Sponsored by:

To all the Pace Car Haters

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 PM
AngryTurtle
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mxz800
Wow this was to way to easy like shooting fish in a barrel. When I join a forum rather then weed out the rude, useless members over time, (Those members never really give out any real advice etc just take up space being A-- Clowns) I like to throw a little bait, then I can use the ignore button. (This forum is a little more work using an ignore list.)
Mommy, the internet man said mean things about my car. :'(

Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
den dog
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had more comments from people about the 98 Pace Car (All good by the way) then I ever had in the past. I would get comments when I drove the 70 454 Corvette around, and a few people will say nice car when I'm out with the 74 convertible.

A lot of people who don't live and breathe Corvettes had never seen one. When I stopped at CVS today a woman, and her daughter walked up to my car. The Mother said: "Excuse me Sir is that a race car?" I replied no its just a corvette. "Just a corvette"? That Sir is the best looking corvette we have ever seen. They asked a lot of questions.

I didn't pay anymore then I would've paid for a run of the mill 98 Navy Blue Corvette.
i just traded my 2000 vette for the pace car this is my 4th vette and i will never sell it the way i look at it, i like something different i just don,t want a plain vette the attention part of it is getting old i did not buy it for this reason i bought it because it,s different and i like it
Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

I'll go with the haters-hideous color combo and nothing says UGLY like yellow wagon wheels.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:07 AM
den dog
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
I just can't stand the yellow wheels. Or seats. Coming from someone who owns a Mellinium Yellow corvette.

I saw another guy on this forum with chrome thinspokes on his Pace Car and I really liked it. Or maybe with black wheels.

Also, something to think about, 99% of people who think "Man, those yellow wheels look funny" aren't going to come up and say it to your face. On ebay or craigslist you'll see all sorts of stupid looking modded cars and the owner will say "Attention getter! People say all sorts of awesome things about it around town!"

Any car which looks out of the ordinary will get comments. Hell, throw some black wheels and racing stripes on a stock Z06 and you'll get 10X more comments than a bone stock car.

Not trying to rain on your parade, I like Pace cars and the concept, but the c5 pace car scheme is just not for me.
i seen one with the zo6 wheels, very nice, but i would never take the yellow wheels off the car is different ,let it be different
Old 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I wonder how many of the 300 built are still alive and well.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,500 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Until the day comes where someone hands me over the cash to buy a new Corvette, I really don't care what other people think of my choices. As a member of this forum, I ask for advice and when I post pics, I have to expect pros and cons because this is a public forum.

As to the pace cars in general, I personally have never been attracted to them beyond their collector status. Even then, I think GM and the dealers make more money than any "elite" status the pace cars or commemorative editions provide in resale value. Plus, as a previous owner of cars with decals/stripes, I found them to be a PITA to maintain, wash, polish, wax, detail, etc. Again, my opinion and not THE opinion. They are popular at shows though and are fun to look at.

Regarding the 1998 specifically, it's obvious that a pace car should have a little "look at me" attitude because they are trying to draw attention to the car. However, once you remove the decals, I wonder if GM would have offered a purple exterior C5 with yellow wagon wheels and a yellow interior as a package option in 1998, and if they did, how many units would they have sold?! I don't think too many.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Brackneyc
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am indifferent to them, as I am to all Vettes/cars which do not belong to me.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Noone is going to come up to you on the street like they do on the internet and say man that is one fugy car. But I will on the internet, man that is one fugly car...
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Chicago1
Noone is going to come up to you on the street like they do on the internet and say man that is one fugy car. But I will on the internet, man that is one fugly car...
...sort of like how the same guy who just cut in front of 20 other cars onto an exit ramp would never walk into McDonalds and cut in front of 20 people standing in line.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Relsek
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggroller
I don't know how many are still around but I saw three of them together in the same parking lot last weekend.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM
den dog
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ggroller
1163 were built
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

I wouldnt say i hate the pace car, just wasnt my cup of tea. As a matter of fact, when i decided to shop for a corvette, the pace car was never considered or any other model other than the ZO6 for that matter. To each his own. There are vette owners who never cared for the hardtop look originally or even the cosmetics on the Z, but in the years since, MANY non-Z owners added mesh brake ducts,mesh front scoops, fender badges, ZO6 wheels etc., to their non Z vettes. Even some vert owners have bought the removable hardtop. Grand sports are another example(below).You do have a unique ride, i just dont see many non pace car vette owners adding pace car decals,stripes,yellow wheels,etc.Also,just did the Carlisle trip this year and the pace cars were grouped together,proud bunch. Not a hater, just sayin.

Last edited by DARRYLZO6; 10-10-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 PM
den dog
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Relsek
I don't know how many are still around but I saw three of them together in the same parking lot last weekend.
i have not seen one in my state yet, when i bought it the dealer said he has seen only 2 in new england so my chances are slim if one drives by
Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not everyone has the same tastes, thats why there are menu's in restaurants. As long as you love it thats all that matters.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM
den dog
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
I wouldnt say i hate the pace car, just wasnt my cup of tea. As a matter of fact, when i decided to shop for a corvette, the pace car was never considered or any other model other than the ZO6 for that matter. To each his own. There are vette owners who never cared for the hardtop look originally or even the cosmetics on the Z, but in the years since, MANY non-Z owners added mesh brake ducts,mesh front scoops, fender badges, ZO6 wheels etc., to their non Z vettes. Even some vert owners have bought the removable hardtop. You do have a unique ride, i just dont see many non pace car vette owners adding pace car decals,stripes,yellow wheels,etc. Not a hater, just sayin.
you i love all vettes i almost bought a z06 i had white, pewter grey ,red,i wanted something different to me i haven't seen a ugly vette there all one of a kind
Old 10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MSG C5
...sort of like how the same guy who just cut in front of 20 other cars onto an exit ramp would never walk into McDonalds and cut in front of 20 people standing in line.
I guess your not from the New England area it happens all the time here. When they get told to get at the back of the line they get pi$$y. Then when they get into their car it always has Mass Plates. That is the reason everyone calls them Ma$$holes.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 PM
mxz800
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by den dog
i have not seen one in my state yet, when i bought it the dealer said he has seen only 2 in new england so my chances are slim if one drives by
I guess if you do see one in New England it will be me or the other guy.

Get notified of new replies

To To all the Pace Car Haters

Old 10-10-2012, 02:40 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chicago1
But people on the street generally don't do around asking "do you like my car"!!

Don't post stuff on a public forum if you can't take some heat for it. All the different pace cars I've seen over the years have all been FUGLY. The local Chevy dealer close to be had a C6 pace car on the lot new for several years, couldn't hardly sell it (for all I know he may still have it).
Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
But people on the street generally don't do around asking "do you like my car"!!

Don't post stuff on a public forum if you can't take some heat for it. All the different pace cars I've seen over the years have all been FUGLY. The local Chevy dealer close to be had a C6 pace car on the lot new for several years, couldn't hardly sell it (for all I know he may still have it).
I can agree with that. But i also think us Corvette owners/enthusiats are an **** bunch. Because of that,most of us dont want decals/stripes all over our cars. I did say most,not all. That also goes for some of these deck spoilers that look like they belong on a stealth fighter.For instance, when i go to Bowling Green to the C5 Bash, I can count the vettes with stripes/decals on one hand. It has nothing to do with being a hater of pacecars,C4,C5orC6. Most of us like a look with clean lines.

Last edited by DARRYLZO6; 10-10-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I guess your not from the New England area it happens all the time here. When they get told to get at the back of the line they get pi$$y. Then when they get into their car it always has Mass Plates. That is the reason everyone calls them Ma$$holes.
I grew up near the south side of Chicago. If someone walked into a fast food restaurant and tried cutting in front of 20 people, waiting in a long line would be the last of his problems at that moment.

Quick Reply: To all the Pace Car Haters