Sponsored by:

Found: A cheaper priced all Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:53 AM
EZ2BEVILC5
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by romeokc10
Hello all, I thought I would share this with my fellow C5 brothers and sisters. My 1999 C5 6spd radiator suffers from the infamous cracked drivers side end tank. I don't have the funds for a Dewitts or Ron Davis radiator, things have been tight since my wife gave birth to twin girls and no longer works. My radiator cracked almost a year ago but I was determined not to replace it with the stock plastic radiator, I was hoping to find a used Dewitts on Ebay or Craigslist or of course here. But as we all know, when they do come up for sale here on the site, damn they go fast...lol!
Well it looks like my patience finally paid off, I found this seller on Ebay yesterday and bought one right away. I ordered from their website as the shipping was $7 cheaper, I talked to them and they said it is a 100% drop in with no modification needed for my C5. Their Ebay ad is quite detailed and if you go on their website they are definitely into high performance cooling. The quality of their radiator looks good also, I like the detailed pics. I did a search and it looks like I'll be the first to try this new radiator, I'll let you know what I think of it once I receive it.
Originally Posted by J.Abbott
That's hard to do when your product is made in the USA and the cheap one is made in China. I guess he could fire all of his employees and just resell the ones made in China. Isn't that how the USA got into this mess to begin with. Here is an idea, why don't we only buy stuff that is made in the US instead chasing the cheap way out. Eventually the US prices will come down, but at some point you have to put your foot down and do what is right for your country and not cater to another because they will sell it cheaper. I know this is only a small example and GM, Ford and all the car companies are doing it, but if enough people were to get there head out of the sand we could fix all of these problems. Personally I am sick of anything made overseas, the sad part is that some of it is good, but it is all tainted as I can see for now. I will pay more with smile on my face if it is made in the US. I don't have lots of funds personally to do that, but I save to get the right part as much as possible. As far as the rad, I would have put a stock one back in until I could have afforded the DeWitt. We all as whole have to start thinking about the bigger picture. BUY USA
Mr. Abbot thanks for pointing this out. I did not want to open up this can of worms. As you have stated the people that are supposed to be looking out for our best interest have allowed Importers to bring in Chinese good without imposing the proper tariffs. They are paying their employees 10 cents an hour while you have to pay at least minumum wage, workman's comp ..etc. this makes it almost impossible to compete. luckily you flat out have a better product made in the USA, otherwise you would be forced to buy parts overseas as well. It's sad that someone of this forum does not understand this. The worst ecomomy is due to the USA not making anything any more. We are losing more jobs and being forced to pay more unemployement. How long can this last!!!

I have always said that if they impose the proper tariffs and your radiator is $450 and the China version is $350 it will be a fair playing field and I can make an informed choice. If I can't afford it, I guess I will be stuck with the stock radiator. of course a few people are making a lot of money at the expense of the entire country.

Last edited by EZ2BEVILC5; 10-20-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 10-21-2011, 10:24 AM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
You mean like illegal links to ebay sales or non-sponsor vendors?
Do you feel like China is taking money out of your pocket?
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM
EZ2BEVILC5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2slicks1vette
Do you feel like China is taking money out of your pocket?
China is taking money out of everyone's pockets. For every dollar we are saving at Walmart (Chinese Super store) and things made in China. We are paying back in our taxes and Inflation. Notice how our dollar is not buying what it used to.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:07 AM
SueTaing
Racer

As much as everyone says China is taking money out of our pockets remember one thing.

People outsource manufacturing to China because it is cheaper but they still sell at premium pricing.

iphones don't cost too much to produce and they are much cheaper to produce now but how much did they sell those phones for? $499-599 for a two year contract.

I used to sell a lot of auto parts manufactured in China and my friends still do this as well and the mark ups I see can be ridiculous at times.

So please dont make this a China is ruining the world post.

We can start that when they actually start limiting exportation of rare earth metals.

Last edited by SueTaing; 10-23-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
EZ2BEVILC5
Burning Brakes

Sorry, But the point being is these jobs need to be in the USA so that fellow US citizens can be working and we will not have a 10% unemployment rate plus 36% people living on disability and other government programs. It is not China's fault they are doing what anyone would do. It is our importers that think they are great business people, but really ruining our country to make a couple bucks. The right people in our government are being paid off instead of protecting the interest of our people. In this country thier is a minumum wage so we are not perpetuating slave labor. In China they don't care if people starve making products to be exported. This contradicts the American way of life. Yet we made it okay for slave labor to exist in China, bringing thier products into the US. We are pushing our American manufactures that have to pay minumum wage, insurance, workman's comp and sometimes benefits to it's employees out of business.

To reply to your statements specifically. We are now going into phase 2 where we are so dependent on Import good that they can now be sold at a cost higher then they could be made for in the USA. Too bad there are no US manufacturers around anymore to compete.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2
Yes but where do the profits go?
Not here, but you knew that
Old 10-23-2011, 08:55 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

could the mods just close this thread? I am tired of wasting my clicks...
Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
could the mods just close this thread? I am tired of wasting my clicks...
Remove the subscription! Lol
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Remove the subscription! Lol
yea, it's like a damn mosquito bite!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
yea, it's like a damn mosquito bite!!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Can someone PM me the info on this radiator, company and model # would be great. Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 10:35 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg
Can someone PM me the info on this radiator, company and model # would be great. Thanks
Go to ebay and type in ....

1997 corvette aluminum radiator, it will be $219 with ECP logo

FYI http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...placement.html

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 10-24-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:41 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Trying too hard...

Go to google and type in "mishimoto radiator review"

Wow? A Chinese radiator with good reviews? Unfathomable.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
^^lots of good points in your post, tell our president to set the right example, vs getting his custom bus made out of the country
Old 10-25-2011, 07:59 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slicks1vette
Trying too hard...

Go to google and type in "mishimoto radiator review"

Wow? A Chinese radiator with good reviews? Unfathomable.
While your at it google "mishimoto radiator problems" then google "dewitt radiator problems".

I think what stands out is the customer service response from the manufacturers.

Just my $.02
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mishimoto does not make one for corvettes, and they are made in Japan not China. Engineered Cooling Products makes one for the Vettes and seem to be a stout setup! I will be speaking with the company later today about their products and will let you know what info I gather.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:47 PM
romeokc10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it looks like you boys and girls have been very naughty while I've been away...lol!! I see that there was a thread started by one of our vendors due to my post. It seems both threads turned into a buy USA vs Foreign made shouting match. First let me say that my thread was in no way a means of taking a shot at DeWitts or Ron Davis. This site is a community, I felt it was my duty to inform my fellow forum members of a good priced C5 item, that's what we do, help each other out. As a member of the military I've served this great nation of ours for over 20 years and counting, (yes I'm still in the reserves), I'm all for buying Made in the USA products. But as I said in my opening post, my reasons were purely economical, I have twin girls and a wife that's a stay at home mom for now. My company just laid off eight guys, if they do it again I'll be out on the street myself, so I can't justify a $600-$800 radiator at this time, enough about that. Now about the radiator, I received mine on Oct 28th, man is it beautiful! I installed it later the following week, it took me longer to get the old one out than it did to put the new one in...lol! As the manufacturer said it was a 100% drop in install. So far no problems whatsoever, the thing is so pretty I hated to cover it up with the plastic shroud..lol! I've attached some pics so enjoy!Name:  CIMG8850.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  150.7 KB Name:  CIMG8875.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  114.4 KB [IMG][/IMG] Name:  CIMG8878.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  56.9 KB Name:  CIMG8879.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  67.2 KB Name:  CIMG8880.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  174.9 KB Name:  CIMG8888.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  190.3 KB Name:  CIMG8889.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  134.8 KB Name:  CIMG8891.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  111.4 KB Name:  CIMG8892.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  110.5 KB

Get notified of new replies

To Found: A cheaper priced all Aluminum Radiator

Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Let me be the first to thank you! Lol

Glad to see they're nice. I'll be getting one soon
Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
romeokc10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
Let me be the first to thank you! Lol

Glad to see they're nice. I'll be getting one soon
I don't think you'll regret it of you do, let's be honest, it's a freaking radiator, it 'aint rocket science! The main attraction for me was that it's all metal instead of plastic, and it's a double row. Now if I decide to get that supercharger, I'm good on the cooling side of the house.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by romeokc10
I don't think you'll regret it of you do, let's be honest, it's a freaking radiator, it 'aint rocket science! The main attraction for me was that it's all metal instead of plastic, and it's a double row. Now if I decide to get that supercharger, I'm good on the cooling side of the house.

Quick Reply: Found: A cheaper priced all Aluminum Radiator