Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip info on buying a used Corvette ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 PM
trenchgun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip info on buying a used Corvette ?

Hey guys, I just registered, first post here. I am trying to bring myself up to speed on 2001-2005 pre-owned Corvettes, I plan on purchasing one in the near future, lots of info out there to learn. If you guys have any info and watch out's on buying pre-owned Corvettes, please chime in. I am in the Houston, Texas area, and there are a lot of places, dealers and individuals selling Corvettes. I read here about the 3.15 gear ratio option, which sounds like what I would like, info like that is very helpful. I am probably like everyone else, I would like a super clean, low mileage, garaged, never smoked in, completely stock, almost perfect car for a low price. I once bought a new 1979 yellow L-82 Corvette, long gone, and it looks like I have the Corvette bug again. I would like to get an automatic transmission, with as much factory performance as possible. Just a nice occassional driver car. Thanks for the help.....
Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You are right where I was 3 years ago!!

In 2008 I picked up a 2004 A4, 3.15, Z51 suspension, Arctic White, Magnesium Rims, completely stock, 5,550 miles.

Okay, here is the scoop -- you will have to look hard and maybe pay a few more bucks for the car you want because as time goes on there are less and less molested c5's on the road.

I see you are in Texas - I got my car from Corvettes of Houston. These guys understand Vettes, they also need to keep their reputation so they don't sell **** cars. I really wouldn't want to buy a vette from a used car lot from a guy who knows as much about a KIA minvan than a C5.

The 3.15 gives you a real nice launch from 0-80MPH. BTW, the car gets almost 30 MPG at 65MPH with the AC on!

2004 was the last year for c5's, 2005 started with the c6. I like the styling of both but I didn't want the "first year" of the C6 and the 2006's and up were a bit out of my price range.

I now have 11,800 miles on my car as it ONLY comes out in nice weather....it has NEVER been driven in rain.

I have the exact car you are looking for but it ain't for sale!
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM
trenchgun
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Catcam, Thanks for the info, I have head of Corvettes of Houston and I should probably give them a call and talk to them tomorrow. Yes, I am right where you were a few years ago, it looks like you got a real nice car when you bought yours! Vetteman Jack emailed me his info on Corvette buyers guide earlier, wow, lots of info, I hope it does not scare me into changing my mind! I can remember the horrible "grinding" noise in the rear end of my 79 Corvette, hopefully that one problem has gone away. When I get one, I will have to see if all of the recall's and service bulletin's are up to date also. Oh boy. Look it over really good, check out the carfax, I just want to try and make a smart decison. Thanks guys.... I included the 2005 year even tho it is a C6 because I really like the fixed headlights. Vetteman Jacks info said the hideaway headlights have plastic gears, I hated hearing that, but that is helpful info...

Last edited by trenchgun; 11-07-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

there is another big car dealer in Houston that is on Ebay a lot. Lots of mixed reviews, so be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Tip info on buying a used Corvette ?

Quick Reply: Tip info on buying a used Corvette ?