Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"I wish I could afford a car like that"....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had citizens claim that must be a dirty cop to be able to afford a c5..."how little they know"...i hope they never meet my co-worker with the c6Z!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Well... a lot of people base that on what a NEW Corvette would cost (which on the GM website ranges from a stripped down version at $49,600 - $111,600) which most people (including a lot of C5 owners could not afford). My 2001 C5 was about $46,000 when I bought it new in 2000 and since then with interest, insurance, maintenance, upkeep, moderate mods, extended warranties, etc. I have more than twice that amount in it now. But I could go out and buy a USED C5 today for nothing.

I think what gives the Corvette that public perception (having driven them almost every day of my life for the past 35 years and getting that comment constantly) is:

(1) In general Corvettes of all years are exceptionally maintained on the exterior and are easily mistaken for a NEW Corvette by the uninitiated. The C5 actually looks more advanced than the C6 to me. Rarely does a week go by even now that someone does not say something like "Wow, is that the NEW Corvette" - and mine is nearly a 12 year old DD! When I tell them it is nearly 12 years old their jaws always drop in disbelief.

(2) Some people like me have only purchased one USED car in their life (in my case a 1971 Corvette which was the worst financial decision I ever made - nothing but a money suck). Corvettes are almost like a Ferrari in that when you see a Ferrari, I never think that the guy driving it may have bought it USED? But most used Ferraris you can get dirt cheap, because anyone that can afford to buy and maintain a used Ferrari, could probably buy a new one if they wanted to. I could sell my C5 right now for enough money to pay down enough on a new C6 to where my annual outlay on the C6 would probably be about the same as what I pay now... just in my case, I don't care for the C6 that much.

(3) Corvettes are perceived a "toys" or "luxury items" - most people I know with C5s rarely drive them - they all have other DDs. So people just assume that I have two other vehicles at home when they see me on the street.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Mr.C5
Instructor

I agree with the sentiments here. I get a lot of odd looks from people around where I work when a 26 year old gets out of a well kept C5. One of my coworkers jokingly accused me of slinging drugs on the side O.o. They were all making jokes about gas mileage yesterday, then I told them I average 28mpg to and from work because it's all highway, everybody's jaws just dropped. Now I'm a liar lol. Now if I could only get the parts to come down in price we would be all set.

My friends have bought nice low mileage C6s for 25k.

I bought my C5 for half of that. I turned one of my friends onto the hunt for a C5 after he was deadset on buying a brand new 5.0 because he could afford that payment monthly. After finding him a C5 for under 13K, decent miles, I convinced him he could spend 13K in mods on the vette and it would be a lot faster and nicer than a new 5.0.

Also, msot of my friends and I, probably not even 2 years ago thought Vettes were out of our range. I paid less for my Vette than I did for my Mach 1.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:49 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

One day I drive the 00 vette, the next day the 72 vette, the next the 68 mustang, then a few days on the 03 explorer and maybe just take the wife's 07 mustang. I get crap all the time. One guy got really pissed on day, I said, kids cost on average 10K plus a year. You have 4. I have none. Do the math.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM
bontrager
Pro

Originally Posted by doje
As a board member for my local Corvette club, it was my job to organize our year-end awards banquet for about 100 members this year. We went to a great restaurant and had a great meal followed by a couple hours of patting ourselves on the backs for all the great things we did last year.

At the end of the night, I was saying my final goodbyes when one of the waitresses said to me, "You guys all seem like you really have a lot of fun with this. I wish I could afford a car like that".

So I asked her what kind of car she owned, and she told me she had a 2011 Honda Civic. I asked her how much she paid for it, and the price was about $22,000. I then told her that I recently purchased a '99 Coupe with low (70k) miles in show condition for $11,000. We walked to the window and I showed her the car. She was shocked.

Then she said, "Well, I could never afford the gas!". Again, I asked her what kind of gas mileage she was getting. She said she averaged about 27. I told her she had me beat, but I still got 25 miles on average and closer to 28 on a long trip.

She's gonna start looking.

Geez I love these cars.
You average 25 mpg. Please tell me how this is accomplished.

I have a 2000 vert, 6 speed with 16,000. Have CAI, X-pipe and cat back system. After the short tube headers were installed I went to a tuner ( second tune via his laptop only). He adjusted accordingly. I was averaging 16mpg in the city, now I average 14.5. Will be going back to the turner in a few weeks to complain. Also when I did the CAI system it came wit ha modified mass flow air sensor but I was told during the first dyno tune that he adjusted for that.

Thank you.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

People just don't realize how much these cars have improved over the years. Gas mileage is amazing, the performance is a bargain compared to most cars and the affordability is better than ever. For all its capabilities, the C5 makes for one heck of an economy car.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by bontrager
You average 25 mpg. Please tell me how this is accomplished.

I have a 2000 vert, 6 speed with 16,000. Have CAI, X-pipe and cat back system. After the short tube headers were installed I went to a tuner ( second tune via his laptop only). He adjusted accordingly. I was averaging 16mpg in the city, now I average 14.5. Will be going back to the turner in a few weeks to complain. Also when I did the CAI system it came wit ha modified mass flow air sensor but I was told during the first dyno tune that he adjusted for that.

Thank you.
Basicly stock '99 daily driver with mostly highway driving. The only mods are a Calloway CAI and a catback exhaust.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Originally Posted by baxsom
One guy got really pissed on day, I said, kids cost on average 10K plus a year. You have 4. I have none. Do the math.

i like that math...same here...ZERO...well, one dog!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no mention of fiberglass in the conversation?

Old 02-18-2012, 12:49 PM
A.R. Shale Targa
Instructor

Found my Anniversary Red 03; M6; and 15,700 on the clock for 26,999
back in Dec. 2010. It had a Corsa CB and I immediately added an EPS
valve tickler w/BBK shorts, tuned of coarse. Car sounds stealthy at idle
yet will hang with a base C6 and like most have said...gets awesome
mileage. People don't believe me that I never get less than 30 on the
freeway with a best of 33.5....
Old 02-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Mr31FlavorsVette
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I get the "mid life crisis" comment all the time since I purchased the vette...or maybe it's because my current wife is 21 years younger than me...or both.

I have to admit, when I saw my car on the dealership lot with a big $19,999 painted on the windshield, I thought that was for the down payment. I had no idea it was a 2000 and almost a 12 yrs old vehicle.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:56 PM
grumblebear
Intermediate

last spring my 99' caravan got sickly, 350k, and so I started looking at cars... Cash for clunkers drove up most used car prices... I heard a rumor Vettes were affordable...
I found my 99' coupe for 13k last spring, it needed tires...

before I bought it, I called my insurance agent to get a quote... expecting the worst... full coverage, 1k deductible, was 50 dollars less than my caravan...

and then when I was getting better all around gas mileage than the minivan... I've been hooked
Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default My 2001 roadster

had 14k on it when I bought it for $22,600 a year ago. Felt it was fair for a vert. Was pristine. Stickered for $53,700 ! Always was garaged, interior is rare torch red/ black on the Galaxy Silver exterior and people rave about it. This is one sweet ride for the price. General mixed driving nets me abot 23 MPG. It is so clean, people think it is new. I like it so much , I'll have it when they try to lift my license due to senility. Only complaint is a fairly mediocre interior quality, but full high quality leather seat skins can be had for $700. When they pull the mid life crisis bit with me , I tell them I bought my first Vette at 27 and this is my seventh and best one at 71 years old. Have never been without one. Always buy used. Will never grow up and don't want to.
Dave
Old 02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by grumblebear
last spring my 99' caravan got sickly, 350k, and so I started looking at cars... Cash for clunkers drove up most used car prices... I heard a rumor Vettes were affordable...
I found my 99' coupe for 13k last spring, it needed tires...

before I bought it, I called my insurance agent to get a quote... expecting the worst... full coverage, 1k deductible, was 50 dollars less than my caravan...

and then when I was getting better all around gas mileage than the minivan... I've been hooked
Just goes to show, I couldn't afford a '99 Dodge Caravan even if I wanted one. Gas and insurance are too expensive.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by XPLOSYV
one dog!
I always tell people dogs have two big advantages over kids:

You can't castrate your kids and you don't have to send your dog to college.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Qcksilverc5
Pro

Originally Posted by David Shiel
had 14k on it when I bought it for $22,600 a year ago. Felt it was fair for a vert. Was pristine. Stickered for $53,700 ! Always was garaged, interior is rare torch red/ black on the Galaxy Silver exterior and people rave about it. This is one sweet ride for the price. General mixed driving nets me abot 23 MPG. It is so clean, people think it is new. I like it so much , I'll have it when they try to lift my license due to senility. Only complaint is a fairly mediocre interior quality, but full high quality leather seat skins can be had for $700. When they pull the mid life crisis bit with me , I tell them I bought my first Vette at 27 and this is my seventh and best one at 71 years old. Have never been without one. Always buy used. Will never grow up and don't want to.
Dave
Good for you!! I like your attitude/outlook --
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
dmaleck
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I get crap daily about my Z06, Especially Being an A1C coming through the gate to the base...if only they knew i only paid 11k for it....lol

Get notified of new replies

To "I wish I could afford a car like that"....

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Frank4202
Melting Slicks

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Photos of said waitress and future Corvette owner......???
x2!!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:50 AM
vafirevet
Burning Brakes

I agree and get crap all the time about my eleven year old vert. I'm the firefighter's union president and my own members are busting my b*lls thinking I'm rich and spending their union dues... I can't even drive it to a city council meeting or political function as somebody there is going to make the leap and assume/think firefighters are overpaid. It is a used eleven year old chevy!

It is the price you pay for owning the best sports car in America! LOL
Old 02-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

So much fun to read these posts which mirror my experiences.

I remain amazed that, for all the folks we "inform" that the C5 is such a screaming deal (to buy AND own), the price stays pretty low. Now in 5 years, I hope the same dynamic holds for the C6 GS...

Quick Reply: "I wish I could afford a car like that"....