Sponsored by:

Review of Corvettemods HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 01:05 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Review of Corvettemods HID Kit

I am in the process of installing HID low beam and fog lights that I bought from Corvettemods.

Prior to this, I had bought and installed HID's on many cars, and my last C5 I used a kit from JW Motoring and the installation was quick and easy.

Not quick, and not easy with the Corvettemods kit.

Here is what I have found.

Fog lights- installation is straightforward, except the supplied connector has spades that are spaced wider than the spades on the car's harness.
The solution according to Corvettemods is to connect the 2 spades individually directly into the vehicle's connector, then tape it up with electrical tape.
I don't consider that an acceptable way to make an electrical connection and wouldn't call that plug and play.

Since I had no alternative at the moment, I did hook it up that way for now.

Both fog lights worked, however the 10A fuse for the fogs blew.
Corvettemods' answer was to use a 15A fuse. Again, I don't like the idea of moving up a fuse size, since the wiring was designed for a 10A fuse, not a 15, although I realize that the higher draw is just on initial turning on of the lights. With the 15 A fuse the fog lights work fine.

Low beams- Here the connectors fit...the low beam light connector has the spades further apart.

The bulbs supplied fit very tightly into the socket, and could not be rotated to lock them in. After trying repeatedly, there was a scuff mark on one of the tabs. The tab was too thick. I sanded the tab down a bit and then the bulbs did rotate to lock in place.

After install, both bulbs lit up. Unfortunately, the driver's side on only stays lit if the car is in neutral. As soon as you put it into gear, either first or reverse, the bulb flickers and goes out.

Thinking that it may be a weak battery issue, I hooked my battery up to charge it overnight.

Today with a fully charged battery, same thing. The driver's light goes on, then goes off when car is put in gear.

I did email Corvettemods last night a couple of times, and the response was very quick both times,even late on a Friday night.

They told me about the direct connection of the spades into the vehicle connector, which I had seen in the instructions but I guess I couldn't believe that was acceptable.

They also told me to put in a 15A fuse for the fogs instead of the 10.

They did blame all my problems on installer error. When I buy a plug and play kit, I don't expect to have to bypass proper connectors and make a connection that requires tape, I don't expect to have to shave down light bulb sockets to make them fit, and I certainly don't expect to have to increase fuse size to keep a fuse from blowing.

Like I said at the beginning, I have done this simple HID conversion many times, on different cars, and have never run into as much trouble as this one.

At this point, I will probably pull everything out and send it back to Corvettemods. Not sure if I will get a refund, but I would hope so.

This was my experience, yours may vary, but I think it's worthwhile knowing what I went through.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Guilty in Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I buy a plug and play kit, I don't expect to have to bypass proper connectors and make a connection that requires tape, I don't expect to have to shave down light bulb sockets to make them fit, and I certainly don't expect to have to increase fuse size to keep a fuse from blowing.

Like I said at the beginning, I have done this simple HID conversion many times, on different cars, and have never run into as much trouble as this one.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That's unacceptable. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

An update-

Picked up an HID set for the low beams locally today..."Migo racing" brand ballasts and new bulbs.

Bulbs fit fine, were tight but rotated.

Hooked it all up, lights lit up right away, no flicker and no problem.

Also, the lights go up and down perfectly....NO RESISTOR needed!

Moral of the story...buy name brand equipment. Would have saved me a ton of time, plus the cost of the resistor.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 PM
C5_P3rf3ct10n
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to install the corvette mods low beam kit in about 30 minutes by myself and they work perfect... Very happy and satisfied with them especially for the price...
Old 04-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Radicaltimes
Instructor

So did you contact them about your issues before posting ? That is the first step in having a problem. If I sold someone something and they weren't happy I would want them to contact me first. Then if I did not take care of the issue then post it.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Radicaltimes
So did you contact them about your issues before posting ? That is the first step in having a problem. If I sold someone something and they weren't happy I would want them to contact me first. Then if I did not take care of the issue then post it.
Did you read my posting??

"I did email Corvettemods last night a couple of times, and the response was very quick both times,even late on a Friday night.

They told me about the direct connection of the spades into the vehicle connector, which I had seen in the instructions but I guess I couldn't believe that was acceptable.

They also told me to put in a 15A fuse for the fogs instead of the 10.

They did blame all my problems on installer error. When I buy a plug and play kit, I don't expect to have to bypass proper connectors and make a connection that requires tape, I don't expect to have to shave down light bulb sockets to make them fit, and I certainly don't expect to have to increase fuse size to keep a fuse from blowing
."

They had"solutions" that were unacceptable to me. You may be Ok with them, but I was not. I posted the whole story. Read it.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Radicaltimes
Instructor

Sorry I missed that.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by Radicaltimes
His post clearly states that they told him it was his error installing that caused his problem.

To the OP thank you for the post. Glad you are up and running.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:51 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank You for the review. I had been considering HID fogs for awhile but now I will not get them. I also think plug and play would be just. Tape and and not using the connector is getto to me.

Last edited by craig04c5; 04-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by hzz
An update-

Picked up an HID set for the low beams locally today..."Migo racing" brand ballasts and new bulbs.

Moral of the story...buy name brand equipment. Would have saved me a ton of time, plus the cost of the resistor.
Migo Racing is a name nrand? Never heard of them.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Migo Racing is a name nrand? Never heard of them.
I had never heard of them either, but they are big with the rice rocket crowd in Toronto.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:34 PM
Ron Lucero
Heel & Toe

Default HID problems

Originally Posted by hzz
An update-

I too am having the same problems from Corvetter Mods on the HID kit. Could you send me a link, phone number, part number of kit that you purchased from Migo Racing? I have emailed Corvette Mods and am waiting for a response back.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I bought the same kit from corvette mods too. Had a few issues and questions which were both answered and fixed very quickly. I would do business with him again
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for your review. Feedback like this is one of the great things about this forum.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Ron Lucero
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Thanks for your review. Feedback like this is one of the great things about this forum.
Got a Reply back from CorvetteMods about replacement HID bulbs. They are replacing both with no problem. I just have to ship them to old and i will get the new ones in 3-4 days. Easy communications and transactions. We will see how the new ones work out. Guess I have to put in a 15 amp fuse also...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/imag...ies/salute.gif
Old 12-25-2014, 03:39 PM
chiapet
Heel & Toe

I just received my low beam kit (among a few other products) from Corvette mods earlier this week - after spending 20 minutes trying to get it installed, I performed a search and found this forum thread.

My bulbs required filing down on all three tabbed sides in order to get the driver side to fit. The plugs and harness provided only fit one way (based on male and female plugs, etc.) yet the light would not power up even with the car running. I will of course be contacting Corvette Mods Friday morning, but had I found this post prior to my order... I would not have ordered at all.

As additional items - I also ordered the A pillar carbon fiber overlay - the one side was actually not cut right. It had a bend toward the top - curved a bit. The LED interior light kit I ordered supposedly could do white, blue or red - I got a bag of 7 LED bulbs and a strip of paper that talked about how to plug in the bulb but nothing else - where each of the bulbs should be installed, etc.

I am not new to DIY mods, but this was supposed to be turn key - it definitely was not.
Old 12-25-2014, 05:28 PM
C.Lunn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapet
I just received my low beam kit (among a few other products) from Corvette mods earlier this week - after spending 20 minutes trying to get it installed, I performed a search and found this forum thread.

My bulbs required filing down on all three tabbed sides in order to get the driver side to fit. The plugs and harness provided only fit one way (based on male and female plugs, etc.) yet the light would not power up even with the car running. I will of course be contacting Corvette Mods Friday morning, but had I found this post prior to my order... I would not have ordered at all.

As additional items - I also ordered the A pillar carbon fiber overlay - the one side was actually not cut right. It had a bend toward the top - curved a bit. The LED interior light kit I ordered supposedly could do white, blue or red - I got a bag of 7 LED bulbs and a strip of paper that talked about how to plug in the bulb but nothing else - where each of the bulbs should be installed, etc.

I am not new to DIY mods, but this was supposed to be turn key - it definitely was not.
You got a piece of paper? I got nothing just the bag of LEDs.

Get notified of new replies

To Review of Corvettemods HID Kit

Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 PM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by chiapet

I have had similar frustration with items bought from that vendor. But they insist that they have been in business many years, have sold thousands of items and have hundreds of very satisfied customers, etc.
Anyway, i will spend a little more with a company that is easier to work with next time I have money to spend on my Vette.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:46 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by C5_P3rf3ct10n
I was able to install the corvette mods low beam kit in about 30 minutes by myself and they work perfect... Very happy and satisfied with them especially for the price...
Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
I bought the same kit from corvette mods too. Had a few issues and questions which were both answered and fixed very quickly. I would do business with him again
Originally Posted by Ron Lucero
Got a Reply back from CorvetteMods about replacement HID bulbs. They are replacing both with no problem. I just have to ship them to old and i will get the new ones in 3-4 days. Easy communications and transactions. We will see how the new ones work out. Guess I have to put in a 15 amp fuse also...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/imag...ies/salute.gif
Thanks for the reviews guys

We are the only vendor offering a lifetime warranty. If you need help we offer it free of charge. It is a plug and play kit meaning no cutting, splicing or permanent modification.

When the supplied instructions are followed the kit works flawlessly. If anything goes out we replace it. That's standing behind a product

Since everyone has a different level of skill we can't guarantee that you may not need to call upon an installer for assistance but that is a given with any item that is purchased.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 PM
chiapet
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by C.Lunn
You got a piece of paper? I got nothing just the bag of LEDs.
Well... it was a very rough cut strip of paper talking about the fact that the bulbs a polarized and if they do not work upon initial installation, pull them out, rotate them 180 degrees and reinstall.That was it.

Two additional items I ordered (sun shade & black embroidered floor matts) are showing as delivered but I definitely do not have them. Funny part is the tracking number is the same for several items and there is no possible way that the sun shade or matts could have fit in the box with the other parts received.... that is, unless they were for a matchbox sized car.

I was originally enticed by their lifetime warranty, thinking that theses guys stand behind their product. At this point I am seeing more and more warning signs after the fact.

By the way my 2001 Z06 is my first Corvette. I made the transition from a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible. I wanted something I could "play" with.

Keep in mind, I will still reach out to Corvette Mods and post back on the results. I want them to have the opportunity to make this all right in the end.

Last edited by chiapet; 12-25-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Review of Corvettemods HID Kit