Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CA Smog Nazi's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I can see where this thread is heading ......
Old 09-13-2012, 11:38 PM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by olbear1962
I can see where this thread is heading ......
Yes sir
Old 09-14-2012, 02:09 AM
soggysailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets refocus a bit.....

I'd like to hear more about the OBDII smog checks coming. I have a 97 and have been thinking about a tune and I've wondered what issues I may deal with at smog check time.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 AM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

Simply remove Blackwing filter and airbridge and put on the OEM airbox for smog test.
This can be done very easily and will give you a chance to clean filter and Throttle body.
Once every two years is really no big deal.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sogysailor
Lets refocus a bit.....

I'd like to hear more about the OBDII smog checks coming. I have a 97 and have been thinking about a tune and I've wondered what issues I may deal with at smog check time.

me too...
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Chrisrokc
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 58 Posts

Oklahoma has been rain free for the most part for a long while. Rain free not only equals wild fires , but it equals plenty of
Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 PM
bleeper
Pro

Originally Posted by 04blackice
Seen a smog xheck in fontana ca yesterday..moving to texas in 2 days.and whats so great about ca. The smog laws or watching the sunset through the brown sky.or all the overpriced houses..mabye the fuel prices.traffic?? Diseased beaches.now you cant smoke in some cities.but you can still go get sh&t faced in a bar.they wont drink n drive.enjoy im out of here.be there monday texas..
Hope you didn't move to Texas for its beaches because they suck.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:45 AM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Nah.not much for beaches. Wife had option to transfer.we took it..i like more rain.betr food.ppl are nicer..buy whatever gun i want.fireworks are legal.beef up da vette.renting a 3400 sqft house for 1800. Was 2400 in cali..cali was alright but not all that..well i did live in fairfield before and it is nice there.but la.san bern.inland impire is a dump..oh got pulled over driving into texas.twice.headlight out.warning....speeding.warning.....cops seem to be nicer.or civil. If i was in cali...ticket for light,tint,no front plate,speeding,ect. Lovn texas
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the place I smog my car at. I've gone there to smog my Trans Am and my last 2 Corvettes. The last time I went there in March (this year), I had a Vararam and LS7 exhaust manifolds installed. No smog tubes. And the smog pump was not connected to the Vararam anymore (as the smog pump is turned off).

The smog tech scratched his head and passed me on visual. LOL
Old 09-17-2012, 06:31 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Default You guys crack me up

I like the aggression on this site, and I am glad the original poster beat me to the punch about the "inland empire". I didn't want to seem rude, to bring it up.

There is a reason Fontana, (Used to be a great aluminum town) is referred to as "Fontucky" Sorry, those in Kentucky, that's what passes for humor around town.

Fontana kind of misses the point of living in California. Texas sure has good women, good bands, and good beer, but I'm not movin' there. I do have stories from Texas, however.

I was once crewing a ship that had a full Mobile, Alabama deck crew. Yeah, more stories, god yes.

Anyway, we started a run to the west coast, and were going to port in California. These guys were alway busting my chops about being from California, since as Red NECKS they have to hate on something for that feeling of unity we all crave. Always talking about the land of fruits and nuts,and anything else, I was the only Californian on the crew, and they had never been there before.

Once we landed , and the good ol' boys got to check out the place, I got personal apologies from a good handful of guys. Now these guys, if I were a violent man, would be on the "had it coming for a long time" list, but they still knew their manners.

Luckily for me, we didn't haul into a place like Fontana, as ports tend to that spectrum more often.

For me, my latest California lifestyle adventure involves, putting down the top of the black on black, chrome wagon wheel c5 and driving to the beach. I put a crap load of quarters in the meter, walk across the lot to the sand, and then go in the water. Big fun. Leads to meditations on time and space. The experience motivates fitness

I then spend a couple of days trying to shake the effects of pollution, a mild flu like condition. The ocean used to cure. Too many people, like me, driving to the beach, doing there thing, it adds up.

Well, at least I can say my car is legal. If my car is ever modified , it will still be legal. I'm no great mechanic, but I can read a dman magazine. I am definitively not saying I'm a model citizen., yet I do manage to come correct once in a while. Besides, I would feel like the biggest *** in history if, after all of my power mods, and the struggle to get them working , some other guy pulls up with the same power and also completely street legal. With my luck, i would probably meet them everywhere I went.

PS going (illegal) rate for a poor car to pass smog is $170, you can sell it to the smog police for $1000.

Last edited by strand rider; 09-17-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: big mouth
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LOL @ everything said about Fontuky.

It's true that Fontuky is pretty much the dumpster in the back of the 5 star hotel.

They even closed down the only reason to go there... The drag strip. That's the only strip I've ever run my 03Z on, and only got to run the car once. Oh well... I guess I don't have to deal with their crappy DA anymore.

There's a lot of really nice places in Cali. So it would definitely suck if Fontucky was using up some of that visitation time.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM
redroket
Racer

Default smog

Originally Posted by Dave68
You guys who don't live here are funny. A $50 smog test, once every 2 years and for that you'd rather live in parts of the country where it gets to be 110 degrees, rains often, snows, has salted streets, and lots of bugs?

Uh, I think I'll stay right where I am....

No rain from April to November
No snow in town but you can play in the stuff, one hour away in the mountains
No mosquitos or alligators (although are a few rattlesnakes in the canyons)
Low humidity most of the year
Average temps in middle of Winter = 67 degrees F
Most superchargers are perfectly legal
Smooth roads, since water on them never freezes

I've lived in other states but you couldn't pay me enough to leave this one, despite its "imperfections".

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled program......
I guess you don't drive much but the roads in California are horrible! I lived there for 25 years and loved every year of it, then. I moved out right before the housing crash (2000)and the economic disaster that is now California and will be for years to come. If you want to see decent roads go to Arizona! Yes it is hot here but you dont have a bunch of Libtards on every corner protesting this or that either!
OUT
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, sorry, we Californians have to stick together.... Yes, that is why I keep all my stock air cleaner, remove the Oil Catch Can, and learn how to give give poo poo face to the smog guy.. But alas, I found a very smart young man (Test Only) that knows that the Duel air cleaner and Oil Catch Can are better and don't affect smog and passes mine every two years.. I live in Concord Calif. you are in the east bay.. hit me up I'll turn you on to this great guy... send me your email and I'll give you his work address.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 AM
usmcpao
Intermediate

My car failed the visual twice due to the Blackwing. Any tips on where I can get an alternative filter for the smog test? Do I just change out the filter?
Old 05-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,537 Likes on 14,100 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Another reason I am glad I don't live in California .... One of many..
CA is a great place to visit, but the restrictions they put on you for all sorts of things just ends my wanting to live there.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mychebe
If you don't like California then stay out. Please think before you post.Is the reason they call red states red is becuause of the weather or the color of your necks?
as to the OP sorry about your luck

as to the quote- I believe thar is uh word in that fancy book of words:

hypocrisy I reckon you alls can look that one up!!!

I am just funning- I will keep to myself in the land of guns, gators, and long tube headers and no smog test
Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
bladex10
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

I love California. I wouldnt live anywhere else, PERFECT weather, No storms, no crappy roads, all different kinds of terrain to travel through, beaches, Mountains, country back roads. If you find me a state that has all this, ill gladly move there. Until then, ill continue living the life in this "craphole" and these beautiful 90 degree perfect weather days.

Smog isnt as bad as people make it out to be either, All you need to do is put on stock parts when you smog your car every 2 years. Its as simple as that.

Get notified of new replies

To CA Smog Nazi's

Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by refred
I would just move out of California like half the business owners are.
Let mexico have it
Old 05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mychebe
If you don't like California then stay out.We get tired of hearing how bad living here is,well I have Been to all 50 states and there is no place I would rather be than good ole Cailfornia.Please think before you post.Is the reason they call red states red is becuause of the weather or the color of your necks?
Whoa, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I personally call them red states because we get fuming red mad when CA tries to legislate anything for the rest of the country. This is why I live in FL now. No smog tests, no safety inspection (not to mention very liberal gun laws) Our air is cleaner than CA as well.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:21 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette

I am just funning- I will keep to myself in the land of guns, gators, and long tube headers and no smog test

Quick Reply: CA Smog Nazi's