got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12
Default got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed

ive owned a corvette for about a month now. this is probably my third time driving it. first time where a state trooper saw me. (i live in a smaller city, went on the interstate today)

I have NEVER had any issues with any mods on any other car before.
so heres what i got.

-illegal side window tint 14% - his meter read 15.4?
-excessive rear window tinting 4% - read 4.4 but its the same darkness as the sides?
-failure to display front license plate (this one doesnt upset me)
-excessive window tint on windshield. apparently it cant go below the A|S printed on the side. if you draw a line straight across it doesnt, but on the corners it does because it curves.
-turn signal covers rear. i had those black covers on.
-brake light covers/obstructed. again, the covers on.

he also said my exhaust. (corsa touring) but didnt write that up but still told me to put the stock on. yeah. no way that would happen.

the part that pisses me off the most is the tinting. this stuff isnt any darker than almost every other tinting i see on the road. not to mention factory stuff. supposedly you cant have any less than 35% in wisconsin. just thought I would rant/share.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Jay_Rich
Racer

wow what did you do to **** him off! Maybe he is a mustang owner :p

Jay
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

you figure the tint tickets would be grouped as 1 and the same thing with the tickets for the blackouts... what a jerk cop, should be out catching rapists, murderers, drug dealers, etc... atleast most of it you can easily fix and get the tickets dismissed hopefully... only thing that should cost is the tint unless you just remove it yourself and leave it as is
Old 05-01-2011, 07:40 PM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad he set you straight. You were going down a dark path......
Old 05-01-2011, 07:41 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It seems a little much that he wrote all of those tickets for the same thing, tinting.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Another power freak on a do gooder trip...can't have a citizen thinking he can tint illegally! God knows how that is only a gateway violation and before you know it....you're gonna let a lightbulb burn out!!!!!

Thank the Lord above he only wrote you warnings to save the utter humilation of standing before the courts Judge and having all that media coverage!!
Oh my bad...he DID write you tickets....That turd will burn in hell one day...

Last edited by sfc rick; 05-01-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I learned the hard way when I was younger about fighting the LEOs on this stuff.

I was living near Chicago and I tinted the side and rear windows of my Thunderbird SC. I also had a smoked plate cover on the back. A local LEO (same town I lived in) pulled me over and gave me a warning. I mistakenly thought that once he realized that I lived there and that I was a nice, honest, hardworking citizen, he would let it go.

A week later I passed him again and he literally hit the lights, performed a U-Turn, pulled me over and ticketed me on the spot.

The ticket required that I had to go to court to demonstrate that I had removed the offending modifications. Thinking I was just going to get my hand slapped, the (lady) judge read me the riot act and maintained the fines. What I will always remember was that the judge was wearing a Star Trek label pin on her robe.

I now live in Florida where window tint is legal (to a certain degree) and I don't need to run a front plate. Even with that, I have kept my other medications (LED Halos, ACA HID projectors and Corsa Indy Exhaust) within the limits to not draw extra attention. I won't go near blackouts.

I know our gut reaction is to think they have nothing better to do, however I know some friends who are cops and none of them like approaching any car with tinted windows and not being able to see the driver/occupants. They also told me if you ever get pulled over, the best thing you can do to try and get out of the ticket is to lower your windows (tint or no tint) immediately after you stop. The sooner the LEO can see the driver and occupants, the better.

Last edited by MSG C5; 05-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

i havent done anything with my front plate for 2 reasons. waiting on the custom plates to show up, and i was going to a car show. So I left the cover on. I know you arent supposed to drive without one.

but now I have 2 weeks to rip the tint off and try to clean it up. talk bout money down the drain (even though I bought it like that). it adds so much to the car. plus 4% cannot be right. I can see through the back without any issue.

and i get married in 4 weeks. we wanted to get some pics with the car (with the tint on!) otherwise its boring. haha.

I wasnt speeding or anything either! I actually try to obey the laws.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I learned the hard way when I was younger about fighting the LEOs on this stuff.

I was living near Chicago and I tinted the side and rear windows of my Thunderbird SC. I also had a smoked plate cover on the back. A local LEO (same town I lived in) pulled me over and gave me a warning. I mistakenly thought that once he realized that I lived there and that I was a nice, honest, hardworking citizen, he would let it go.

A week later I passed him again and he literally hit the lights, performed a U-Turn, pulled me over and ticketed me on the spot.

The ticket required that I had to go to court to demonstrate that I had removed the offending modifications. Thinking I was just going to get my hand slapped, the (lady) judge read me the riot act and maintained the fines. What I will always remember was that the judge was wearing a Star Trek label pin on her robe.

I now live in Florida where window tint is legal (to a certain degree) and I don't need to run a front plate. Even with that, I have kept my other medications (LED Halos, ACA HID projectors and Corsa Indy Exhaust) within the limits to not draw extra attention. I won't go near blackouts.

I know our gut reaction is to think they have nothing better to do, however I know some friends who are cops and none of them like approaching any car with tinted windows and not being able to see the driver/occupants. They also told me if you ever get pulled over, the best thing you can do to try and get out of the ticket is to lower your windows (tint or no tint) immediately after you stop. The sooner the LEO can see the driver and occupants, the better.
I start by handing them my Concealed carry permit...then when they ask me where it's at, I tell them. Then it's all rosy after that.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rtpassini
i havent done anything with my front plate for 2 reasons. waiting on the custom plates to show up, and i was going to a car show. So I left the cover on. I know you arent supposed to drive without one.

but now I have 2 weeks to rip the tint off and try to clean it up. talk bout money down the drain (even though I bought it like that). it adds so much to the car. plus 4% cannot be right. I can see through the back without any issue.

and i get married in 4 weeks. we wanted to get some pics with the car (with the tint on!) otherwise its boring. haha.

You're lucky you didn't end up having the county take mugshots! That tint could have gotten you on the terrorist watchlist!!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

All it takes is a LEO in a bad mood. We've all had bad days at work, now imagine you have a badge to go along with that attitude and then you see a great looking Corvette with tinted windows and (well you know the rest of the story)...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:03 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Any chance you could have that tint data rechecked with a properly calibrated instrument? Sounds like you could prove his was incorrect on a couple of those measurements...a judge would respect your efforts...worth a try I think.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Glad he set you straight. You were going down a dark path......
Same here only I got one for loud exhaust, Tinted windows, Blacking out tell lights, Also told me he has been looking for me in town from the sound of the car... I did tell him thanks and he didnt like that at all.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Take it to court, and try your chances....my last equipment violation ticket-fest was driving a tubbed, pro-street car with a 8-71 blower hanging out of the hood...I got 27 in one sitting. The Judge took one look, concluded that it was obvious harrasment, and threw them all out.

I'm not saying you'll get out of them, but why not?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

My wife was stopped by a Highway Patrol Trooper and got a speeding ticket (10 over) plus a ticket for no vehicle registration which she had. She has been driving for 43 years and never received a ticket in her life. We had just bought a new 2010 GMC Acadia and the registration we receive from the dealer was not like the one we receive when we renew are license plates. The trooper did not like the registration and said it was not what we should have.
I have a friend on the county sheriff's department and when I told him about my wife's tickets he told me that the HP troopers were told if they stop someone they are to write as many tickets as they see violations for. It is the state of the economy, they need to meet their budget or lose troopers. Maybe it is something like that in Wisconsin. I was able to get the registration ticket cleared up but still had to pay $256.00 for the other ticket.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TR6speed
My wife was stopped by a Highway Patrol Trooper and got a speeding ticket (10 over) plus a ticket for no vehicle registration which she had. She has been driving for 43 years and never received a ticket in her life. We had just bought a new 2010 GMC Acadia and the registration we receive from the dealer was not like the one we receive when we renew are license plates. The trooper did not like the registration and said it was not what we should have.
I have a friend on the county sheriff's department and when I told him about my wife's tickets he told me that the HP troopers were told if they stop someone they are to write as many tickets as they see violations for. It is the state of the economy, they need to meet their budget or lose troopers. Maybe it is something like that in Wisconsin. I was able to get the registration ticket cleared up but still had to pay $256.00 for the other ticket.
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! That's the real reason to keep the over the top mods down and try to keep the speed where it needs to be. It's all about the $$$

Throw in the perceived "rich guy who drives a Corvette" stereotype and it only makes it more obvious!
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Just to show the other side of the coin

Ive owned a corvette since 1958... Ive never had a ticket in all those years... I have been stopped ten times in those 50 some years but always the stop was to check my license and registration but for the most part it was just to admire the car... There have been times when , I could have been stopped for doing something I should not have been doing but a cop was never around...I have been lucky... State Police are more professional than most local police and rarely push anything unless they feel as though they are being disrespected...If the offender ( offer any remorse ) or offer to fix ASAP. the police will usually let you go, if its not a moving violation... tint is not a moving violation..the slightest back talk will get you 6 or seven tickets, if they " have you" and you try to be disrespectful they will unload on you.. they usually don't unload if you are respectful. When you get 7 tickets at one time it sounds like you gave then excuse to unload.. Of course I was not there.. If you were legal all I can say is fight it.. if you were illegal then learn from your experience. Not displaying a front plate in many states
is against the law.. many people get away with it but if you show attitude they will write everything they can.. and who is the winner?? it wont be you..
Just some experience from a very old Corvette owner, over many years.
Bill aka ET
BTW I have never been treated with anything but respect from any police officer that has ever stopped me be they local or state police.. Two of my Best friends are New Jersey State police Highway Patrol officers and over the years they have told me that most disrespectful motorists get the brunt of their wrath. Where as most respectful and apologetic motorist get off much easier.. which seems logical to me.

Get notified of new replies

To got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

something else that doesnt make sense, is over winter, i reported this *** that almost took us out because of all the snow. he had his whole rear window COVERED in snow. the police officer said it isnt illegal to have snow covering your rear window...but you cant have "dark" tint that you can still see out of?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-illegal side window tint 14% - his meter read 15.4?
-excessive rear window tinting 4% - read 4.4 but its the same darkness as the sides?...
California doesn't allow ANY tinting of front windshield or passenger or driver's side window.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

WOW, That sucks, You must of really pissed him off, Did you show an attitude when he stopped you? If you did I would say you just kept making it worse.

Quick Reply: got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed