Sponsored by:

Bad wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Jeremy03Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad wheel bearing?

Driving down the road the faster I go the louder the noise gets. I turn the wheel hard left on sweeping turns and it goes away. It sounds just like any other bad wheel bearing I've heard in other cars and even though this is an assembly it still sounds the same correct? I'm 99% sure thats what it is. It sounds like its coming from the left rear. The real point of this thread is that the turning of the wheel to the left and the sound going away corroborates that its the left rear correct?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTT
I'm also curious about this and have the same question. I have the same exact issue at the moment. Turning left the noise goes away. Btw, my driverside (left) rear hub assembly is brand new though. Ideas, please chime in.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:57 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Turning left will take some of the load off the left side wheel bearings and transfer it to the right side. A right hand turn will load the left side bearings. Does a right hand turn make the noise louder when you are loading the left side bearings ? Jack the car up and check bearing play by trying to move the wheel grasping the top and bottom. Anything more than a very minor movement will indicate a bad bearing.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Turning left will take some of the load off the left side wheel bearings and transfer it to the right side. A right hand turn will load the left side bearings. Does a right hand turn make the noise louder when you are loading the left side bearings ? Jack the car up and check bearing play by trying to move the wheel grasping the top and bottom. Anything more than a very minor movement will indicate a bad bearing.
I dont notice it get any louder when turning right.

Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Jeremy03Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In case anyone ever is searching I did replace the left rear wheel bearing as suspected and it fixed the problem.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:11 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

is there a recommended service life? I know every car is different, but I recently found a 120 000 mile service life for the manual trans bearings and was wondering how long your bearings lasted in service and what I should plan for . At my milage, it's starting to be time to replace worn parts.

I do appreciate the posting of the resolution.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:48 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

op, did it make a squeaking noise? or just a grinding? i have what is a similar noise coming from the pass side rear, it gets faster with speed, but i can't hear it at highway speed the engine and exhaust noise drowns it out. but at low speeds it's quite loud. i don't thinks it's brakes as using the brake does not make any difference to the sound, only speed. i think maybe it's the right rear wheel bearing. what do you think? thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by red03vette
op, did it make a squeaking noise? or just a grinding? i have what is a similar noise coming from the pass side rear, it gets faster with speed, but i can't hear it at highway speed the engine and exhaust noise drowns it out. but at low speeds it's quite loud. i don't thinks it's brakes as using the brake does not make any difference to the sound, only speed. i think maybe it's the right rear wheel bearing. what do you think? thanks in advance for any help.
Here is a good video that that can help you check a wheel bearing. Easier than trying to describe it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9DBB447ACAB171
Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 PM
red03vette
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Here is a good video that that can help you check a wheel bearing. Easier than trying to describe it.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...9DBB447ACAB171
thanks! i will try this and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy03Z06
In case anyone ever is searching I did replace the left rear wheel bearing as suspected and it fixed the problem.
I replaced the front driver's side wheel hub and that fixed my problem. Also replaced the passenger side very soon after just so both sides were new.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad wheel bearing?

Quick Reply: Bad wheel bearing?