Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible; lock or not? Also, question about top.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always lock it, top down or up. Never leave anything in your car in plain sight that would tempt anyone to break into it to begin with.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM
rbrumm
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I lock mine in the garage
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
joelk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I lock mine and raise the windows even when the top is down.

I recommend you get a Window Valet.

With a Window Valet you can raise your windows remotely from your factory keyfob. That way it is simple to lock the doors and raise the windows even when the top is down as you walk away from the car.

And when the top is up, you can remotely lower /raise the windows so you can more conveniently operate the folding top.

Window Valet is one of the best aftermarket options available for Verts!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:36 PM
DBLTRGR
Racer

I agree, lock it. My brother used to leave his convertible (not a vette) unlocked so that the thieves wouldn't cut through the top to steal his stereo. They assumed it was locked and cut through the top anyway! Sometimes you just can't win.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I always lock mine. If they want to get in it they will, but why make it easy for them. I have comprehensive coverage on the car for a reason.

No reason not to lock it.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
O4-/-C5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TraceZ
I lock mine and raise the windows even when the top is down.

I recommend you get a Window Valet.

With a Window Valet you can raise your windows remotely from your factory keyfob. That way it is simple to lock the doors and raise the windows even when the top is down as you walk away from the car.

And when the top is up, you can remotely lower /raise the windows so you can more conveniently operate the folding top.
Who sells the Window Valet and where can I see what it is.This is the first I herd of it.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That reminds me of when I lived in a Kew Gardens NY condo and my locked car in the underground garage was broken into 4 times. My insurance company was saying they would no longer cover me and I lost almost a day's work each time I had to have the window replaced. I finally just had to leave the doors unlocked, radio out and glove box open. I also installed an Auto Page alarm and one night at about 1 AM it went off and while I never had a false alarm I did not think much of it but I did go downstairs. When I entered through the side door I saw two feet sticking out of my car and both my sirens pulled out from under the car and lying on the floor. To this day I still do not know how he was able to get under the very low car to reach the sirens. He could and did not ever get the hood opened because of my Chapman hood lock. As the side closed slammed closed (the door **** was broken preventing me from using the door to open from the inside) two other gentlemen popped up from their work breaking into the trunks of my neighbor's cars.
All three of these guys came at me with sharpened screw drivers
but I was able to get them to think better of that.
It was a nice neighborhood but near Jamaica which was a very bad neighborhood. The one time my parents drove up from Florida with their new Honda Accord to visit and that first night their radio was stolen.
True story and I have more than my fair share as I seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 AM
TraceZ
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 354 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by O4-/-C5
Who sells the Window Valet and where can I see what it is.This is the first I herd of it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...s-on-sale.html

Follow the above link to a forum vendor that sells them.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 AM
miltievette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

3) The back top corner of the door glass goes over the top instead of under the drip edge. Once I get in car, I have to put window down, then up to keep out wind noise. Anybody else had this problem?[/QUOTE]

Let me ask you? When your top is up does the piece of cloth over the rear deck blows around. if not your top is fine. skip this step

http://www.c5forum.com/forum/ubbthre...te_id=1#import

The window it's not hard but it is a pain in the butt. if I can I think the most important of all is to take a sharpie and mark the glass at the bottom as a starting point at the end you will see how much play front back up or down. the 2 adjustment inside the door will allow you to raise the back side then you take some out counter clock from the front side. it took me some time to get it straight but it worked.
Important when adjusting your top if needed please remember that the adjustment nut on the bow is reveres. and what you do to the left side you must do it to the right side I’m looking for all of my notes if you need more info.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM
PilotofCorvette
Instructor

Lock it, you aren't driving a Miata anymore!!!

Quick Reply: Convertible; lock or not? Also, question about top.