Sponsored by:

SVS ABS, AH, TRACTION -No codes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Default SVS ABS, AH, TRACTION -No codes?

My "service abs" light and "traction control" light are now on all the time. I am getting messages on the DIC "Service ABS, Service Active Handling, Service Traction System".

However the only code I am seeing is BO RFA C2120 (Tire Pressure Monitoring) which I always throw because I swapped wheels from a 2001 onto my 1999 without swapping the tire pressure sensors.

??
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

How did you retrieve the codes??
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
How did you retrieve the codes??
Push "Reset"
Hold "Options" while pressing "Fuel" 4 times within 10 seconds.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you tried pulling the codes with the engine running after the messages come up???
No, I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:52 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

Have you tried pulling the codes with the engine running after the messages come up???
OK, I just pulled these while the engine is running:

BO RFA U1096H
U1064H
U1016H

28 TCS C1243 H C
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

C1243 is BMPV pump motor stalled. I suggest that you start by having the brake fluid flushed and then do an advanced search through the entire post for C1243. There are plenty of posts on how to manually exercise the pump to free it up. The flush will help get rid of the likely thick and black brake fluid that clogs the pump. I've also seen posts where a weak battery was responsible for the problem so check out the battery as well. The pump check starts immediately and so having voltage from the alternator after the car is running may not be adequate.
New battery less than 2 months old. I'll have fluid flushed.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 AM
cgcreamer
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lousy Dealer?

I was getting the Service ABS, Active Handling and Traction Control in my 2002 C5. I took it to the dealer and they cleared the codes but said it was a failure of two computers and they needed to be replaced for just under $5,000. I passed! The message and lights came back a couple of times but have not been back for a while now.

Anyway, I just am very skeptical of that dealer. Any thoughts?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
dcandel
Pro

Oldtimer

C1243 is BMPV pump motor stalled. I suggest that you start by having the brake fluid flushed and then do an advanced search through the entire post for C1243. There are plenty of posts on how to manually exercise the pump to free it up. The flush will help get rid of the likely thick and black brake fluid that clogs the pump. I've also seen posts where a weak battery was responsible for the problem so check out the battery as well. The pump check starts immediately and so having voltage from the alternator after the car is running may not be adequate.
Flushed brake fluid (battery is new), problem gone - for now.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by cgcreamer
I was getting the Service ABS, Active Handling and Traction Control in my 2002 C5. I took it to the dealer and they cleared the codes but said it was a failure of two computers and they needed to be replaced for just under $5,000. I passed! The message and lights came back a couple of times but have not been back for a while now.

Anyway, I just am very skeptical of that dealer. Any thoughts?
I'm telling everyone to start stocking up on used or new parts, as necessary, for future gremlins. Get them while they are cheap and available. The New GM would rather have you buy a new car, even one of theirs, than continue making these complicated parts for those of us driving GM cars more than 10 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To SVS ABS, AH, TRACTION -No codes?

Quick Reply: SVS ABS, AH, TRACTION -No codes?