Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Default Are We Corvette Snobs or Not

I have thought about this many times and wondering if it was worth bring up. I see a lot of post that really rag on the imports or ricers (and some post are needed) as well as some of the domestic brands. So here is what I was wondering.
I attend many local open car shows throughout the Tampa Bay Area and notice that at many shows if you are in a Corvette many of the other people don't even acknowledge you exist.
There was a post a few days ago about a teacher bragging about how his import eats Corvettes for lunch. There were mixed comments and I was one, but I happened to say that I respect some of the imports out there and there are some that will dust a stock C5.
I was at a weekly cruise in a few weeks ago and was looking at a Ford Gran Torino when the owner came up and we started talking. We must have been talking for about 15 minutes about his car and just cars in general, when he asks me what I had and I told him a C5 Corvette. He said that he was shocked that I was over talking to him, because he always thought that people that drove Corvette's thought that they were above everyone else. I told him that I am a car guy, I just happen to drive a Corvette, but I like all different types of cars and that I really appreciate a well maintained vehicle no matter the brand.
Am I and the only one that thinks this way.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like to think of myself as a car guy. I can look at just about any type of car and don't mind meeting and talking cars with just about anyone at a car show. There are nice imports out there that I would not mind driving like a supra or Acura Nsx I just like Corvettes the most
Old 04-11-2011, 03:10 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds to me like you need to find some other car shows.

They know not of what they speak.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Me, I am not a Corvette snob - I like all cars and I also have respect for many of them too!

But that is not to say that I am not partial to Corvettes - I have always loved the Corvette and always will, it was always a dream to own one and I do -

I grew up going to and taking tours of the GM plant in Van Nuys Ca were my father and grandfather worked and retired from. I am also partial to GM - but again these would be my first choice - in my family we are 2 GM vehicles to one import (wifes car, although I would of rather of bought the new Chevy CRUZE )

Thanks,Matt
Old 04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Those with that elitist attitude are not true car enthusiats and are missing most of what the car world has to offer. It's the sheer variety and creativity in the automotive world that is so interesting. I have driven many different cars in my lifetime, both domestic and foreign and no one type/brand/model of car has it totally over all the others.

I currently own two C5's, a Hummer H3 and a MINI Cooper S. All four offer something unique the other three don't and make it a unique experience each time I get behind the wheel of each of them.

I have always been a car guy - not a Corvette guy - and have admired everything from muscle cars to Astons to Ferraris to Audis to Nissans to etc. The Corvette fits in there somewhere but it's not only car I want parked in my garage.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
MCVetteLs6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would like to say i am not a snob when it comes to cars. i do love all cars...

but i will admit that sometimes while driving around a ricer might pull up next to me and give it a few revs.. and under my breath i might say.. "seriously.. im driving a corvette"
Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM
khafe458
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people I find who drive corvettes have a passion for cars, myself included. That's not to say there aren't some out there that think they are better than the rest because they have a corvette, I tend to see that more with C6 owners, but most corvette owners are car guys but like corvettes the most.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:28 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

$ for $-Nothing beats a Vette from Europe or Japan.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:29 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

I'm a car guy. But yes, being a former 'other car" guy. Many of them do think Corvette owners aren't real car guys. You can see that here. Several C5 owners have never had a performance car and when they sell the one they have they won't return. But they sure as hell like to talk smack.

I've always been a car guy so yes I will talk smack about some import that looks like a bug and has no soul, I don't care if the damn thing goes 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. Wow it has a turbo. BFD

Am I a snob? Don't know don't care!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I am not nor are many of my friends , but having said that I believe many outside the corvette community do not care for us. I go to open shows and corvette only and the cruiser group seems to look down on us and in fact many times at any car that is newer than the 70's.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM
jbower
Instructor

I enjoy ALL cars but have the heart for a Corvette. I talk and like all cars.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Many of us are "car guys" and many of us are Corvette drivers. It's the drivers that give us a bad name.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert 2000
I like to think of myself as a car guy. I can look at just about any type of car and don't mind meeting and talking cars with just about anyone at a car show. There are nice imports out there that I would not mind driving like a supra or Acura Nsx I just like Corvettes the most
I think of myself as a car guy that owners and drivers a Corvette.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Vette snob? I can see how it happens, but I think most folks get over it pretty quickly.

After 35 years of being a sports-car lover and Vette "dismisser," it took one drive in a C4 to see the error of my ways. That was 2005 and I upgraded to a C5 in 2009.

The truth is, NOTHING else delivers what the Vette does at anything near the price. Sure there are plenty of Vette snobs who don't understand that some people want what the Vette cannot and won't deliver -- they dismiss many wonderful and entertaining cars and are cutting off their snooty noses to spite their wrinkled faces.

But, there are also many folks like me who remember the smogged-up slugs driven by gold-bedecked posers from about 1972-1982. These cars could not compete in performance or quality with Japanese imports selling for less, and really were not much quicker than many similar-priced European cars with far nicer appointments and much better handling (I know, I had a number of each). Easy to be an "anti-Vette snob" given those experiences. Today, unless exposed to C4-C6 Vettes, such folks cannot accept that the Vette is a world-class near-supercar made possible by design genius, creative engineering, semi-mass production, and some scrimping on quality and feel items. Well worth the trade off once you get your Vette out on the road.

Of course, I went off the deep end, got a bit involved in Vettes as a hobby, did a number of shows, etc. In the end, I think that gets a bit boring and I really value what a lot of different driving experiences bring. My son has a Miata, and there are times I really prefer driving that to the Vette (not often to be fair). And, I almost never go to a Vette show any more -- I like more diversity (and fewer Vette snobs -- although in my experience there are very few of these in the hobby today).
Old 04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

I got a lot of talk from the imports when I drive the 72 BB around. Nothing like a honda chirping out in front of you at a stop light. Down here on the space coast of Fl I can drive my C5 daily and never get even a nod but on the rare days when I bring out the C3 Vert I have to plan extra driving time because of the parking lot conversations I get in.

Last edited by baxsom; 04-11-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Vette_Minded
Drifting

I find that that every type of car or car group has their stereotypes. Usually in a group you'll have one or two that fit that stereotype and unfortunately they're the ones that people notice.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

last year I went on the Hot Rod power tour with one other vette and 3 other cars.

The other guys gave us vette owners crap the whole trip. But they left early and the vettes were the last ones standing, or cruising if you prefer!

Get notified of new replies

To Are We Corvette Snobs or Not

Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Razzputon
Pro

Originally Posted by TR6speed
He said that he was shocked that I was over talking to him, because he always thought that people that drove Corvette's thought that they were above everyone else.
I'm personally torn. I am a Corvette owner and I own a Toyota 4Runner. I wont talk to myself anymore and hate myself for it.......
Old 04-11-2011, 04:01 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I think most of us that attend mixed car shows are mostly "car guys" vs. "Vette Snobs".

I do know some Corvette owners that are very Corvette-centric and usually only attend Corvette-based events. Perhaps that is where the "snob" factor comes into play.

I know one guy who owns a new C6 Z06 and can't understand why he doesn't take home a tophy at every show he attends. Depending on the type of show, what kind of cars the show attracts and most importantly, where the show is located or who is sponsoring the show, trophies may not be presented to the newest and most expensive car. Corvette or not.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
MCVetteLs6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Razzputon
I'm personally torn. I am a Corvette owner and I own a Toyota 4Runner. I wont talk to myself anymore and hate myself for it.......

Quick Reply: Are We Corvette Snobs or Not