2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Corsa X-Pipe - Is It Worth It?

I am currently running the Corsa Indy Pro Tips exhaust system and love the sound and performance. I am considering installing an aftermarket 1/4" aluminum, thermal shielded tunnel plate and since I will have the exhaust system dropped, I was thinking about adding the Corsa X-Pipe. In addition, I am planning to install a Calloway Honker air intake and tune the engine.

Is the X-pipe worth it in terms of better sound and/or performance or should I pass on it?

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-18-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

It is my understanding that an X-pipe provides very lttle or no performance improvement. It does help reduce or eliminate the popping from the exhaust on deceleration. If you are experiencing that, and if you don't like it (some do) now would be the time to get the x-pipe. Otherwise.....

JMHO
Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jbondfl
It is my understanding that an X-pipe provides very lttle or no performance improvement. It does help reduce or eliminate the popping from the exhaust on deceleration. If you are experiencing that, and if you don't like it (some do) now would be the time to get the x-pipe. Otherwise.....

JMHO
Thanks. I do hear some popping during deceleration after I've been on it, however I sort of like the sound as long as I'm not damaging the system.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:02 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the Corsa Sport (Pace Car, Indy) exhaust installed last month. My mechanic, who also has a Corvette with the Corsas, recommended the X-pipe to eliminate the popping noises as was said above.

For anyone considering the X-pipe, be aware that you must carefully measure and CUT the existing H-pipe out first. Corsa provides clamps to mount the X-pipe to the cut exhaust pipes. The point is, if you ever want to bring 'er back to stock, you have to weld those old pipes together again.

Anyway, I am very pleased with my Corsa exhaust with the X-pipe.

s'noJob

Last edited by s'noJob; 06-18-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-22-2017)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An X pipe will get rid of MOST of the popping on decel,and the "burble"(motorboat) sound at idle will be gone.
No performance improvement that I noticed(Corsa Touring),but the sound of the exhaust accelerating and decelerating is "higher" I guess I'd call it,maybe a little more "exotic" for want of a more/better descriptive term.(IMO a better sound)
Tip: If you do end up installing one,put a little oil on/in the ends of the pipes before you slide them on-makes it a HELL of a lot easier to slide the X pipe on-it'll smoke for a minute when you first fire it up,till the oil burns off-no biggie.
I went with the WCC trueX pipe-the Corsa looks to me like they just scabbed 2 pipes together,while the WCC ,Bassani,and Magnaflow have an actual X chamber.(guess that's what you'd call it),and they're about $100 cheaper than the Corsa-at least they were when I bought mine.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carcass
... the sound of the exhaust accelerating and decelerating is "higher" I guess I'd call it,maybe a little more "exotic" for want of a more/better descriptive term. ...
Here are two statements made from members of my Corvette club, FWTW.

From one who races at the track: "An H-pipe will have a lower, more American muscle car pitch than an X-pipe."

From another member: "The Corsa exhaust system has a higher pitch; sort of like a European sports car. If you want a good muscle car sound, stick with the Borlas."

Just their four cents.

s'noJob
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

X-pipe is great for getting rid of that motorboat burble sound. It won't add power, but it smooths out the exhaust pulses by doing a better job of scavenging equally from both sides. I have it on both of my cars equipped with Corsa. I recommend it highly to my customers, and frankly any X-pipe will work.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed a Magnaflow X-Pipe about 4 years ago to get rid of the exhaust jingle (sounds like loose change in a can- turbulence in the H Pipe).

It got rid of that noise. However, the exhaust lost much of it's aggressive bark. I had to remedy that by adding a Corsa Extreme cat back.

If you don't have the jingle sound from the H-Pipe keep it stock is my suggestion.

YMMV
Old 06-18-2011, 03:14 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think my car sounds better at idle with the x-pipe and I didn't like the decel popping. It took care of that.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
steele11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For myself it was worth it. I had the borla straight pipes and it sounded, cheap, motorboat like. The x pipe quieted down the sound and gave it a much nicer note. Not sure how your corsa sounds. Oh it also helped with drowning.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by steele11
Oh it also helped with drowning.
That's where the motorboat comes in.

s'noJob
Old 06-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by jbondfl

JMHO
When I had my '00, I had a lot of popping and drone from my B&B Route 66 catback. Installed a Bassani X-pipe and it did eliminate the majority of the drone/popping. As far as performance is concerned, I really didn't notice any difference.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had no choice in the question of to install or not.
My orginal rusted off at the flange.
No regrets on installing it.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:45 PM
MJinPA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I am currently running the Corsa Indy Pro Tips exhaust system and love the sound and performance. I am considering installing an aftermarket 1/4" aluminum, thermal shielded tunnel plate and since I will have the exhaust system dropped, I was thinking about adding the Corsa X-Pipe. In addition, I am planning to install a Calloway Honker air intake and tune the engine.

Is the X-pipe worth it in terms of better sound and/or performance or should I pass on it?

I was in your position exactly a week ago. I just got my Corsa Pace Car's installed and chose to go WITHOUT the x pipe. I honestly do not get much burble and popping but when I do hear it, I love it. If you like a little burble (and it's not that much) then screw the x pipe. Almost $400 for nothing.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

As many of you were, I was in high school during the early seventies. I remember my classmates driving muscle cars that Mommy and Daddy bought for them to keep them occupied so they could make more babies.

I remember Juniors and Seniors pulling up in brand new Camaros, Boss 302 Mustangs, Chevelle SSs, Cougars, Firebirds, 442s, Challengers, Barracudas, GTOs, and of course, Corvettes. Oh, to have those cars now.

I don’t remember all the mods, but I do remember the brands: Edelbrock, Hurst, Holley, Cragar, Firestone, Hooker, Champion, Fram, Keystone, Mallory, Bilstein, Doug Thorley, Monroe, Comp, Thrush, etc.

My family was not as well off as my classmates, so my first car was a beat up ’61 VW Beetle I bought from a teacher for $200 I had earned over the summer.

Anyway, I digress. In their day, many of the muscle cars demonstrated numerous small backfires as the throttle was released. Sometimes the level of backfire seemed to define power in our imagination. Which sounded more powerful? The loud car with the GA-GA-GA-GA between gears, or the quieter one without?

And who can’t remember that blub blub blub blub sound of the idling muscle car?

My point is this: I don’t know if those cars had x-pipes back then or not, but if any of us have been conditioned to associate those noises with power, then our Corvettes without x-pipes will sound pleasing to us. To me, it would seem that a car would run better and longer without all that extraneous sound. I’m just not sure. My ‘Vette has the x-pipe.

s’noJob
Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Robert 2000
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If it were me I would consider a set of headers instead of an X Pipe. I know you didn't ask about headers but if you are already going to have the car up and working on the tunnel plate why not go with a set of headers with high flow cats and X pipe. It would sound awesome and get some performance increase

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Corsa X-Pipe - Is It Worth It?

Quick Reply: Corsa X-Pipe - Is It Worth It?