Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 cooling fan ops?

Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default C5 cooling fan ops?

My 99 is running hot and I'm not sure the fans are working properly. Can someone pls explain proper ops (on temp, single vs dual ops, etc) so I can better understand what is or is not working?

Thanks for any help
Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Excellent! Thanks very much.

Should a fan stay on after engine shut down to cool down?
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Very good.
Thanks again for your help.

I'll compare your description to my ops and get back to you.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Fans appears to be functioning and cycling according to your notes. I have reduced antifreeze to about 40% without much change.

Other ideas to cool 'er down?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You do not have to cool it down, the cars is functioning correctly. You can try to clean the outside of the radiator, a lot of junk collects in/on the cooling fins.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:44 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Vettes are bottom breathers and pick up a huge amount of garbage in the AC condensor and radiator fins. I clean mine out annually and usually get several handfuls of garbage out. I remove the top radiator shroud and use a 90 deg air nozzle like the one in this link to blow everything out.
http://www.buy.com/prod/mountain-mtn...212940104.html. If you just rely on the hose from the inside, there are large areas that you can't get to because of the fan shroud. You have to do the condensor and the radiator separatly to get it all out.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The Vettes are bottom breathers and pick up a huge amount of garbage in the AC condensor and radiator fins. I clean mine out annually and usually get several handfuls of garbage out. I remove the top radiator shroud and use a 90 deg air nozzle like the one in this link to blow everything out.
http://www.buy.com/prod/mountain-mtn...212940104.html. If you just rely on the hose from the inside, there are large areas that you can't get to because of the fan shroud. You have to do the condensor and the radiator separatly to get it all out.
Thanks CHJ.
I am the third owner of my 99. The first owner did quite a number of mods including replacing the OE air filter. In order to accommodate the depth of the large KN filter, there is a 10" x 10" cutout in a metal plate that covers the radiator. This cutout includes a piece of shaped sheet metal that drops down about 1" towards the condenser/radiator.
I'm thinking that this is obstructing air flow to the condenser/radiator and driving up temps.

Where can I find a pic of the correct radiator shrouds so that I can compare with mine to see if I can better understand this?

Thanks again.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by flynhi
Thanks CHJ.
I am the third owner of my 99. The first owner did quite a number of mods including replacing the OE air filter. In order to accommodate the depth of the large KN filter, there is a 10" x 10" cutout in a metal plate that covers the radiator. This cutout includes a piece of shaped sheet metal that drops down about 1" towards the condenser/radiator.
I'm thinking that this is obstructing air flow to the condenser/radiator and driving up temps.

Where can I find a pic of the correct radiator shrouds so that I can compare with mine to see if I can better understand this?

Thanks again.
Does it look like a scoop? if so that is not it then. I have the same thing and my temps are 180-200
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by baxsom
Does it look like a scoop? if so that is not it then. I have the same thing and my temps are 180-200
It's not a scoop - it's more like a depressed square pan. I looked underneath and there is plenty of room between the backside of this depressed pan and the front of the condenser. So that's not the problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

I hosed the front of the condenser, the back of the radiator and the space between as best I could. There was some grass, etc in the radiator but not much.

Is there supposed to be a foam seal between the condenser and Radiator? When I rebuilt the cooling and AC systems on my C3, many recommended sealing the space between the two to insure that air came thru the condenser and did not go around the edges of the condenser to go thru the radiator. Does the same apply to the C5?

My AC works great so apparently the condenser is getting plenty of air now.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:27 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=8VETTE7;1581569110]

Have you checked coolant level and burped all the air from the system???

How do I burp air from the system?

Get notified of new replies

To C5 cooling fan ops?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C5 cooling fan ops?