I am not as familiar with this type of paint. Was hoping I could get these light scratches out with a mild compound to start out with. I am familiar with Meguiar products as they work well on my cars. I may try what was recommended to me early on here in the Meguiar products 105 and 205. There are not many of these light scratches otherwise the paint looks great being the car has only 36k miles on it and I believe it was always garage kept most of its life.

Last edited by ffas23; 03-05-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Alex1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may try what was recommended to me early on here in the Mequiar products 105 and 205. There are not many of these light scratches otherwise the paint looks great being the car has only 36k miles on it and I believe it was always garage kept most of its life.

I have black and as a rookie with a pc7424xp and some Lake Country orange and white pads I was very happy with the 105 and 205.
With your experience I am sure you know to start out milder

Care care forum has all you need to know about others good and bad experiences
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
KonaVette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Originally Posted by Chicago
Take it from me: Corvette paint is is one of the unexplained phenomena known to mankind. It is an extremely hard clearcoat, yet will get scratches if you so much as look at it wrong. What I have found is that there is no way you'll get all of scratches out of black. If you try to do so you'll wind up running screaming into the night, never to be heard from again. I have tried a lot of combinations of polishes, and have found the combo from Meguiars works the best. 105 and 205. Be prepared to spend long days polishing your car. In fact, you'll probably buy a halogen light and polish well into the night, possibly making your neighbors very angry. Head on over to the car care section as well. There are many, MANY long suffering folks like you and I that have to deal with black paint, and have lived to tell about it.
and so true...

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Black isn't a color.

It's a career.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
bop
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

keep the buffer off your car. I had a local detailer to do my car with a clay bar. He took out scraches and my cars painted surface is slicker to the touch than the back glass in my coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To Scratches on a Black C5 Paint?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
dmarkshark
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not go to a auto paint supply shop and ask what they recommend. I have some stuff for my sons black car but have not had the time to try it yet, so can't recommend it. But, I did get it at the auto paint shop and thats what they recommended. Its buffer material.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

heres a black car that was a wreck....every inch was scratched.....

spent about 30-40 hours over a week, and this was end result.

all of the products used are avalible from autogeek, but whats not is the experience that it takes to get to this point....I have been doing this for over 20 years as a hobby.

if you have the ability to pay to get it done, thats your best bet. you would probably spend 500 dollars or more to get everything to properly do it yourself then the time it will take, or pay someone 500 and up to get it done depending on your location and shops ability to correct the problem rather than fill it (which 90 percent of the shops will do)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:04 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

2 hours, turtle wax black box

Quick Reply: Scratches on a Black C5 Paint?