Sponsored by:

Side Mirror Glass Adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 PM
rkink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Mirror Glass Adhesive

I noticed my mirror being "shakey" this morning on the way to work. Upon inspection, the glass had become un-adhered to the plastic backer piece. The adhesive is a semi-soft clear material. Does anyone have any suggestions what type of adhesive to use? I thought about silicone, but I didn't think it bonded that well to glass. The back side of the glass does have the heated strips if this makes a difference. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
jack706
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't know what to use, but don't use silicone on any mirror i't eats the siliver off the back
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jack706
i don't know what to use, but don't use silicone on any mirror i't eats the siliver off the back
Pl400 eats the backing of a mirror u have to use. 100% silicone..I own a glass shop and been doing any and all types of glass work for better part of my life..and have yet to see silicone eat the backing off a mirror...and fyi there a several coatings on the back of a mirror that gows in your house...the one the adhesive get applied to is a paint and not the silver
Old 06-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would use a black silicone automotive adhesive. Any auto parts store should have it. Just make sure the surfaces are clean.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
rkink
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a test spot of clear silicone and black Loctite silicone adhesive on the back side of the glass and neither adhered well at all. The back side of the mirror glass has what appears to be a plastic film in which the heater strips are encapsulated, so I am really trying to adhere to the plastic film. I haven't tryed a test spot on the black housing plate cup yet, but I suspect it to be ABS or nylon, so I shouldn't have a problem adhering to it. I thought about good old J-B Weld or liquid nails, but I read about someone that used it for their mirror, only to have the mirror break when they used the de-frost (apparently the mirror expands at a different rate than the glass). Any other ideas????

Get notified of new replies

To Side Mirror Glass Adhesive

Quick Reply: Side Mirror Glass Adhesive