Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Best Cold Air Intake kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:14 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not had any issues with water, I have pulled the filter box a few times after driving in crazy rain and its not wet past the filter with my vararam. The vararam requires the largest adjustment to the maf transfer table in the tune so it seems to make the greatest affect of increasing dynamic air into the engine. I don't claim to be a pro tuner or have tested everything for the c5 but that is commonly stated among tuners. I suspect with the right mods that moving to the ls3 maf halltech is a very good option but bang for the buck the vararam and good tune is pretty solid. The vararam without tune will most likely throw a light, it did for me because of how far off the maf transfer table will be with it against the stock tune. I wouldn't suggest it unless you have a tune in your plans as the computer will be at its limits trying to compensate for it until its calibrated for it.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 AM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

best intake..a supercharger....lol....i had the vararam system on my 03 z06 and i liked it..not hard to install like other's stated...ran my car on a track with other vette's with other brand name cold air intake's and all ran pretty close to the same time's few 10ths of second difference...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Man, it's getting deep in here.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:25 AM
NosLaser
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

On my first pass ever in my bone stock '01Z with nothing more than a vararam and some worn nittos, I went 12.26 at 114.5. The clutch slipped pretty bad in 3rd so I had to pedal and that was the first and only pass I made in the car in that configuration.

This is in a "slow" '01 and literally the very first time I have taken a C5Z down a dragstrip so take it for what it is worth. I'd say the intake was decent.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by garrettg
Not had any issues with water, I have pulled the filter box a few times after driving in crazy rain and its not wet past the filter with my vararam.
Are you saying your filter was damp?!? That is way to close to risking losing an engine if you ask me.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You would need to buy the new ls3 card style maf and update your maf transfer table to something reasonable which those numbers are provided online by few vendors to just get it to going then for optimal running have it tuned by a pro\neighbor using a wideband and dyno/street tuning. Hp tuners or another tuning programs would be needed just to enter a maf transfer curve to get it going. One option you could do is take your car to your tuner and have them put it into SD mode until then come back with the new hardware installed, or if the tuner will let you install the hardware at the dnyo shop or have the shop install the hardware. Just some ideas.

Doesnt the killer bee 2 come with the maf sensor/maf?

to update the transfer table Ill need software and to plug a laptop to the car?

sorry, im just not familiar with tuning at all...
Old 06-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies
Doesnt the killer bee 2 come with the maf sensor/maf?

to update the transfer table Ill need software and to plug a laptop to the car?

sorry, im just not familiar with tuning at all...
It comes with it. I used the lingfelter MAF tables. They were WAY off...
Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you like the killer bee 2? Is it worth the money and whatever program i have to get?

I already have a laptop with windows 7. And im willing to learn.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:05 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Looks like it comes with the maf now, I don't think it did back a few years ago when I was looking at intakes. The tune imo should happen no matter which cai you go with. That tune cost could vary a great deal for example you could get the vararam or halltech venom and get by with a mail order tune from a good vendor on these forums for 150. I don't know if they can do a mail order on the kb2 due to the maf change. You could ask them otherwise your into custom tune land or learning to tune your self both of which cost 2-5x. All depends how much time and money you want to spend. The cheapest option without a doubt would be kn zip tie mod or vararam/mail order tune. The most expensive the kb2 and buy a tuner then also pay for pro tuning. You will learn the most from doing the most expensive route even if you buy the wideband and learn to tune it as the tuner/wideband setup is more cost than just custom tune at a dyno.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

Originally Posted by Georgies
Do you like the killer bee 2? Is it worth the money and whatever program i have to get?

I already have a laptop with windows 7. And im willing to learn.
I'm running a Callaway Honker with a 100mm MAF. I'm not a fan of the open cone filters that suck in hot engine bay air.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:11 PM
garrettg
Advanced

Originally Posted by WannaC5Z
Are you saying your filter was damp?!? That is way to close to risking losing an engine if you ask me.
I don't recall how wet the front of it was, it was a severe downpour with wind so a very valid water everywhere test. After I checked it I was comfortable that unless I planned on driving in 2 ft flooded streets that it would be fine.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:06 PM
WannaC5Z
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't recall how wet the front of it was, it was a severe downpour with wind so a very valid water everywhere test. After I checked it I was comfortable that unless I planned on driving in 2 ft flooded streets that it would be fine.
Only takes one time...but if you are willing to take that risk, it's your right to do so. ;-)
Old 06-09-2017, 02:26 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Only takes one time...but if you are willing to take that risk, it's your right to do so. ;-)
With ya. That kind of (albeit tiny) risk is why I would not use a Vararam in my daily driver Z. Even if it wasn't a DD, weather is unpredictable, for an argued extra couple HP, nope.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:50 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

The old "Vararam can suck in water" has been a subject of discussion for over 10 years. It has NEVER been reported to have happened. I consider it an old wives tale, probably supported by fans of it's competition. You can believe what you like. BTW, I wouldn't drive my lowered Z in standing water, regardless of whatever intake I use.
The following users liked this post:
VaraRam Industries (06-15-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Jeffdenney
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has a vararam. It's seen one monstrous downpour and many light rains. No issues.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:45 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
The old "Vararam can suck in water" has been a subject of discussion for over 10 years. It has NEVER been reported to have happened. I consider it an old wives tale, probably supported by fans of it's competition. You can believe what you like. BTW, I wouldn't drive my lowered Z in standing water, regardless of whatever intake I use.
Exactly. If you're driving your car through 12"+ of water your going to be in trouble no matter what intake you're running. Hitting some standing water on the road at speed isn't going to be a problem with the VR. Unless the car literally plows through a foot of it, and if you're hitting water that deep at highway speeds your probably going to wreck anyway. I've been running the VR for 3-4 years now and never give it a second thought in the rain. My tires don't handle heavy rain anyway so if I get caught in a downpour I pull over until it passes.

Last edited by MY03C5Z; 06-11-2017 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:22 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Don't do the Vararam unless you never expect to get caught in the rain. It will be the most likely to suck up water into your intake and vapor lock your engine. There are also dyno studies out there that the Vararam doesn't add any horsepower until around 70mph because the ram air affect doesn't kick in until then. I have the SLP Blackwing and love it. I bought it as a kit with the smooth bellows for the smoothest air flow into the throttle body. Just my .02 worth.
oh God here we go w/ the vararam hydrolock myths again

So how about guys w/ turbo kits having exposed cone filters pointing right @ the ground many times?

OH....& I ran a vararam OTR style on my DD G8 GT 150k miles rain snow sleet - G8 forums had the same nonsense.

Last edited by C5Dobie; 06-14-2017 at 12:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Cold Air Intake kit?

Old 06-14-2017, 11:04 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Dobie
oh God here we go w/ the vararam hydrolock myths again

So how about guys w/ turbo kits having exposed cone filters pointing right @ the ground many times?

OH....& I ran a vararam OTR style on my DD G8 GT 150k miles rain snow sleet - G8 forums had the same nonsense.
An exposed cone or similar (assuming non paper) is much less prone to the same supposed issue of the Vararam. Once water gets into a duct it has nowhere else to go, particularly at higher speeds, but further along the duct. A member here noted he had a wet filter, so it's not strictly rumor of the potential problem.
Add the Vararam is ill fitting, and little if any performance improvement on the street = why bother.
I like the idea of cooler air as much as the next guy, just not worth it to me.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

on a stock engine you lose 3.5 kpa (0.5 psi) between 2500 and 6500 rpm at wot. its between the throttle body, maf, filter, airbox and other stuff. so even if you eliminate half the loss (i doubt it, keeping tb and maf) what do you get? less than 2%.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:07 PM
Scotty2000SS
Pro

It's more about sealing up the air box on these ram air systems. If you have any leaks it's not as effective.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Best Cold Air Intake kit?