[Z06] Scratched!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Shlongor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Scratched!

Came out to my car at work 45 minutes after parking it and now it has a ~6-7 inch long scratch just behind the passenger side door. It's hard to see in the picture, but it has about 1mm depth to it so it won't "buff out". I cleaned it up a bit with some water and a rag and it seems the white is whatever material (not fiberglass?) the panel is made out of. It's kind of jagged like a keying but seems short to be intentional. The car I parked next to had not moved (guy I work with) so I know it was someone walking between the cars.

Am I correct in assuming something like this will be cheap at a good bodyshop? My comprehensive deductible is $200 I think cause anything under that made my premium go up quite a bit. I THINK I can get it fixed for around that, maybe less but I'd like someone with experience to chime in. I don't want to just leave it there because otherwise the car is nearly immaculate condition.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 PM
darbn
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is terrible.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM
BLKWDWZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have them pull tapes if they are available, this is one of the reasons I cant dd my car. my gto is dinged to hell because of careless people like this. im almost positive it can be sanded and repainted, they may fill it if it is deep, but i really think it would be in the 700 to 1000 dollar range, i had a quarter panel painted that was keyed and that was what I was charged
Old 05-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this, freakin terrible. It's dissapointing how careless people are.

I wish it could be fixed cheap, but there is no way to fix that properly for $200.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
Seraphus
Instructor

A good shop should charge your from $500-$700 to do it, they would need to blend into the door if you want an almost flawless job. In fact, no good shop should paint that close to another panel and NOT blend.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Shlongor
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

No tapes. Happened while at work... on a Marine Corps base. Supposed to be all "you police each other" or something. I was parked outside the Group (same as Regiment, but air wing) headquarters too. Lame.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 446 Likes on 383 Posts

Red can be matched easier than metal flake colors. So that's a good thing.

Remove the door handle (easy) remove (and/ or replace w/ new) the rubber seal at the top of the door by the window.

Tape and paper the jams and under carriage.

Sand the door (or strip the paint to retain your mil thickness).

Not sure if shop can "butt match" the color and texture else they will blend onto the fender and quarter. May need to remove more parts to avoid edges.

Sand and polish the clear coat to match existing texture or sand and polish entire car to match new texture.

Cost....take your area labor rate and multiply by number of hours (plus materials and EPA fees). I'd say 12 hours.

Vandalism sucks.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:12 PM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That guy must have been tired, because I had 1 front to back on my car.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:19 PM
budnate
Instructor

ask around if there is a good mobile dent guy in your area...I have a guy that is really good up here, they use a kind of epoxy product for filler and it dries fast with the heat lamp, wet sand with 1500 and does not shrink back like bondo can, then blow a little color on...if the guy is really good he can match the peal in your paint. my guy does stuff like that for 2/3 bills and you cant tell where he has been.

Peace, B.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That is why I do this--I always bring my friend Blazer--A very well trained Dobberman that sits by my vette when I leave--My car is flawless----May i suggest an AK-47 for the person who did this!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Shlongor
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

I wish I could have a dog. Single Marines that aren't SNCOs or officers are basically treated like retarded children... regardless of how much more fit, intelligent, and downright sexy they may be...

I guess I could get married. Then I'd get my grown-***-man card back. I joined at 21 so I have the disadvantage of being immune to brainwashing .
Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Sorry about the scratch.Looks like it was keyed to me.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Looks keyed to me as well and one reason why my Z06 isn't a daily driver.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:11 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Shylor
Looks keyed to me as well and one reason why my Z06 isn't a daily driver.

Issue a CODE RED on the fool that did it if you find them.

I feel for you bro, that blows! I am retiring at the end of the year and live on base Pearl Harbor. I do my best to park my ride out of sight and out of mind, but that doesn't stop me from being a nervous everytime I go out to my ride. People just don't care about other people's belongings.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Shlongor
Racer

St. Jude Donor '12

Oh well I got some goodies on the way to cheer me up... hopefully the stock clutch can hold out (no tracks on Oahu so.. not TOO worried). That should cheer me up.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 AM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by budnate
ask around if there is a good mobile dent guy in your area...I have a guy that is really good up here, they use a kind of epoxy product for filler and it dries fast with the heat lamp, wet sand with 1500 and does not shrink back like bondo can, then blow a little color on...if the guy is really good he can match the peal in your paint. my guy does stuff like that for 2/3 bills and you cant tell where he has been.

Peace, B.
ditto above...i just did this to a friends porsche...his "dog" jumped up and put a bunch of scratches on it..got um all out... filler..or touch up , then sand with 1500 grit( lots of detail spray)..then buff it using a polish product..maguaires glaze 9 or so...... turned out great...
drive your Z ...you will get others, and i do my Z every 6 mo.'s or so..Stuff happens..
bud
Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Shlongor
Oh well I got some goodies on the way to cheer me up... hopefully the stock clutch can hold out (no tracks on Oahu so.. not TOO worried). That should cheer me up.
You are on Oahu? So am I. A bunch of us are cruising on the 29th (next Sunday), you should cruise with us. Shoot me your info and I call or email you the details. I am running LTs, a VR and a CAM and so far my stock clutch is holding. I have a new clutch in a box, but I am not looking forward to doing the install and want to wait until I get back home to do it. I retire in December.

Again, sorry about the scratch mang.

Get notified of new replies

To Scratched!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Scratched!