Sponsored by:

PCV Line Routing/Oil Catch Can - C5, LS1

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Bud Welch
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCV Line Routing/Oil Catch Can - C5, LS1

I am installing a Conceptual Polymer Oil Separator. There is 1 pcv outlet on the drivers side valve cover and 2 outlets on the passenger side. The 1 on the drivers side is connected (Y connector) to the rear outlet on the passenger side then on to the PCV valve and into the throttle body. The front outlet on the passenger side is connected directly into the throttle body but not via the same port.

Is there a reason that this pcv outlet is routed directly to the throttle body and not thru the PCV valve?

Since I am trying to remove all oil from being recirculated back thru the induction, wouldn't it make sense to re-route the front outlet, via a Y connector, into the line going thru the PCV valve..........then to the oil catch can, then out to the 2 throttle body inlets (via a Y connector)?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What does the vendor recommend?

Here's several different installation instructions from ELITE ENGINEERING USA for their product...
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/i...tructions.html
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Bud Welch
Cruising

I had looked at that before but missed what the other hose was, it is a Crankcase Clean Makeup Air Source (Note: Do not disturb this hose).

thanks,
Bud
Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Bud - Any pics of your setup?
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Bud Welch
Cruising

Yeah, I got pics. Just can't figure out how to load them. Are there instructions somewhere? Or I can email you a zip file if I knew it.

Bud
The following users liked this post:
Ajc986 (04-11-2020)
Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

There is no PCV line on the valve covers

http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html

Peace
Chip

Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Bud Welch
Cruising

Chip,

You must be talking about something other than a C5 LS1. That's the vette/motor I'm talking about.

Bud
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Bud Welch
Chip,

You must be talking about something other than a C5 LS1. That's the vette/motor I'm talking about.

Bud
On a C5 LS1 the PCV comes from one of 2 locations.

On 2003 and up LS1's with the LS6 Manifold the PCV valve is in the Valley Pan (as pictured in the link provided)

On 2002 and earlier LS1's, with the LS1 Manifold, the PCV Line comes from the rear of the drivers side - Wraps around the back of the engine and comes down the passenger side along the bottom of the valve cover. The PCV valve is located
in this line about 6 inches from the throttle body.

Peace
Chip
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Bud Welch
Cruising

Sorry, mine is a 2002. I should have ID'd that. The link to the pic you posted is obviously from a 2003 and up. My original question was regarding the other hose on the passenger side of the '02 which is the Clean Air Source for the crankcase.

Bud
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Bud Welch
Cruising

Pics are in a public album "C5 (02) LS1 Catch Can". Pics are in backwards order.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Default following up on "old" thread

Originally Posted by Bud Welch
I had looked at that before but missed what the other hose was, it is a Crankcase Clean Makeup Air Source (Note: Do not disturb this hose).

thanks,
Bud
So how did that CP catch can turn out for you? Would you suggest/recommend it? Any other observations?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 11:35 PM
SLVRVERT
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey bud. I was missing the pcv valve and all the tubing. Mine is a 2001 convertible with 5.7 litre. The driver side valve cover toward the windshield ( rear) was plugged. The passenger side valve cover rear barb is capped off and the front barb has a 6AN tube running to the barb on the throttle body. They had ran a 6AN tube from the intake valley orifice to the intake barb behind the throttle body and was generating alot vacuum with nothing to regulate my crankcase pressure. I got in touch with David Childress at Mighty Mouse Solutions and he hooked me up. 4th gen LS F-body Mild. Easy to install the pcv valve is already installed in the catch can it took about 30 min from start to finish. I think you would be happy with the product.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:33 AM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SLVRVERT
Hey bud. I was missing the pcv valve and all the tubing. Mine is a 2001 convertible with 5.7 litre. The driver side valve cover toward the windshield ( rear) was plugged. The passenger side valve cover rear barb is capped off and the front barb has a 6AN tube running to the barb on the throttle body. They had ran a 6AN tube from the intake valley orifice to the intake barb behind the throttle body and was generating alot vacuum with nothing to regulate my crankcase pressure. I got in touch with David Childress at Mighty Mouse Solutions and he hooked me up. 4th gen LS F-body Mild. Easy to install the pcv valve is already installed in the catch can it took about 30 min from start to finish. I think you would be happy with the product.

I'd like to hear more about that one.. looks like a simple install.. how much was it?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:52 AM
CJ1957
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2002 Base model that is mid-production (21 Jan 2002) and maybe this will help. I used a SickSpeed catch can I purchased for $40.00 on Amazon and used some hoses and clamps that I had in my spare parts.

I routed the hose from the left hand side valve cover that goes behind the air intake to the right sight and into the PCV valve then connected it into a black “T” bought at HD. Then routed the hose from the right hand side valve cover into the same “T” and then continued into any side of the catch can. Placing clamps on all the connections.

Out the other end of the catch can, I routed a hose into lower right nipple of the intake manifold only. Then I simply rubber capped the nipple at the upper right side of the throttle body.

Pretty simple but works fine and I hope this helps.

Last edited by CJ1957; 09-15-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Photo
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM
SLVRVERT
Instructor

Default Mighty Mouse 4gen LSF- STYLE CATCH CAN

Originally Posted by OleStraightStick
I'd like to hear more about that one.. looks like a simple install.. how much was it?
It was very easy. If you are not familiar with the install hit me up or hit up David Childress at Mighty Mouse Solutions. The cost was $266 for the whole kit. The pcv valve is already installed in the can.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:30 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

you absolutely cannot do this.
you have to have only one line to the intake manifold, and it needs to have the pcv point of regulation directly and only in-line of it.

you have your pcv assembly (which controls how much intake manifold vacuum gets applied to the crankcase) T'd into another line which is completely uncontrolled. path of least resistance takes place and you will have uncontrolled vacuum on your crankcase. this will result in abnormally high pcv flow and side effects are high/unstable idle, excessive oil consumption, unstable oil pressure.

further, the passenger front valve cover port has two specific jobs for PCV that you defeated. 1 it is the fresh air supply to the engine. 2. it is the main crank pressure vent. these are both critical to pcv operation.

this type if information and customer support is part of what you get when you throw a few more bux at your catch can system.

Originally Posted by CJ1957
I have a 2002 Base model that is mid-production (21 Jan 2002) and maybe this will help. I used a SickSpeed catch can I purchased for $40.00 on Amazon and used some hoses and clamps that I had in my spare parts.

I routed the hose from the left hand side valve cover that goes behind the air intake to the right sight and into the PCV valve then connected it into a black “T” bought at HD. Then routed the hose from the right hand side valve cover into the same “T” and then continued into any side of the catch can. Placing clamps on all the connections.

Out the other end of the catch can, I routed a hose into lower right nipple of the intake manifold only. Then I simply rubber capped the nipple at the upper right side of the throttle body.

Pretty simple but works fine and I hope this helps.

#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder
Old 09-17-2017, 09:37 AM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

I am glad you have had good impression of the product so far.
I wanted to give you an idea if interested to clean up the install a bit.

follow these instructions to move the PCV assembly to the right side of the can, and the inlet fitting to the front.

then your hose orientation will shorten up and look like this

Get notified of new replies

To PCV Line Routing/Oil Catch Can - C5, LS1

Old 09-17-2017, 03:01 PM
SLVRVERT
Instructor

Thanks for the tip on the clean up. I guess I know what I will be doing this afternoon.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM
SLVRVERT
Instructor

Cleaned up!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 AM
MIGHTYM0USE
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

nice!

Cleaned up!