Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:16 PM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do idiots get badges..uhh yea i seen you street racing a 18 wheeler. And clocked you at 230 mph...dam leos wonder why leos have a bad name
Old 04-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Zogs2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Talk about double standard, if you didn't show up a warrant would be placed for your arrest.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
jd_black_00
Melting Slicks

Received 470 Likes on 145 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12, '14

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Talk about double standard, if you didn't show up a warrant would be placed for your arrest. What did lawyer say?
The lawyer said that the prosecuting attorney was a good guy and that he is convinced that I won't get a criminal record or lose my license. He didn't say anything about the cop not showing. The reason he didn't drop it today was that it would make him look bad. I hope he's right.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always told that if you went to traffic court and the cop didn't show up, the case was tossed out. I guess that doesn't apply in this case for some reason? Is this a criminal trial?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_black_00
The lawyer said that the prosecuting attorney was a good guy and that he is convinced that I won't get a criminal record or lose my license. He didn't say anything about the cop not showing. The reason he didn't drop it today was that it would make him look bad. I hope he's right.
Generally, that is the case. Way back when I had a minor traffic offense and the LEO didn't show. Judge dismissed. Later I had a more serious offense, again LEO didn't show. Judge rescheduled, LEO was repremanded by the Judge for not showing and I proved my case. Dismissed again.

I wonder if the LEO's write tickets hoping you'll not show (happens all the time) which makes them look good. They don't have the time to go to court either. Some figure if your willing to fight the ticket and it's borderline they'll cut you a break and not show.

Therefore, a lot of Judges will throw it out as being a minor issue. Others figure if they write the ticket it better be good.... because they know the game and want the officer to write solid tickets. If it's a common error or just a mistake the court doesn't want to see those. But, if your intention was to commit the crime .... you should have to pay. That is for you to decide ..... it's all about intent.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Best advice, get a Lawyer. They know the law AND the Police. It will be well worth it. Don't take the advice of "forum members" or try to do it yourself. The implications could be severe, so get a Lawyer.

Late to the party - I gotta start checking post dates

Last edited by oh1vette; 04-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

Originally Posted by pluslt
I was always told that if you went to traffic court and the cop didn't show up, the case was tossed out. I guess that doesn't apply in this case for some reason? Is this a criminal trial?
Difference between a Infraction and Misdemeanor. Drag Racing is considered reckless endangerment. In most states, if you kill someone in the action it's considered a Felony.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
Just hold on there pal, Mr Bill does not speed!
Show me where I said I never speed, I said if I play I pay...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Reminds me of Baretta: "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!"
Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I respect this, what I don't like are people coming onto threads bashing the various original posters for speeding. The fact is 56 or 96 in terms of law is exceeding the speed limit and my point is that no one is innocent in that regard.

If you don't like hearing about someone venting about a bad experience then move on. You posted here just to get your thread count higher.

Speed is not dangerous, I have and will continue to top out 4th on a stretch of road which I know is empty and clear of possible obstacles. The person weaving through heavy traffic is much more likely then I to injure someone on the road.

Fact; police write tickets to make revenue

Fact; speed limits were instilled back in the 60s during the oil crisis, it was not raised since because of all the money being collected.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
99 hardtop 08
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an attorney and get the ticket reduced. Pay the fine, Municipalities do not care about the safety behind the laws just the REVENUE! Two hundred dollars usually takes care of a speeding ticket for me. They have always allowed me to buy my pionts back. LOL.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

By this definition....

(2) The operation of one or more vehicles over a
common selected course, each starting at the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

...I could get a ticket for getting to my office 2 minutes earlier than I did yesterday !!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 376 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerovette

By this definition....

(2) The operation of one or more vehicles over a
common selected course, each starting at the same point, for the purpose of comparing the relative speeds or power of acceleration of such vehicle or vehicles within a certain distance or time limit.

...I could get a ticket for getting to my office 2 minutes earlier than I did yesterday !!
Anyone passing another vehicle on the road is technically racing because you are attempting to complete a set distance in less time then another car...
Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Z-Stallion
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is Obama from?

Quick Reply: Accused of Drag Racing a Tow Truck in Chicago. PLEASE HELP!!!