Sponsored by:

2002 Driver-Side Corvette Headlamp Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:26 PM
GH1
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Driver-Side Corvette Headlamp Problem

I've replaced the driver's side headlamp motor twice on my 2002 Corvette. After the last replacement, the light goes up & down 4-5 times when I turn on the lights and it finally settles about halfway up. The dealer suggested replacing the motor again, but I'm not ready to shell out $600+ for it. What other active components could be contributing to this problem?
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

That is strange, but I highly doubt it is the motor.
The motor either works or not.

It sounds nore like a wiring problem check to make sure there is no binding or stress on any of the wires. I'd guess, the light thinks it is hitting an obstruction and reverses then tries again until a fail limit shuts it down. I believe the motors are interchangeable, try swapping them. Good luck and let us know what fixes it.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not an expert on the subject and have never personally rebuilt the motors but I have read a good bit of the data on this forum regarding rebuilding. The symptoms that you are describing are quite common and the solution usually replacing the gears with plastic or brass. Several kits available from forum members. The crazy up and down action I have read is caused by plastic stops that have not been adjusted correctly. Do a search on this forum for the stops and I believe there is a really good diagram and text as to how to adjust them properly. Wish I could be more help but that should get you started in the right direction. Good Luck.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

The headlamp motor and drive gear are integrated into one assembly. Below is the assembly with the gear removed (I recently installed headlamp gears on both sides),

Someone out there chime in if I have this wrong, but if the OP is stating that he replaced "headlamp motor" twice, that would infer that the headlamp gear was replaced to. The symtoms sound like a bad headlight gear, but if the gear is not too old, my inclination is to look else where. I'd start by taking component cleaner and cleaning all the electrical contacts on the headlight control module that is in the passenger side head light cavity.

To the OP: The dealer really got you for $600+ for just one headlamp motor assembly plus labor? Send me a PM and I would be happy to further discuss the repair with you.

Last edited by Z06ster; 11-27-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Wrong photo
Old 12-05-2011, 05:52 PM
GH1
8th Gear

Default Thanks --

good input - I tend to think the last motor I installed is good because it seems to raise and lower the headlamp a number of times as the other gent mentioned. Seems like something related to the stop - I've received a couple suggestions to replace the headlamp control module and/or adjust the stops. I'll try the stops and let you know how it goes...Thanks again!! GH
Old 12-24-2011, 12:08 AM
GH1
8th Gear

Ok, apparently there is a TSB 00-08-42-002 for this issue. It requires an additional washer to b added to each bolt to bring the actuator closer to the stops. Replacing the stops was also part of the TSB. Washer PN 11505463 & Stopper PN 16524060. I used washers I had handy that fit. The s toppers proved difficult to find. It's a GM (dealer) part that has been discontinued. I swapped the old stoppers w/ones on the upper side of the headlamp assembly. It worked great because the striking point is different. Thanks for the feedback folks...
Old 12-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Bellie1
Heel & Toe

Had the same problem with the drivers side of my 02. I took it back to the corvette mechanic, he took the assembly out and showed me what the issue was. He said when they built the motor assembly, instead of bolting the gear casing together( like they did with early model c-5) they wanted go save money and glue it instead. The mechanic mixed up some epoxy and glued the case back together, he said very important to let it set up for at least 3 hrs before turning on lights. Also check the stops on the assembly. Mechanic said this is a common problem with 2001-2004 corvettes. I also had him turn off twilight sentinel. It has been 2 weeks now and no problems.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM
cmauch
5th Gear

Who had the best prices for parts on the headlamp assembly?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:56 AM
GH1
8th Gear

Default Gh1

Originally Posted by cmauch
Who had the best prices for parts on the headlamp assembly?

Eckler's..

Get notified of new replies

To 2002 Driver-Side Corvette Headlamp Problem

Quick Reply: 2002 Driver-Side Corvette Headlamp Problem