Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a Corvette = Have a year to shop but can't buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 AM
EmpReb
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Corvette = Have a year to shop but can't buy.

I am in the National Guard and will be in BCT and AIT(mostly this) for about a year. I will want/kind of need to get a car after I am out but I would love to be able to get C5 corvette manual coupe when I get back next (2013) fall.

What should I be looking for or keep my eyes on for the year I spend at AIT(I do have free time)?

And also what is a good price range to consider since I am looking at base/non modded Corvettes(pre 2001's unless I see a good deal for the newer ones.)?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,419 Likes on 14,038 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hard to say what Corvette prices will do in the next year, but most likely the C5 will continue to depreciate. You don't mention what your budget will be, but for $15-20K, you should be able to find a very nice, lower mileage C5. There are deals out there and patience can save a lot of money, especially if you do not limit yourself to just looking at cars in your local area.

I've got a bunch of Word documents that talk about the C5, including a Corvette Buyers Checklist. These might help you as you go along over the next year. If you'd like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.

And thanks for your service.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:39 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Stay focused on your training above all else. Don't worry about the car, you won't be able to enjoy it until you get back anyway. No distractions.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:12 AM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

They're all good! Personally I would look for a 2003 but since that's what I have I admit to being biased. The EBCM's on these cars seem to fail quite a bit, and earlier model years are not repairable nor are they available through GM. 01 thru 04 can be repaired or purchased new, I just had mine repaired by absfixer for $200. Some 2004's have problems with the fuel crossover (GM will cover repair if you meet conditions), earlier models don't. Some parts such as key fobs and tire sensors are more expensive for earlier models. Beware of magnetic ride control on 03's, I have it and love it, I haven't had problems with it but I've learned that if the shocks fail it will cost thousands to have them replaced unless I go with another shock. I've learned all this and more by being on this forum, keep researching on here in your spare time and thank you for your service.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM
EmpReb
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Hard to say what Corvette prices will do in the next year, but most likely the C5 will continue to depreciate. You don't mention what your budget will be, but for $15-20K, you should be able to find a very nice, lower mileage C5. There are deals out there and patience can save a lot of money, especially if you do not limit yourself to just looking at cars in your local area.

I've got a bunch of Word documents that talk about the C5, including a Corvette Buyers Checklist. These might help you as you go along over the next year. If you'd like a copy, just PM me your e-mail address.

And thanks for your service.
Thanks, I am slightly concerned about buying out of my local area still. I just feel weird that I cannot check the car out in person and that I don't have an unlimited budget (15k highest 10k preferred. Hence the look at the pre 01s) so I don't want to get fooled out of a lot of money. Also I will sent you a PM some time.

Originally Posted by RedSoxFan
They're all good! Personally I would look for a 2003 but since that's what I have I admit to being biased. The EBCM's on these cars seem to fail quite a bit, and earlier model years are not repairable nor are they available through GM. 01 thru 04 can be repaired or purchased new, I just had mine repaired by absfixer for $200. Some 2004's have problems with the fuel crossover (GM will cover repair if you meet conditions), earlier models don't. Some parts such as key fobs and tire sensors are more expensive for earlier models. Beware of magnetic ride control on 03's, I have it and love it, I haven't had problems with it but I've learned that if the shocks fail it will cost thousands to have them replaced unless I go with another shock. I've learned all this and more by being on this forum, keep researching on here in your spare time and thank you for your service.
I have read up on the EBCM's issue... and since I am getting this as a semi long distance commute car(spoiling myself I know). I think the 01's or newer might be the better buy for me. I will see... so much to learn about XD

Last edited by EmpReb; 05-16-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: more info

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a Corvette = Have a year to shop but can't buy.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Corvette = Have a year to shop but can't buy.