Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Who's running the adjustable Hotchkis sways?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Default Who's running the adjustable Hotchkis sways?

I searched but didn't find a recent thread on these guys.

If your Z has the adjustable Hotchkis sway bars:
- What is your general overall opinion of them?
- Which setting is your rear bar set to, and how is the balance?
- Does your car see any track time or serious canyon carving styled driving?
Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have run the Hotchkiss sways for about 4 years now. Originally ran them with stock springs and Bilstein shocks which were a great street combination. Settled on the middle setting after trying all three at the track. Noticably stiffer than stock, but the car was dead on neutral in cornering with almost no body roll. Now run with LG coilovers and Pfadt poly bushings which are fantastic for the track but would be too stiff for most folks on the street. Use the same bar setting with this combination. The Hotchkiss bars IMHO are a good bang for the buck.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Great info.

When you say they're noticeably stiffer than stock, can you elaborate on that at all? I know everyone has their own personal tolerances, but would you be apprehensive to use them on a daily driven city car?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm running the Hotchkiss sway, stock springs, and Bilsteins on my track car. They're set on the outside hole and the car is totally neutral with Toyo 888s.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking at the Hotchkis bars you should look at our Johnny O'Connell bars as well!

Our Johnny O'Connell sway bar package include the bars, heavy duty metal endlinks, and polyurethane sway bar bushings... everything you're going to need to freshen up the entire sway bar system for your C5.

Not only are our bars stiffer than stock, but you also get a bar package designed to change the handling balance of the car from slight oversteer with the factory C5Z bars, to more neutral. The Johnny O'Connell bar package gets an aggressive front sway bar to help the car turn in well, as well as make the car easier to drive by bringing the balance of the car closer to neutral. During the development of our complete Johnny O'Connell package we noticed an immediate drop in lap times after installing just the bars with Johnny O'Connell behind the wheel of our C6Z development car. Here is a video we took during testing of that package.

Let me know if you have any questions! We really love the entire Johnny O'Connell package, and the sway bars are an integral part of that performance increase!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
If you're looking at the Hotchkis bars you should look at our Johnny O'Connell bars as well!
Yeah, I was thinking about them for a while. Compared to your Johnny O bars, the Hotchkis seem to be a little softer, and balanced a little more toward oversteer, both of which I think I want for my specific application. I'm sure you guys put out a great product, though.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Great info.

When you say they're noticeably stiffer than stock, can you elaborate on that at all? I know everyone has their own personal tolerances, but would you be apprehensive to use them on a daily driven city car?
Bars are stiffer than stock, limiting body roll a lot. In a normal driving situation with bumps (jounce and rebound - hitting a pot hole) they are not that much different from stock sways and very liveable. "Performance driving" is where you will really notice the difference. Use the Hotchkiss rubber mounts, not the poly ones, and they will be great for a DD situation. I drove mine for 2 years and 15K miles that way before making the additional mods.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I been running the front bar only. I have the LG coilovers and I feel it is the right combo. I have the stock Z rear bar. I don't think you need any more than that. I have tryed a lot of combos and also have ran with the rear unhooked. I run hard on our runs and have just came home from a 5000 mile 15 state road trip. Best I have had on my Z for my driving style. Call them direct they are in Santa Fe Springs. Get your end links at a bearing suppler. Such as King Brg. 1/2 inch rod ends 0ne male one female. You only need to run one on one side and you can dial in your corner balance your car. Works great for all aroubd driving. If you are tracking then I would run both fronts.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran them as a set for a while, then I switched to a Strano front bar. I now thing the rear is too stiff for autox and an going back to a c5 Z06 rear
Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I have run the Hotchkiss sways for about 4 years now. Originally ran them with stock springs and Bilstein shocks which were a great street combination. Settled on the middle setting after trying all three at the track. Noticably stiffer than stock, but the car was dead on neutral in cornering with almost no body roll. Now run with LG coilovers and Pfadt poly bushings which are fantastic for the track but would be too stiff for most folks on the street. Use the same bar setting with this combination. The Hotchkiss bars IMHO are a good bang for the buck.

I am running the stock springs and the Bilsteins with the hotchkis setup. My driving is mainly street, but I do go up to the mountains and like driving the tight turns at Tale of the Dargon and was curious what hole would you run in for mainly street driving with a few mountain drives through the year?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mph1972
I am running the stock springs and the Bilsteins with the hotchkis setup. My driving is mainly street, but I do go up to the mountains and like driving the tight turns at Tale of the Dargon and was curious what hole would you run in for mainly street driving with a few mountain drives through the year?
I personally like the middle setting for all around driving, my car was neutral. Try driving each setting for a while and see what YOU like best. It's only a 15 minute job to swap the connections from one hole on the bar to the other.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I personally like the middle setting for all around driving, my car was neutral. Try driving each setting for a while and see what YOU like best. It's only a 15 minute job to swap the connections from one hole on the bar to the other.
That was my pan. I appreciate it. When making these adjustments, did it impact your alignment at all. I would not think so, but you guys deal with this a lot more than I have.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
pcbunn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hotchkiss front and rear bars are way better than the stock '01Z's set up imho. I have the rear set in the middle but haven't tried anything else yet but might move it to the inside for a bit more roll stiffness. I thought they were a big improvement over oem.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

That was my pan. I appreciate it. When making these adjustments, did it impact your alignment at all. I would not think so, but you guys deal with this a lot more than I have.
No impact what so ever on the alignment, only on the roll stiffness of the car.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

No impact what so ever on the alignment, only on the roll stiffness of the car.

Great and appreciate the information. Feels pretty good in the middle hole.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Feels pretty good in the middle hole.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:59 PM
LiteraCola
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait...there's a middle hole?

Get notified of new replies

To Who's running the adjustable Hotchkis sways?

Old 07-02-2012, 05:42 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by LiteraCola
Wait...there's a middle hole?

Take a simple comment and turn it around.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

How does the Hotchkis front bar wall thickness compare to the Addco front bar? I have a 32 mm Addco front bar, 1/4" wall thickness.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

I finally had these sway bars installed yesterday with rubber bushings, and this morning I gave them a rigorous street test on some back canyon roads. Here are my impressions:

Overall, the steering just feels more precise, responsive, and confidence-inspiring. Body roll is noticeably decreased, and is virtually nonexistent for all but the most extreme of conditions. My biggest gripe with the stock suspension is the feeling of instability when quickly transitioning from a hard left to a hard right (or vice versa); with the upgraded sways this feeling is completely gone. When driving over bumps, this setup really doesn't feel any firmer than stock, making it great for a daily driver or other car that's frequently driven in the city. I attribute this behavior to the rubber bushings. For a track-only car, poly bushings may give a more optimal setup. The balance is definitely better than stock. I understand why they made the C5Z understeer from the factory, but I've always hated that behavior. The car feels much more neutral now.

That's about the best I can do now for a review. I won't be on track again until November, and I can only push the car so hard on public roads...

EDIT: btw, my rear bar is on the middle setting

Last edited by skyavonee; 07-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Who's running the adjustable Hotchkis sways?