Sponsored by:

Best Alarm System for Detraction of Vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Dobeman2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Alarm System for Detraction of Vandalism

I recently posted that I had some punks vandalise my 02 convertilbe, now I want to do anything I can to "try" and make sure it doesn't happen again. So, with that what alarm system can I get that is very sensitive to touch? This car was in my garage by the way with the door closed when it was vandalised (so they broke into the garage). What can I do short of sitting out there and standing guard, and by the way I have two dogs (doberman and a golden retreiver)- neither did any barking when the person/people came into the garage, so I am guessing they somehow drugged/used food to tranquilize the dogs in some way. So, again what system would any of you reccommend? Thanks for any info.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Funnone
Racer

ADT and a 45......
Old 04-18-2012, 01:29 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Funnone
ADT and a 45......
This^^

Seriously tho, no one would go through the trouble to tranquilize your dogs to vandalize your car.

No car alarm is going to prevent this. If you go through the trouble to break into a garage and you see a security blinker, you're going to do your vandalism quickly, or do something like slit the tires or key the car that would not trip the alarm.

Get a camera up and some security signs, buy a large gun, and shoot the MF in the leg that breaks in.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 442 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

If the car was in the garage at the time, then you don't need a car alarm, you need a home camera and or security system.

Legally you cannot use a gun for vandalism, your life has to be threatened before you can use a gun, at least that's the case in most states.

Check with local auto radio shops, they can add a motion detector to your existing alarm system.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:46 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

I highly doubt your dogs were drugged - which is something you could have tested with a hair/furr sample. It's way more likely that someone you (and your dogs) know did this to your car.

As for alarms, I use a viper car alarm system with a shock sensor, internal and external radars and a two way remote that works up to a mile.

In short, with a convertible, if anyone reaches into the car (even with the roof down) they breach the internal radar and the full alarm kicks on. If they come within a few feet of the car, the car alarm chirps to tell them to get lost (or you can have a voice alarm activated).

In both instances, your keychain starts going nuts and will definitely wake you up at night.

I once took one of my collector cars to the store late at night (thinking there wouldn't be many people around), only to come out and find a fat slob laying across the hood, with her drunk red neck husband telling her to show more shoulder and to "work it, work it" while attempting to take shots of her with his cell phone camera.

I had a viper installed the next day, and haven't had any issues with anyone getting close to my car since.

Hell, at night you can see the blue led flashing from a hundred yards.

I also have security cameras in my garage, which feed to a security server in my bedroom and to my cell phone. I've got my security cameras set to motion sensor, and my cell phone goes crazy if anyone gets close to my cars - with a photo of who's there.

Last edited by 50in1st; 04-18-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
GoldenFlame
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 50in1st
I once took one of my collector cars to the store late at night (thinking there wouldn't be many people around), only to come out and find a fat slob laying across the hood, with her drunk red neck husband telling her to show more shoulder and to "work it, work it" while attempting to take shots of her with his cell phone camera.
Da Fu*k? I would have let out a curse storm on those asses
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think you pissed off your wife, kids, other person well known to your dogs, and familiar to your garage. Reeks of an inside job.

Move to Texas, you can use deadly force to protect your property.

Other than that get a proximity alarm. It will start telling the person they are to close to your vehicle. Drawback is somebody may kick a dent in your door when that happens. Don't ask. Really though sometimes people draw unwanted attention by their actions. Like parking way out in the boondocks will bring out a d*&kwad to park next to you more times than not.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GoldenFlame
Da Fu*k? I would have let out a curse storm on those asses
I've got a greencard, and thus had to wind down my 'I'm going to make your intrails your extrails' - and called the cops instead.

They agreed with me that the situation was screwed up, however, as they hadn't done any damage, there wasn't anything they could do.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

To solve the garage security issue is easy.

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-932...4772444&sr=1-3

Run this on your home or work puter (doesn't matter where you run it from) > http://skjm.com/icam/

Install http://skjm.com/icam/ on your smart phone.

That's it. Simple. Done.

Anyone comes near your cars, you get an alert on your phone and your phone records the whole event. You call the cops, they arrest the bad guys - and you stay happy.

The same cameras can run via 'IPView Pro' (free program) on a computer at home (or anywhere in the world) and record what happens throughout your home while you are not there.

Home security is really easy - and if you need help, I'll help you.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Dobeman2000
Advanced

This sounds extremely easy and cheap- a definate for at home-thanks

To solve the garage security issue is easy.

Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DCS-932...4772444&sr=1-3

Run this on your home or work puter (doesn't matter where you run it from) > http://skjm.com/icam/

Install http://skjm.com/icam/ on your smart phone.

That's it. Simple. Done.

Anyone comes near your cars, you get an alert on your phone and your phone records the whole event. You call the cops, they arrest the bad guys - and you stay happy.

The same cameras can run via 'IPView Pro' (free program) on a computer at home (or anywhere in the world) and record what happens throughout your home while you are not there.

Home security is really easy - and if you need help, I'll help you.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Dobeman2000
Advanced

Any reccomendations on the proximity alam/radar system that tells me someone is near/on the car or put hand inside with top down?

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
I think you pissed off your wife, kids, other person well known to your dogs, and familiar to your garage. Reeks of an inside job.

Move to Texas, you can use deadly force to protect your property.

Other than that get a proximity alarm. It will start telling the person they are to close to your vehicle. Drawback is somebody may kick a dent in your door when that happens. Don't ask. Really though sometimes people draw unwanted attention by their actions. Like parking way out in the boondocks will bring out a d*&kwad to park next to you more times than not.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Dobeman2000
Advanced

Which modle of Viper do you use that has the proximity sensors and radar for putting one's hand in the car when the top is down?

I highly doubt your dogs were drugged - which is something you could have tested with a hair/furr sample. It's way more likely that someone you (and your dogs) know did this to your car.

As for alarms, I use a viper car alarm system with a shock sensor, internal and external radars and a two way remote that works up to a mile.

In short, with a convertible, if anyone reaches into the car (even with the roof down) they breach the internal radar and the full alarm kicks on. If they come within a few feet of the car, the car alarm chirps to tell them to get lost (or you can have a voice alarm activated).

In both instances, your keychain starts going nuts and will definitely wake you up at night.

I had a viper installed the next day, and haven't had any issues with anyone getting close to my car since.

Hell, at night you can see the blue led flashing from a hundred yards.

I also have security cameras in my garage, which feed to a security server in my bedroom and to my cell phone. I've got my security cameras set to motion sensor, and my cell phone goes crazy if anyone gets close to my cars - with a photo of who's there.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really simple a Chihuahua, or don't drive
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dobeman2000
Which modle of Viper do you use that has the proximity sensors and radar for putting one's hand in the car when the top is down?
Here ya go!

http://www.viper.com/P-508D/Invisibe...urbance-Sensor

and I use it with this system http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=3303V

I've also added a Zoombak to the system, so that I can track my cars with my cell phone and get alerts if they move, with me being out of range for the car alarm to notify me.

Although I don't use it, there is the ability to use the remote start feature with this system too. It's actually pretty cool.

Last edited by 50in1st; 04-18-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

This sounds extremely easy and cheap- a definate for at home-thanks
You're welcome!

It's a lot easier than most people would believe. For less than $100, you can secure your garage with a video feed, which you can view with technology most people already own, anywhere in the world.

Hope it helps.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Dobeman2000
Advanced

Awesome- I will be picking these up, as well as the camera for the garage as soon as the car is back from the body shop (2 weeks to a month was the estimated time, since they have to paint the entire car and replace the top)

By the way, who did the installation of the viper system for you (I know I won't even attempt it)? I see on Viper's site they say installation of their products is included in the price. I have a best buy about 50 miles from me that Viper lists as a retailer.

Here ya go!

http://www.viper.com/P-508D/Invisibe...urbance-Sensor

and I use it with this system http://www.viper.com/ShopViperProduc...ItemCode=3303V

I've also added a Zoombak to the system, so that I can track my cars with my cell phone and get alerts if they move, with me being out of range for the car alarm to notify me.

Although I don't use it, there is the ability to use the remote start feature with this system too. It's actually pretty cool.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

Awesome- I will be picking these up, as well as the camera for the garage as soon as the car is back from the body shop (2 weeks to a month was the estimated time, since they have to paint the entire car and replace the top)

By the way, who did the installation of the viper system for you (I know I won't even attempt it)? I see on Viper's site they say installation of their products is included in the price. I have a best buy about 50 miles from me that Viper lists as a retailer.
I use a guy called Sean at Action Tint and Sound in Fredericksburg (VA). He's super cool, really good with prices and really careful with cars. Heck, when I went in there, he was working on some guys Ferrari - which was good enough for me.

He does all the work I need.

Super nice guy.

I think the cops and FBI use him to do some really technical stuff from time to time - so I guess no project is too technical for him.

He once told me about a camera system he had set up for some guy who had his cars vandalised by his ex wife - within a day or so she was behind bars with Video evidence. Awesome!

Here's the link to his site. http://www.actionautosound.biz/

Get notified of new replies

To Best Alarm System for Detraction of Vandalism

Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I'll take a wild guess at... car insurance.

I have heard on he news that a guy had an alarm the would calll him when his car was being broken into. He ran outside and got his azz beat before his car was stolen.

Last edited by Bluefire; 04-18-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
50in1st
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I'll take a wild guess at... car insurance.

I have heard on he news that a guy had an alarm the would calll him when his car was being broken into. He ran outside and got his azz beat before his car was stolen.
Which is why you also use a camera, and record footage of the theft - while calling the cops.

If you also use a GPS tracker, you don't have to break a sweat.

It's worth noting that the Viper Keyfob will tell you what is happening, as in - chirping at snooping people, or, going bat sh't crazy due to a full on 'someone's actually trying to steal me!' Which is when you call the cops - if you and the car are not at home.

With all that said - I would highly recommend Bluefire leave his car outside with the key in the ignition, no alarm, and a sign on the garage door saying "I'm outa town, come on in and help yourself - I'm insured." Let us know how that works out for you.

Last edited by 50in1st; 04-18-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 PM
chris723@ptd.net
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

when i lived in ny they took 23 cars in 1 nite 2 vetts 1 z28 and my TA the rest were lincolns & cadis & olds and no 1 heard a thing most of the cars had alarms if they want the car its gone

Quick Reply: Best Alarm System for Detraction of Vandalism