Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Twin Turbos Or Supercharger??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Bduke
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Twin Turbos Or Supercharger??????

Hello, I have a 1998 C5 Corvette. I'm looking to get a lot more out of my car, and I'm stuck between a twin turbo kit from STS or a supercharger. I've already talked to the guys from STS. They were really easy to talk to. I really have not looked into a supercharger yet. But right now I'm kinda leaning toward the STS kit. I like the fact that it's a low boost kit... the only downfall is the turbo lag, which this kit seems to have a lot of.

But I guess what I'm looking for from anyone reading this is.. what's your opinion?

STS Turbo- Good or bad?

Supercharger VS Twin Turbos?

Overall opinion
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

I'm interested in the reply's you receive but you might want to post your question in the FI/Nitrous section
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just from "cool" factor, I would think that the twin turbo set up would be the ticket, but I don't know and will be watching this thread for other input from those who do know!!!!! I do know that turbo set ups are way impressive visually, if that means anything!!

DSTURBD
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

I think it depends on how you want it to behave. Quick launch drags? Forced induction blower! Running laps you might be better off with the turbos...both are really depends on where and when you need the power. I think the blower is much cheaper and less involved install as well. ..Better experts than me will chime in I'm sure

Last edited by CheezMoe; 09-02-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

To much unknown here. (1st) do you do alot of your work here. (2nd)how deep is your pockets. The most power for the money here is A/A or ECS. These will get you into the 750 too 900 plus rwhp. But if you like the T/turbo,s set up a diff set of problems altogether. If you go turbo,s hope you have deep pockets... Robert
Old 09-03-2012, 04:35 AM
PSR
Advanced

I dont know much about the turbo system you are talking about, but I can say the ECS supercharger is awesome. I had one installed by Them recently, and love it. The guys at ECS are very cool, and easy to work with. Either way you go, turbo or supercharger, your going to have a lot of fun when its finished.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by robert miller
To much unknown here. (1st) do you do alot of your work here. (2nd)how deep is your pockets. The most power for the money here is A/A or ECS. These will get you into the 750 too 900 plus rwhp. But if you like the T/turbo,s set up a diff set of problems altogether. If you go turbo,s hope you have deep pockets... Robert

SC's are easier to install and a lot cheaper. The STS system is in the rear of the car which brings up a whole other set of issues.

I'd go with SC if you plan to drive the car a lot. Also watch how much boost you run or you will be looking at a new motor.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Bduke
Heel & Toe

Another nice thing about the STS kit is that it's right around 9-10 grand.. including having the guys at STS install it. How much would the ECS SC run me?

A lot of you seem to be saying that if i get the turbos.. i'd need deep pockets... which kinda implies that i'll be running into a lot of problems. I'm kinda looking for minimal problems as well haha (as is everyone).
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bduke
Another nice thing about the STS kit is that it's right around 9-10 grand.. including having the guys at STS install it. How much would the ECS SC run me?

A lot of you seem to be saying that if i get the turbos.. i'd need deep pockets... which kinda implies that i'll be running into a lot of problems. I'm kinda looking for minimal problems as well haha (as is everyone).
Do some research, the STS system has an oil pump in the rear to lube the turbos, if it fails or you have leaks, etc ...

The tubing runs down your inner rockers for the charge pipes and you would not be able to have catalytic converters on you car, becuase if they ever break up they'll take out your turbos.

The STS kit will be loud as the only muffler will be the turbos.

The SC's don't have any of the issues. Easy install and linear power control.
The following users liked this post:
50 ANV C5 (04-16-2021)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 AM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe supercharges are more reliable. Cheaper and easier to install too. And some are completely emissions compliant.
OP mentioned liking low boost. Both the turbo and supercharger are going to push low boost on a stock engine. It revolves around what the engine can handle, not what the kits are capable of.
50 ANV C5 (04-16-2021)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

vendors in here selling and install and tune for 6199.00A ton of guys in here able to put what ever on your car. Then a ton less that are a true tuner of a car. If on east side of the world go ECS on west go A/A man will not go wrong with one are the other.. Robert
knewblewkorvette (04-17-2021)
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Bduke
Heel & Toe

vendors in here selling and install and tune for 6199.00A ton of guys in here able to put what ever on your car. Then a ton less that are a true tuner of a car. If on east side of the world go ECS on west go A/A man will not go wrong with one are the other.. Robert
I'm located near Green Bay, WI. I've heard a lot about Speed Inc... they're not all that far away from here. Would they be a good selection to have install it?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:43 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Get out your DVR and look for the last two episodes of "Two Guys Garage". They put in the STS turbo kit for a Wounded Warrior.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Bduke
Heel & Toe

Bump
Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'm located near Green Bay, WI. I've heard a lot about Speed Inc... they're not all that far away from here. Would they be a good selection to have install it?
Little closer to you is Late Model Throttle
http://www.latemodelthrottle.com/recent-tunes.html
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Basically, here's the pro-con brakedown:

Supercharger:
PROS
- relatively easy to install
- instant throttle response (no spool time)
- typically less expensive than turbos
- Much less plumbing involved (air and oil)
- Can be used with Common aftermarket exhaust systems and headers
- Easier to tune
- More reliable due to less to go wrong
- More consistent power curve since it's directly linked to the engine.

Cons:
- Lack of tuning options
- boost levels is fixed based on pulley size
- Allegedly less efficient than turbos.
- relatively linear power curve

Turbos:
PROS:
- gives you a lot of options for both boost and tuning
- boost can be adjusted on the fly
- Supposedly more efficient at making boost than SC units
- Has a steadily increasing power curve: the bigger the "bang" in the cylinder, the more it pushes the turbo and the faster the turbo spins resulting in that feeling of being "launched" after the turbos spool

Cons:
- LOTS of plumbing required.
- Typically a lot of modification to the exhaust system on non-DIY kits
- Significantly more expensive than most SC kits
- More difficult to control if you're not used to it
- Poor boost-throttle response without a specially designed cam
The following 2 users liked this post by TheRadioFlyer:
50 ANV C5 (04-16-2021), knewblewkorvette (04-17-2021)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Look up are give Mike Norris a p.m. Which ever way you want to go I know he can tune it and put it on your car.

Get notified of new replies

To STS Twin Turbos Or Supercharger??????

Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM
TheBigDog
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 28 Posts

Hello, I have a 1998 C5 Corvette. I'm looking to get a lot more out of my car, and I'm stuck between a twin turbo kit from STS or a supercharger. I've already talked to the guys from STS. They were really easy to talk to. I really have not looked into a supercharger yet. But right now I'm kinda leaning toward the STS kit. I like the fact that it's a low boost kit... the only downfall is the turbo lag, which this kit seems to have a lot of.

But I guess what I'm looking for from anyone reading this is.. what's your opinion?

STS Turbo- Good or bad?

Supercharger VS Twin Turbos?

Overall opinion
Neither,,,go with the TTi Kit...best on the market!

The Big Dog
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Turbo is arguably better in most respects, but it comes at a high cost.

S/C is much cheaper and easier, and its less complicated, both in the install and the way the car drives.

From the sounds of your posts, I think S/C is right for you (this coming from a turbo guy!)

Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Bduke
Heel & Toe

So if I were to have a local shop do it, could I still have it done for that price? Or something close to that?

Quick Reply: STS Twin Turbos Or Supercharger??????