Sponsored by:

How mad should I be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Elvisf16
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How mad should I be?

Bought a 2002 EB Z06 Monday...garage queen with less than 2700 (no I did not leave off a zero) miles. Man the car is, or at least was, flawless. It still smells new.

On Monday I met the seller and we drove the car to a Chevy dealer for a pre-purchase inspection. What do they do but put it on a lift and crack the fiberglass around the left rear lift point. I noticed they used pieces of 2x4s at the other 3 lift points to keep the metal flange off the body panel, but they did not use anything at this point. As a result the flange covered, and therefore cracked, about half an inch of the body panel on each side of the lift point.

You'd think you could take a car into a Chevy dealership and not have them screw something up.

The damage is slight--to see it at all requires sticking your head under the car and looking at that lift point. But the more I think about it, the more irritated I get.

Am I being way too **** or would anyone else be pissed?

Jed
Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you kidding? You are making them replace it, right?

P.S. Don't go back to that dealer.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM
98Redbird
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be pissed. And they'd be repairing it promptly.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

to answer your question. very mad.

go straight to the regional manager so the store manager has no choice but to respond.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
burrrnt_ham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mad.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

yup I would be pissed and hopefully it doesn't go on a carfax report but still if you ever sell it it won't be original kinda sucks.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

It sounds like you hadn't purchased the car at the time of damage. I'd inform the owner to get it fixed before buying it. His car, his problem.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
It sounds like you hadn't purchased the car at the time of damage. I'd inform the owner to get it fixed before buying it. His car, his problem.
Depends on who picked the dealer if the buyer picked it and wanted to walk away because of that, That would be a sh!tty thing to do!!
Steve
Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

I'd be furious.

I would make them fix it for sure...

Peace
Chip

Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

This should have been a poll?

Make the dealership fix it. I wouldn't have moved the car off the lot until they admitted fault and arranged repair.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:11 PM
mchicia1
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you should be mad..that is absurd. There is a reason they make lifting pucks.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Ona mission
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Mad? I'd be furious. A great deal of the value of these cars (for some) is being near perfect condition at all times. I'm actually planning on trading down on my current ride because I'm not that much into details and the one I have is almost flawless.

I need something I can tinker with and maybe even get dirty once in awhile.

Last edited by Ona mission; 03-07-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yep I'd be really upset. That is the exact reason that you don't go to dealerships!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Elvisf16
Instructor

I screwed up some things with this because I'm a nice guy. My biggest mistake was thinking it was not a big deal and leaving that dealership without complaining to the service rep or showing him the damage. But I was there with the seller, who I had just met a half hour earlier, and did not want to get into an awkward situation.

I would not have backed out of the sale on account of this. This dealership was suggested by the seller. But it is the only Chevy dealership in that town, so there really was no other choice. I am the one who wanted to have the inspection done. So if anything it was a joint decision.

Even though I did not show anyone at the dealership or complain at the time, I did call the seller over and show him the damage while the car was still up on the lift. So he witnessed it. Plus the car is perfect in every other way.

I called the service manager. He's supposed to be calling me back. I'll post a picture of the damage as soon as I find the cable for my camera. It sounds like a poll is unnecessary--so far it's 100 percent in favor of "I'd be mad."

On the bright side, I am an attorney. I know already that they are responsible for the damage, and I know how to go about holding them responsible if they decide to not do the right thing.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Elvisf16
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ona mission
Mad? I'd be furious. A great deal of the value of these cars (for some) is being near perfect condition at all times. I'm actually planning on trading down on my current ride because I'm not that much into details and the one I have is almost flawless.

I need something I can tinker with and maybe even get dirty once in awhile.
--that's exactly why I was reluctant to buy this car and pay a premium for the low miles and pristine condition.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisf16
I screwed up some things with this because I'm a nice guy. My biggest mistake was thinking it was not a big deal and leaving that dealership without complaining to the service rep or showing him the damage. But I was there with the seller, who I had just met a half hour earlier, and did not want to get into an awkward situation.

I would not have backed out of the sale on account of this. This dealership was suggested by the seller. But it is the only Chevy dealership in that town, so there really was no other choice. I am the one who wanted to have the inspection done. So if anything it was a joint decision.

Even though I did not show anyone at the dealership or complain at the time, I did call the seller over and show him the damage while the car was still up on the lift. So he witnessed it. Plus the car is perfect in every other way.

I called the service manager. He's supposed to be calling me back. I'll post a picture of the damage as soon as I find the cable for my camera. It sounds like a poll is unnecessary--so far it's 100 percent in favor of "I'd be mad."

On the bright side, I am an attorney. I know already that they are responsible for the damage, and I know how to go about holding them responsible if they decide to not do the right thing.
Are you more mad at the dealership for doing the damage or mad at yourself for not saying something immediately and making your case then and there?

I took my '04 Z16 into the local dealership for a four wheel alignment. The car is lowered 5/8" and 3/4" on oem bolts/uncut bushings. They tried to use lumber to get the car up on the raised lift. They feared they'd damage the front fascia and suggested I take it to another local shop with an alignment pit. The service writer and I checked the car for damage before the car was moved into the bay. I told them I had just taken multiple images as well.

Initially I was upset they wouldn't do the job but in the end I really appreciated their concern and honesty.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 03-07-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:01 PM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your a lawyer..wtf just give them your card and say ill pick it up in a week after you fix it. thank you.check and mate

Get notified of new replies

To How mad should I be?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Elvisf16
Instructor

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Are you more mad at the dealership for doing the damage or mad at yourself for not saying something immediately and making your case then and there?
More mad at the dealership, but not by much.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:06 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by machz800ps
Depends on who picked the dealer if the buyer picked it and wanted to walk away because of that, That would be a sh!tty thing to do!!
Steve
It shouldn't matter who picked the dealer as, clearly, it was the dealer's fault and they should fix it. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't buy it broken, so the pressure is on the seller to make sure that the dealer fixed it right. I wouldn't be walking away from the deal, but I also wouldn't be buying it until I saw, to my satisfaction, that the work was completed. It's in the seller's best interest to deal with the dealership, and shouldn't be left up to the buyer.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA Corvette Parts
I'd be furious.

I would make them fix it for sure...

Peace
Chip

Quick Reply: How mad should I be?