Sponsored by:

IPhone/Ipod interface question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 PM
knife13
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPhone/Ipod interface question

Hey all, I am contemplating getting an Ipod/Iphone interface to hook up to my factory radio's aux input. I have read that there is an issue with the harness on some of them that causes the interface to always be on and drain the battery. I also have read that this can be fixed by cutting and slicing the power wire from the harness to a switched power wire. Are there any kits out there that don't have this problem and that are truely plug and play?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:37 PM
knife13
Heel & Toe

Man 53 views and no replies, I'm guessing there isn't
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Got mine about 2 months ago from Dennis at Double D mods
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Peripher...ter-ipodc5.htm
Zero issues and works perfect with my iPhone 4
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Originally Posted by F&Yb0dluvr
Got mine about 2 months ago from Dennis at Double D mods
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Peripher...ter-ipodc5.htm
Zero issues and works perfect with my iPhone 4
It doesn't drain the battery like others have complained about?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slicks1vette
It's only an issue if you go weeks without driving your car
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

When I had one installed I never had any issues with the battery, My car is a DD.
Mr.Bill
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive my car on the weekends it sat for 10 days once and started right up
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM
knife13
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys, Ill be going to DD.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:21 PM
torredc5
Instructor

I bought the iPod/iTouch interface that connects to the factory 12 disk CD changer in the trunk from DD mods. Piece of cake to install. It doesn't seem to be a drain on the battery, but when the volume is turned up (almost max) I can hear a constant chirping sound which is very annoying.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:53 AM
papafrancisco
Racer

Unless it's been repaired, the remote operations from the radio work up to a point i.e. if you advance using the next button on the radio, after the 6th using the next button, the songs repeat themselves, You can use the iPod or iPhone to advance the songs with no problems. You may want to search this topic on the forum. MANY people have complained about this problem and to date I have not seen or heard of any patches or fixes. What say ye Double D? Any thoughts or comments? All in all, I am please with the Double D system. Just having the iPod play through the stero improves the sound quality. In regards to the battery drainage, you can avoid this issue by a simple modification. The modification is quite simple and easy and I believe you can, again, search this forum for the modification so you can see how easy or difficult the modification is. Even though there are responses of np battery problems, I believe it will depend on how often you drive rather. There are posts on this forum that have had drainage issues. Happy motoring...

Last edited by papafrancisco; 09-01-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:39 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by papafrancisco
Unless it's been repaired, the remote operations from the radio work up to a point i.e. if you advance using the next button on the radio, after the 6th using the next button, the songs repeat themselves, You can use the iPod or iPhone to advance the songs with no problems. You may want to search this topic on the forum. MANY people have complained about this problem and to date I have not seen or heard of any patches or fixes. What say ye Double D? Any thoughts or comments? All in all, I am please with the Double D system. Just having the iPod play through the stero improves the sound quality. In regards to the battery drainage, you can avoid this issue by a simple modification. The modification is quite simple and easy and I believe you can, again, search this forum for the modification so you can see how easy or difficult the modification is. Even though there are responses of np battery problems, I believe it will depend on how often you drive rather. There are posts on this forum that have had drainage issues. Happy motoring...

battery drain
your exactly correct
if you let the car set for a real long time then your going to have some issues with battery drain. If you dirve alot then nothign to worry about

as far as the repeating of songs
we have to recall here that were are mixing technology from late 90's with something made today. The ipod was not even a thought at the time the radio was made. So most of the fallback goes back to the radio and limitations on what can be done. We can only do so much with making these work. They do work great and we have sent out thousands of them.
So to get best ipod features your really looking at an upgrade to the radio as the PXDP unit is universal to dozens of cars and not just the Corvette radio.

Dennis
Old 09-01-2011, 12:37 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
battery drain
your exactly correct
if you let the car set for a real long time then your going to have some issues with battery drain. If you dirve alot then nothign to worry about

as far as the repeating of songs
we have to recall here that were are mixing technology from late 90's with something made today. The ipod was not even a thought at the time the radio was made. So most of the fallback goes back to the radio and limitations on what can be done. We can only do so much with making these work. They do work great and we have sent out thousands of them.
So to get best ipod features your really looking at an upgrade to the radio as the PXDP unit is universal to dozens of cars and not just the Corvette radio.

Dennis
Obviously the factory head unit is doing its job by forwarding to the next song. The rest relies on the equipment that YOU are selling. It's not like the head unit is telling the iPod to repeat, it's YOUR unit that is not doing the job correctly. Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "oh the head unit is too old to properly move through more than six songs". Also I don't drive my car "alot" as you say, so I'd rather not have my battery being drained. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

If there is a battery drain it has to be pretty minor. I run a 17 lb. Braille battery and haven't noticed it. I do try to shut off the radio before shutting off the car; maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Born to run 04
Heel & Toe

I just got my pxdp and pxhgm4 last week and going to install this weekend.Purchased from Double D MODS. Going to buy Ipod tomarrow. Do you guy's use the Ipod touch or the nano.I was thinking of Ipod nano cause Im only after music.Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Obviously the factory head unit is doing its job by forwarding to the next song. The rest relies on the equipment that YOU are selling. It's not like the head unit is telling the iPod to repeat, it's YOUR unit that is not doing the job correctly. Sorry, but I don't buy the whole "oh the head unit is too old to properly move through more than six songs". Also I don't drive my car "alot" as you say, so I'd rather not have my battery being drained. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

We get it you dont like this.

We have many other options available for someone like yourself who is not a believer in the 3000 plus PXDP kits sold with 3000 plus happy customers.

As I mentioned
this unit it UNIVERSAL to more than just the C5 Corvette and will work just fine.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
papafrancisco
Racer

I believe you when you say the unit is universal to more than just the Corvette however this is a Corvette forum. I am not interested in returning my unit however would you entertain others returning their units for a refund based on the comment you made about old and new technologies? I must say this is the first time that I have seen any comments aluding (sp???) to it may not work the same as using the next/previous buttons on the iPOD/iPhone because of the technologies difference. HOWEVER. like I said I am happy with the limited functions i.e. charging and playing through the car's sound system. I will have to ask about what I believe is a problem that I am having... I am manually stopping the iPOD when I turn off the radio and starting the iPOD manually when I switch to Aux. Is anyone else having this issue?

Get notified of new replies

To IPhone/Ipod interface question

Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
vafirevet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works great and I'm a very happy customer! Thanks DD. No problems at all. Btw: I use my old iPhone 3G as the iPod.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
C5Vette168
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I have the PXDP with the PXHGM4 cable and it definitely drains the battery. As others have said, it's not a problem if your car is daily driven. I drive mine only once a week. The limited functionality w/ the factory radio doesn't bother me at all since the iPod rests on the center console and I can control it from there. Great product overall!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Prolixus_C5Z
Cruising

I installed my ipod kit from DD about a week ago and I love it. I bought it b/c I didn't want to have to upgrade the whole system just to have Ipod functionality. The directions on his site were helpful too as I had never attempted any kind of install like this before. I've found I keep using the Ipod controls instead of the radio controls so the limitations of that aren't a concern for me. If such limitations were a concern, I would have just gotten a new head unit. I'm just glad I don't have to lug cd's around anymore since there isn't anyplace to put the damn things in my Z06 anyway No issues as far as power drain that I've noticed and I drive her about 2-3 times a week.

Quick Reply: IPhone/Ipod interface question