Why does my Hurst shifter rattle??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:00 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

Thanks for the reply's friends.

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
Search "tennis ball" it's a cheap fix. It worked on my Kirban shifter. If you can't fid it on a search post again and I'll explain. Bill
Been there, done that. See my original post.

Originally Posted by vafirevet
Are you sure it isnt just the Hurst ****? My shifter ball rattled a bit so I removed it and filled the areas around the brass threaded insert on the bottom of the ball. Stopped the rattle.

Super glue...
Pretty certain that is not the Hurst shift ****, since I am not using the Hurst shift ****. See original post.

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
You answered your own question, it's the weight on the shaft, the stock has that weight that tapers up and cancels out the vibraion.
Thanks. I have added weight, at different locations to try and change the resonant frequency with little effect. See original post.

Sounds like maybe a stock C6Z shifter modified to accept my LG delrin **** might be worth a try.

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cybermind, I stand corrected, my friend also did the Z06 sway bar and lowered it, I am aware that the shocks job is to control rebound of the spring, it does stiffen up the ride a bit if the shocks are designed for the track. I'm in total agreement that Engineers designs on the soft side and after market can improve the sports part, but to be able to have a true sports car on the streets is really not possible, something has to go and it is the comfort part once you modify. I think that the magnetic suspension of the C6 and ZR1 is the perfect street/track combination for me and the way I would want my vette to handle.. thanks, I tried not to make a book, but here I go... Enjoy the ride and feedback...
Old 04-28-2012, 02:09 PM
Supervette7
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear that fixed the problem. Now I have to deal with it (the same thing happened on my C4). How did you attach the hose... or did you just "wrap" it on, so to speak?
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:36 PM
jdarling
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifter rattle

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
thread drift...
although this is a very old thread it seems worth noting as none of the replies addressed the probable real issue which is the differential causing the rattle in the shifter as both times my differential started to go bad the shifter started to rattle (the hurst shifter) which it had never done before. It has happened twice now and it has proven to be an indicator of early onset diff issues at least in my car 2002 running moative 4.10. It sees a lot of hard take off at track and first gear drops from 30 mph.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:43 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I used to have a Hurst a long time ago. I called Hurst to see about fixing it. They told me that's just the way they are and nothing can be done about it. I sold it and installed a C6 Z06 shifter, which I cut shorter and threaded for a C5 ****. Works great!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:00 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

I'm using an MGW shifter, but a Hurst ****, and it buzzes like mad.....
Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I have a hurst, it rattled like a **** when I first put it in. Took the demon key out, teflon tape on the threads, no more rattles.
Old 10-14-2023, 06:40 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This link is to ONE video--->https://photos.app.goo.gl/E3XcyjQM34MUzyE9A

This other link is to a handful of videos in case anyone is curious enough to listen------> https://photos.app.goo.gl/5sHKyzA5oD8jmez46

I have a 2013 Grand Sport with 27,xxx miles. I've been daily driving it for over a year now. Around May 2023 it started making the noise you hear in the video above. It was subtle at first but now it pretty much does it through all gears. It doesn't seem to matter if I have the clutch pressed all the way in or just cruising, it does it in all gears. In person it's not as loud as it is in the video.

I've already tried an MGW shifter but there was no change. I bought a replacement OEM shifter and boots but still no change.

I have already taken it to a transmission shop, they test drove it and said the transmission shift perfectly and they don't think it's a transmission issue. They didn't charge to test drive but they said it would cost a lot to take everything apart down there to get a look.

Feel free to reach me directly at sgarcia8028@gmail.com 909-319-5457
Old 10-15-2023, 12:36 PM
johnnyp420
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a new shift ****. I had a 8 ball style that rattled like crazy on my MGW. I switched it out for one of the MGW brand shift ***** and the rattle under acceleration went away.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:46 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by silver408z
My hurst rattled when I had a momo **** on it. I put a different **** on and no more rattling.
I don't care how impossibly good the quality might be, I could never put on a car part that said "momo"
Old 10-16-2023, 09:34 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Thanks, I'll consider but I don't think it's related to the **** itself because I've tried driving with it completely removed and the sound still seems to be transmitting. This leads me to believe it's the shift linkage itself or something inside the torque tube. Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2023, 06:18 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

12 year old thread..................

FWIW, I installed a Hurst shifter with a Kirban (I think) solid shift ****, in my C-5, back in 2002. Hasn't "rattled" yet..............
Old 10-19-2023, 08:35 AM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
12 year old thread..................

FWIW, I installed a Hurst shifter with a Kirban (I think) solid shift ****, in my C-5, back in 2002. Hasn't "rattled" yet..............
lol, I know the thread is old but the car is "new to me" and a lot of times folks who start these threads don't ever come back to post what their solution was to the issue they posted about.

Thanks for your response; I appreciate you taking the time!
Old 10-19-2023, 11:41 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by sam-garcia
lol, I know the thread is old but the car is "new to me" and a lot of times folks who start these threads don't ever come back to post what their solution was to the issue they posted about.

Thanks for your response; I appreciate you taking the time!
The following users liked this post:
sam-garcia (10-19-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 04:08 AM
hmhaga
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts

The shifter is bolted to the torque tube, through which all of the noise in the complete drivetrain propagates (sound waves travel 17 times faster in metal than air). The stock shifters are designed heavy, with a rubber core, to limit this propagation of noise. Mount a lightweight shifter with no rubber, and you have in effect installed a "drivetrain loudspeaker" inside your cabin.

That said, if you have a very noisy Hurst shifter, it could indicate that you have an issue in the drivetrain itself! My Hurst shifter was rattling like mad around 2500 rpm. After I replaced a worn out harmonic balancer, that rattle disappeared completely!

Old 10-24-2023, 03:37 PM
sam-garcia
Instructor

Originally Posted by hmhaga
The shifter is bolted to the torque tube, through which all of the noise in the complete drivetrain propagates (sound waves travel 17 times faster in metal than air). The stock shifters are designed heavy, with a rubber core, to limit this propagation of noise. Mount a lightweight shifter with no rubber, and you have in effect installed a "drivetrain loudspeaker" inside your cabin.

That said, if you have a very noisy Hurst shifter, it could indicate that you have an issue in the drivetrain itself! My Hurst shifter was rattling like mad around 2500 rpm. After I replaced a worn out harmonic balancer, that rattle disappeared completely!
Hmmm
This got me thinking...My harmonic balancer itself does NOT appear to wobble at all...however the bolt itself that hold the harmonic balancer seems to have a slight wobble...could that be something...I feel like if the harmonic balancer was going bad I would experience noise at any speed, any RPM...? Let me know what you think.

Quick Reply: Why does my Hurst shifter rattle??