Sponsored by:

Synthetic Oil vs Regular Oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
Run your favorite oil. Change it when you think it is time and send a sample off to be tested. If it comes back with a good report, keep doing what you are doing. Anything else is speculation.

Buy the best you can afford & change them as often as you can afford .Maint doesn't cost...it pays!
\db2
carolina
Old 05-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Zinc is being replaced with Titanium in better oils now.

Just an FYI

"Kendall Super D-XA™ Diesel Engine Oil"

Do they make it for non-Diesel Engines?
Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Manny De Leon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not one to tinker with original design...I use Mobile 1 Synth like the engineer suggest.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:49 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
"Kendall Super D-XA™ Diesel Engine Oil"

Do they make it for non-Diesel Engines?
Not sure why you're telling me this. LOL
Old 05-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

guess C5NA
Not sure why you're telling me this. LOL

Guess C5Naties link was for diesel oil?

http://www.conocophillipslubricants...._titanium.aspx
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

OH! LOL!

OK... Yeah, what I was talking about was a general oil technology that isn't limited to diesel or gasoline. I just used Castrol Edge w/ Titanium in my dad's car when I did his tune up. When I saw the "with Titanium" on the label I looked up what that was about. Interesting stuff, I tell you. Very interesting stuff.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

OH! LOL!

OK... Yeah, what I was talking about was a general oil technology that isn't limited to diesel or gasoline. I just used Castrol Edge w/ Titanium in my dad's car when I did his tune up. When I saw the "with Titanium" on the label I looked up what that was about. Interesting stuff, I tell you. Very interesting stuff.

btw...in April 2004 I had a chance to get a brand new yellow ZO6 like yours instead of my TR vert(for the same price)...dammit

Last edited by Yello95; 05-30-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:36 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

guess C5NA

Guess C5Naties link was for diesel oil?

http://www.conocophillipslubricants...._titanium.aspx
Kendall GT Syn comes with liquid Ti and is for reg gasoline cars. That was just the first link I saw, plus I use oil for diesels in my car.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 AM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

OH! LOL!

Agreed. If it does what its claimed to do it should be really good.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:03 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

btw...in April 2004 I had a chance to get a brand new yellow ZO6 like yours instead of my TR vert(for the same price)...dammit
Yeah, I was originally torn between blue and yellow. I had an '02 Electron Blue Z06 before and I really loved it so much. (I really miss it too)

But after I drove an 04 CE Z06, I decided I wouldn't settle for anything less than Millennium Yellow.

I still want another blue Corvette, but only in addition to my MY Z.

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Agreed. If it does what its claimed to do it should be really good.
That's what I'm hoping. I trust science so I'm really banking on Ti being a lot better. If it is true that it helps prevent wear on the motor and helps prevent cats from going bad, It's possible that LSx motors could go a lot further than 200K miles.

This is the basic use of Ti in Motor Oil from "bobistheoilguy.com"
Titanium is a newer, more environmentally friendly anti-wear additive being implemented due to more stringent emissions regulations, and is phasing out the older, more harmful phosphorous compounds such as ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate). ZDDP reduces the effectiveness of the catalysts in catalytic converters by creating a plating effect when combusted, and covering the catalyst while Titanium does not. Titanium chemically binds to wear surfaces creating a hard, Titanium based oxide layer which reduces friction, thereby reducing wear. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:17 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Manny De Leon
i'm not one to tinker with original design...I use Mobile 1 Synth like the engineer suggest.
Im gonna keep this going because Im off work today and nothing better to do. You mean like the marketing dept says right?
Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by C5Natie
Kendall GT Syn comes with liquid Ti and is for reg gasoline cars. That was just the first link I saw, plus I use oil for diesels in my car.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Christina Quiroz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with what you're saying. I've told many of my stupid cheap friends that they should NOT own a Corvette. They always think I'm being a "Vette snob" but my reasons are simple. They're going to destroy the Vette. One told me he'd run 87 because the LS1 CAN run 87 and there's no point to spending more. One of my closest friends would put used plugs and wires in from other cars to do a tune up. I have a friend that would never use anything other than water to fill the radiator. I think I have more cheap friends than friends that would actually spend the money to take care of their car.

The way I feel about it, the Vette is a hobby. It's also transportation. You treat the Vette well and it will treat YOU well. Since the day I bought both of my Vettes, the only gasoline that I've put in has been Chevron 91 (primary) or Shell 91 (if I can't find Chevron). The only oil I've used in my Z06 is Amsoil signature series. I've only used the Amsoil filter. And although Amsoil says the oil should last me 12000 miles, I change it long before. I used Amsoil trans and diff fluid too.

I buy the best stuff for my car because I want my car to last. And considering how hard I beat on it, it's doing better than ALL of my cheap friends' cars. And believe me, they don't beat on their cars nearly as much. How you treat your car shows.

BTW, my friend that refuses to put new plugs and wires in his car borrowed my Nissan 300zx (z32) and messed up the motor bad by not listening to me or reading the instructions on the gas door and filled her up with 87 for 2 weeks. That motor is a high compression (10.5:1) motor and back then they didn't retard timing enough. So that motor was pinging and knocking VERY bad when I got it back. I told him 91 gas only. He told me, "It'll run on any gas. Shut up." So that was the last time I'd ever let him borrow a car.
I hear you on. That... I lent some one one of my Vettes an because they didn't respect my baby like me I ended up putting a new engine at 7200.00 it's sad to say I learned a hard lesson but I won't repeat that mistake ever again an no one drives my 2 babies.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:35 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Just to set the record straight

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
That was interesting. But I didn't get the same interpretation as you did.

Mobile One was one of his choices although he preferred Redline and Renewable. Depending on the viscosity. He also drives a Ferrari so I wonder what if anything that has to do with it.

But Mobile 1 is just a contract thing with GM. Any quality oil synthetic or otherwise will do. But he did give a thumbs up to synthetics overall from what I read.
A Camaro LS1 is not A Corvette. People seem to work hard at trying to find fault with GM engineering. The Mobil 1 spec is found in the Corvette for a reason and NO not all oil is the same. be it synthetic or synthetic blend or Dino oil. The biggest difference is the additive package When the C5 was designed, it had a unique cooling system. IT was designed as a bottom breather, and designed to be benchmarked for 200,000 miles. The Camaro LS1 is " NOT " a bottom breather and does not run a variable heat range like the Corvette LS1. The additive package in Mobile 1 has a special additive design specifically to run at high temperature. This was Not a marketing tool as so many seem to think. it was designed to be the lubricant that would allow this motor to see 200,000 miles in testing and certification. Many members have private messaged me about their LSX motor with in excess of 200,000, 300,000 and 400,000 miles. There use to be a thread here with high mileage C5's all using Mobile 1. .IN any event, I use Mobil 1 because I saw the results in testing. and its all I would ever want to use.
Its your choice.
Bill
I know a few things because I have seen a few things

Old 11-05-2018, 01:10 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

The OP's question isn't dumb. Today's oils are much better than they were when the C5 was designed. Today's conventional oils are almost as good as the full synthetics. I would still run full syn in the C5 though because it calls for it...
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Golfingbob
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
The engineers that designed the motor specify synthetic oil - I have no reason to argue with their choice.
Does anyone use the GM Synthetic Oil

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil vs Regular Oil