Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?

**UPDATE:** See post 48. Decision made. Thank you to all who chimed in. It helped me make a decision.

My wife and I just found out we are pregnant. I have my Z06 and my Convertible. She has a new Elantra. I just paid off my Z06 and we owe about $12k on my vert. We are going down to buy an 01 Suburban today but we are paying cash.

I test drove an 11 Mustang GT Premium last night and likes it. Also a 6 speed. It has 6500 miles and I think I can keep my payment the same as the vert. I also have my C7 coming next year and I am for sure buying that.

Do you think something like a Mustang would be anymore convenient than my Corvette for kids? Am I just going to get pissed at dealing with the back seat and end up driving the Elantra or Suburban with kids anyway? The Mustang GT Premium is really nice and I like it much more than the Camaro interior wise.

Should I keep the Vert and save the ten grand or go the Mustang route?

My vert has 110,000 miles now. Do you think I can get $15-16k? Basically between mods my vert and my Monte Carlo I am looking to try and get the Mustang for $27,000 and take $7,000 to put down from the sale of the other stuff. My loan would be about $8-10k more than it is now but the car is more modern, feels very tight, is plenty quick with the 5.0L and doesn't have over 110,000 miles.

I know the vert has plenty of time left in her but at some point I am going to need a clutch. It isn't going to last forever.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Z06Electron; 03-28-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

The new body style and drivetrain improvements to the Mustang are fantastic. Do it. Here is the one to get if you can swing it... Not sure if you saw the Top Gear episode where Tanner was throwing the Stang around the track with perfect balance and power...amazing car!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

No, but I did buy an R/T Challenger to go WITH my C5.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
No, but I did buy an R/T Challenger to go WITH my C5.
I like the Challenger and Camaro exterior. The Mustang interior is just much better IMO. I want a GT500 but I commute 90 miles a day and their mileage sucks AND the price of a GT500 is going to keep me from being able to Buy my C7.

I won't trade my C7 for a Mustang. But I was thinking about it. My convertible is only slightly different than my Z06 so it isn't like I won't have a C5 anymore.

I just wouldn't have a convertible or two C5s. Convertible was awesome but it has been months since it was down.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Another thing I am considering is the 2013 has a new hood, front bumper, and tail lights. Tails are probably easy but swapping the LED headlights not so much.

Owning a Mustang would help me with some of my customer base though. I currently have zero Ford experience. Lots to consider.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:46 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

No, I actually got a C5 instead of the new Mustang. My reasons, better gas milage, removable top, lower insurance, and lower depreciation hit. Very happy with my C5!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If I had kids, I would get one. I drove a Boss 302, it was absolutely magical.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
breeze01
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess would be that you won't choose the mustang very often to transport the kid and that the car seat etc will be kind of the pain. The back seat does at least provide you that option. Tough call for the extra $ involved
Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm giving it some serious consideration, either a Mustang or '06 C6Z, or selling the C5 and getting a boat and another 5.0L Fox with a supercharger.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:13 PM
vettestrings
Intermediate

I don't have a c5, but I have a c4 and a '11 mustang gt premium (auto trans) ...so I thought I'd chime in. I enjoy driving the c4 the best but I really like the mustang too...love the way it sounds at around 5 to 6 thousand rpms...

I drove it down to Calif. last spring, got around 26-27 mpg. It was an enjoyable drive...and certainly no shortage of power for passing on those big hills in southern Oregon and Northern Cal.

The '11s came out with new transmissions both manual and auto and there have been some complaints about the manuals...lots of info to read about it online, might be something to look at. New electric assist steering in '11 too, I like it.

I have less than 6k miles on it ...with zero problems or complaints so far.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Tenacfan
Racer

Why don't I have three Mustangs, oh yeah I bought a Vette. Trust me Vette/Stang is equal to apples/oranges
Old 03-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tenacfan
Why don't I have three Mustangs, oh yeah I bought a Vette. Trust me Vette/Stang is equal to apples/oranges
Yes but remember I still have another C5 ;-)
Old 03-27-2012, 02:43 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vettestrings
I don't have a c5, but I have a c4 and a '11 mustang gt premium (auto trans) ...so I thought I'd chime in. I enjoy driving the c4 the best but I really like the mustang too...love the way it sounds at around 5 to 6 thousand rpms...

I drove it down to Calif. last spring, got around 26-27 mpg. It was an enjoyable drive...and certainly no shortage of power for passing on those big hills in southern Oregon and Northern Cal.

The '11s came out with new transmissions both manual and auto and there have been some complaints about the manuals...lots of info to read about it online, might be something to look at. New electric assist steering in '11 too, I like it.

I have less than 6k miles on it ...with zero problems or complaints so far.
What are the complaints? It was super smooth in both clutch and shifter. Although many people liken driving a C5 manual to driving a tractor. Also my wife refuses to drive the C5 because she hates the cockpit feel. This limits my ability to drive her car but of course the Suburban fixes that but it will only get 13 MPG although I probably wouldn't commute in it much.

I guess I am just tired of a ten year old car and a 15 year old model. My wife keeps asking if I would even bother driving the mustang when I have a C7 anyway. That is valid I suppose.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Dang that 2013 Mustang looks nice! I didn't know they upgraded the tails and headlights.

One C5 is enough. I would try the Mustang out.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:57 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

If it were me, I'd forget the Mustang and buy a newer "family vehicle" than a 2001 Suburban. Take the rest of the money and put it away for the kid's expenses. Sounds like your stable is full enough for now. You're only fooling yourself if you think you'll be crawling into the back seat of a Mustang to put a child in and out of a car seat on any regular basis. You need 4 doors with kids; especially an infant. JMHO
Old 03-27-2012, 03:02 PM
vettestrings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
What are the complaints? It was super smooth in both clutch and shifter.

If you search "2011 mustang gt transmission problems" you'll find some info to read about it...but it sounds like that one has no problems.

and btw, Congratulations to you and your wife!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kids and car seats in the back of a mustang. Been there done that. It sucks.
First off you have to kneel down or step into the rear foot well to not blow your back out putting the kid in carrier into the base. Then the toddler in the forward facing doesn't like having his feet sideways the entire trip like Charlie Chaplin and is kicking you the entire way. He's behind you because the younger one in the rear facing has to be on the passenger side to roll the seat foward so it sits flat. Negating taking anyone with you in the passenger seat and blocking your blind spot check.

From now on if I need to use a back seat it has it's own door.
I went Corvette for spring/summer and an Audi A6 with quattro and the v8 for fall/winter and year around kid hauling.
Great complimenting combo and a better awd system than any 4x4 truck or awd suv I ever owned.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Electron
I like the Challenger and Camaro exterior. The Mustang interior is just much better IMO. I want a GT500 but I commute 90 miles a day and their mileage sucks AND the price of a GT500 is going to keep me from being able to Buy my C7.

I won't trade my C7 for a Mustang. But I was thinking about it. My convertible is only slightly different than my Z06 so it isn't like I won't have a C5 anymore.

I just wouldn't have a convertible or two C5s. Convertible was awesome but it has been months since it was down.
I looked at all 3, the Challenger had a FAR superior interior and ride. The 20" wheels on it make it look HUGE.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Z06Electron
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
If it were me, I'd forget the Mustang and buy a newer "family vehicle" than a 2001 Suburban. Take the rest of the money and put it away for the kid's expenses. Sounds like your stable is full enough for now. You're only fooling yourself if you think you'll be crawling into the back seat of a Mustang to put a child in and out of a car seat on any regular basis. You need 4 doors with kids; especially an infant. JMHO
The 2012 Elantra is the primary family vehicle. The suburban would be for only when we are towing the boat or when I was moving the kids around alone. Not very often as my wife only works 3 days a week.

Also we have a different savings account for the kids. Currently we put about $1000 a month into that to cover initial expenses like furniture strollers etc. We are due in October.

Quick Reply: Anyone trade their C5 for a 5.0L mustang?