Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust drone Magnaflow 16732

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 PM
scott1094
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks to all that offered advice and comments. Since the directions state to drive then re-tighten everything I did that today. I also tried adjusting the tips too. I cannot find any area of unwanted contact with the system. It is close to the center storage area but does not touch. Anyhow, after the adjustments and tightening there is still drone but, less noticeable and in a different RPM band. I can live with it and maybe as it ages it will improve. Again, my thanks to all, this is really a great place to come if you own a Vette.

Scott
Old 11-02-2012, 08:08 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,262 Likes on 821 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Sorry to hear about your drone issue. I run the same exhaust
with a x-pipe and headers and the only drone i have is at
1200 to 1275 rpm. I don't run at this rpm very often.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm not surprised that you are experiencing drone noise with that set up. Earlier this year I decided to upgrade the stock exhaust on my 2003 Corvette. I checked around and a couple folks advised me to get the Corsa Pace car system due to drone issues with other exhaust systems. I ended up buying the Corsa Pace car system. No drone and great sound from idle to WOT. Hopefully you will be able to trade the system you have. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Jollyrock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X-PIPE MAY NOT BE YOUR FIX.
Oh man, I just had a long thread going about my droning magnaflow system. I had Magnaflow resonators and x-pipe with strait pipes, brutal drone. And I'm a motorcyclist, I don't mind loud if its the right kind of loud but this was headache-inducing DRONE.
I put the car back in and they added mufflers (also Magnaflow), now the sound is fine except I'm out about $1400 and my car sounds stock.
if you can't afford a new system, adding resonators might be ur cheapest fix.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM
scott1094
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jollyrock
X-PIPE MAY NOT BE YOUR FIX.
Oh man, I just had a long thread going about my droning magnaflow system. I had Magnaflow resonators and x-pipe with strait pipes, brutal drone. And I'm a motorcyclist, I don't mind loud if its the right kind of loud but this was headache-inducing DRONE.
I put the car back in and they added mufflers (also Magnaflow), now the sound is fine except I'm out about $1400 and my car sounds stock.
if you can't afford a new system, adding resonators might be ur cheapest fix.
The car is almost factory quiet now. Resonators would make it totally silent. I did get some improvement when I re-aligned the tips so maybe next spring when it gets warm again, I'll do more adjusting and see if I can control the drone. It is there but was reduced when I adjusted everything. Who knows, maybe I'll just get lucky and get everything right next time.

Scott
P.S. You are correct, can't really afford to change things again.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:57 PM
hookedonvettes
Advanced

Hi Scott
I realize I am in the C5 forum despite the fact my car is a C4. However, when I searched for Drone on a Magnaflow system, I was interested in possible fixes > I will continue the discussion in the C4 area, But it is encouraging to hear I am not the only one with a serious drone, which is worst at between 1800 and 2000 rpm, which in my 6 spd, is exactly at highway speed. I could downshift to 4th gear, and the drone disappears, but I don't own any gas stations...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:21 PM
scott1094
Burning Brakes

To put an end to this I called Magnaflow's trouble line to ask what could be done. Nice people and willing to help but, after a confab with other techs the conclusion was, "it is what it is." They cite the close confines that the exhaust operates in and mentioned the fiberglass body as contributing factors. Since I was able to reduce the drone after a quick adjustment I'll make another try next year after the weather warms a bit. Thanks to everyone that offered help and suggestions.

Scott
Old 11-15-2012, 04:10 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Nice research, Scott 1094

One might have to agree with Magnaflow's " it is what it is." The only major diference between my stock and MAM systems is the internals of the mufflers, as I used all the orginal hangers and isolators. It does seem that designing a muffler that will produce the desired louder exhaust note, but not the drone, may be nigh on to improbable. I am looking at developing a sound deadening/ insulating material kit to install around or above the mufflers. May be worth a try. Anyone know of such a material that will also be heat resistant? My daily driver, Grand Marquis has welded on weighted brackets to limit exaust system vibration and kill resonance. Dead quiet. There is very likely an engineering solution to this
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Racod
Instructor

I realize the is an older thread. I have also installed magna flows. I eliminated the front cats and installed a hi flow cat. I have huge drone issues. I an eliminate only with light throttle around 1900 rpm.

Have you had any success. I love the sound of the pipes and would hate to change it. Would swapping the cat for a straight pipe help? I was thinking of installing sound deadening material under the carpet in the hatch. Also interested in other solutions like the weights previously mentioned.

Hard to deny their outside tone.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I used to have the Magnaflows and never experienced any drone whatsoever. They were just too quiet and I have recently switched to Corsa Xtremes.

Soooo, maybe you need an X-pipe. It helps with eliminating drone. Magnaflow make a nice X-pipe.
I have a 2000 coupe with the magnaflow with the x pipe and it drones just as op described. I will change it out one of these days to the ti that I got. btw I tried sound deadening but it was only partly successful. I used a dynamat product along with the thick rubberpad from one of the vendors. its strange that not all vettes get the drone.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM
20roadking11
Instructor

I have a magnaflow 16732 exhaust on my '02 C5. No drone at all. It is a bit too quiet for my taste.
Wayne
Old 08-21-2013, 06:29 PM
oldC5
Safety Car

Received 1,229 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by James2002z06
I have the same exhaust plus headers and x pipe my car sounds great are you'll sure you know what drone noise sounds like
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Bobcatt
Instructor

Anybody tried to extend the pipes after the mufflers an inch or so? My quad tips end right at the rear valance so I would think that with an inch or so more out past the rear would maybe be enough. I know if I have the windows down about half way I don't have any drone. Changed mine over to Stainless Works axel back that has resonators in the pipes mufflers and tips and that took care of a most of it but not all. Thinking that one inch more might be all it takes. Still sounds good even with the resonators.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Hanlon's Law
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobcatt
Anybody tried to extend the pipes after the mufflers an inch or so? My quad tips end right at the rear valance so I would think that with an inch or so more out past the rear would maybe be enough. I know if I have the windows down about half way I don't have any drone. Changed mine over to Stainless Works axel back that has resonators in the pipes mufflers and tips and that took care of a most of it but not all. Thinking that one inch more might be all it takes. Still sounds good even with the resonators.
Drone like you're describing is a function of harmonics. The C5 cabin resonates at a certain frequency and once your exhaust is vibrating at that frequency, you experience drone. That is also why opening the windows eliminates it, you're opening the "chamber" that would normally resonate.

You can either muffle the resonance by quieting the exhaust which is the usual method or you can tune it out with chambered resonators. My guess is you'll find tuned chambers in the Corsa mufflers that help eliminate the drone that C5s experience around 1200-1800 RPMs.

I have Kooks headers, 3" offroad X-pipe, and the Magnaflow 16732 catback and experience drone from about 1200-1500 RPMs. I just drive around it, but if you're doing highway time between 60 and 68 mph or so and want to drive in 6th, tough luck.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
kmk56
Instructor

Default Love them

Just had Magnaflow 16732 installed on my 98 vette. Absolutely love them. I drive the car more now than before.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:48 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

15713s here, MN6, XSPower headers and X pipe and drone at light load in 6th - - around 1200-1500 rpms...

Quick Reply: Exhaust drone Magnaflow 16732