flat black or satin black vinyl stripes. question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 06:53 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default flat black or satin black vinyl stripes. question

are these hard to maintain? do they hold up well or do they show surface scratches easily etc.?

giving the car a refreshing and am considering satin black stripe in place of the gunmetal i currently have. Kind of giving a little attitude.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

I've been wondering about this myself...And how about when you wash and wask the car? Do you tape off the vinyl and avoid it? Do you apply wax to it like the rest of your paint? There are some really good vinyls out there that will hold up for years...
Old 06-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mre1974
I've been wondering about this myself...And how about when you wash and wask the car? Do you tape off the vinyl and avoid it? Do you apply wax to it like the rest of your paint? There are some really good vinyls out there that will hold up for years...
I am thinking about doing mine also and have the same question.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Even if you don't use Adams polishes check out their website as they have great "How To" videos on how to polish and wax around vinyl stripe kits.

BTW, I saw a black C6 Z06 with gray ghost stripes that were painted on. It looked killer!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I purchased my white stripes from vettestripes.com at the end of last summer. I put them on myself and it took about 5-6 hours since I was doing it myself and I was making sure they were 100% straight and even. Very easy to go on, just time consuming.

When it comes to cleaning them, when I wash the car, I use turtle wax car soap on the entire car including the stripes. After I dry the car, I pull it into the garage and use FW1 car cleaner and wax all over the car again. I do not spray it directly on the stripes, but wipe off the stripes with the remain cleaning product left on the towel.

There are no scratches or anything on my stripes as of yet. The worse problem I had was a bird used my car as a toilet and hit the stripes. I cleaned it off the next day and found out the bird crap stained the stripes orange of all colors. After several cleanings of that area, the orange bird poo stain came out.

I'm a fan of the stripes and glad they are in vinyl just in case one day I don't want them anymore, I can pull them right off. My next stripes after the 5-7 years they are suppose to hold up for will probably be dark grey.

Hope this help.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:00 PM
dadsturn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by johnsos30
I purchased my white stripes from vettestripes.com at the end of last summer. I put them on myself and it took about 5-6 hours since I was doing it myself and I was making sure they were 100% straight and even. Very easy to go on, just time consuming.

When it comes to cleaning them, when I wash the car, I use turtle wax car soap on the entire car including the stripes. After I dry the car, I pull it into the garage and use FW1 car cleaner and wax all over the car again. I do not spray it directly on the stripes, but wipe off the stripes with the remain cleaning product left on the towel.

There are no scratches or anything on my stripes as of yet. The worse problem I had was a bird used my car as a toilet and hit the stripes. I cleaned it off the next day and found out the bird crap stained the stripes orange of all colors. After several cleanings of that area, the orange bird poo stain came out.

I'm a fan of the stripes and glad they are in vinyl just in case one day I don't want them anymore, I can pull them right off. My next stripes after the 5-7 years they are suppose to hold up for will probably be dark grey.

Hope this help.

i have already had the glossy stripes, but the flat or satin is a different animal to deal with. hopefully someone with these can chime in.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:48 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I would think taping them off for the polish/wax and then applying some 303 Aerospace vinyl treatment on the stripes afterward would do the trick.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I would think taping them off for the polish/wax and then applying some 303 Aerospace vinyl treatment on the stripes afterward would do the trick.

Peace
Chip

Get notified of new replies

To flat black or satin black vinyl stripes. question

Quick Reply: flat black or satin black vinyl stripes. question