Sponsored by:

SiriusXM radio install

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Default SiriusXM radio install

I am going to purchase a SiriusXM radio for my 99 FRC. Anyone have any information on installing this equipment in their Vette?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
AtxjusticeZ06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mounted my antenna directly under the center console. a lot easier than running it to the rear tail lights
Old 11-19-2012, 07:01 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AtxjusticeZ06
I mounted my antenna directly under the center console. a lot easier than running it to the rear tail lights
Pics? Thought you had to mount the antenna outside the vehicle. That was my main concern.

Where and how did you actually mount the radio itself?

Last edited by rkhegler; 11-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I put my antenna on the dash on the passenger side up by the windshield. Reception is great.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jrose7004
I put my antenna on the dash on the passenger side up by the windshield. Reception is great.
How does it attach? Double Sided Sticky tape?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Illini Al
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

My antenna is on the driver side corner of the dash up against the window. Perfect reception. Didn't even need or use tape.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

my antenna is located in the rear on the ledge above the license plate..I also have the old school systems so mine is played via the CD/AUX switch on the head unit and hooked up via the cable for the CD changer
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Illini Al
My antenna is on the driver side corner of the dash up against the window. Perfect reception. Didn't even need or use tape.
Same side here. Don't need to tape down anything. Great reception.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Update: I received the radio via mail and set out to do the "easy" install. Well, as is always is the case, we are operating under "Bob's Rule." Bob's Rule is, "Nothing is simple and it is always expensive."

I used the quick start step-by-step instructions. Things went really well until I got to step number six. Step six, the so called best option, said to plug in the new radio to the "auxiliary input jack" on the back of the factory radio. Well, there is no auxiliary input jack on a 1999 factory radio in a C5. So, the second option said I could use the FM set up. Well, in order to do that one has to find a blank FM station and then synchronize the factory radio with the SirusXM radio. That means when I leave the area, I have to find a new blank FM station and do the synchronization all over again. Way too much hassle for me.

Being frustrated by the whole mess, I called a couple of auto audio shops in the area. The first guy I called laughed and said he gets 3-4 calls per day addressing this same issue with the SiriusXM radios.

Anyway, after discussing all of the options 1) getting an entirely new radio for a cost of about $500 including install, 2) purchasing an FM module for $100 including install, and 3) using the magnetic tape cassette for a cost of $5.00, no install needed, I opted for the magnetic cassette tape. (It is why they call me cheap Bob.) I was told that the sound would not be as good as the other two options, but it seems to be damned good to me on my premium Bose set up. This afternoon, I did all of the install and hid as many wires as possible under the center console. I put the antenna as far forward in the left hand corner of the dash as possible. It seems to work well.

So, thanks to all of you who assisted me in this little adventure. I appreciate your efforts.

Last edited by rkhegler; 11-29-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I had a Sirius setup in another car and the antenna was placed on the dash at the base of the windshield on the passenger side with no tape or other device to hold it in place, similar to what others here have done. Always worked. And very easy to uninstall when the time came.

I also use the magnetic cassette in my C5 - want to keep the car original for a while yet - this was the best option IMO to connect an MP3 player without any mods. The sound is excellent
Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Update: I received the radio via mail and set out to do the "easy" install. Well, as is always is the case, we are operating under "Bob's Rule." Bob's Rule is, "Nothing is simple and it is always expensive."
I used the quick start step-by-step instructions. Things went really well until I got to step number six. Step six, the so called best option, said to plug in the new radio to the "auxiliary input jack" on the back of the factory radio. Well, there is no auxiliary input jack on a 1999 factory radio in a C5. So, the second option said I could use the FM set up. Well, in order to do that one has to find a blank FM station and then synchronize the factory radio with the SirusXM radio. That means when I leave the area, I have to find a new blank FM station and do the synchronization all over again. Way too much hassle for me.

Being frustrated by the whole mess, I called a couple of auto audio shops in the area. The first guy I called laughed and said he gets 3-4 calls per day addressing this same issue with the SiriusXM radios.

Anyway, after discussing all of the options 1) getting an entirely new radio for a cost of about $500 including install, 2) purchasing an FM module for $100 including install, and 3) using the magnetic tape cassette for a cost of $5.00, no install needed, I opted for the magnetic cassette tape. (It is why they call me cheap Bob.) I was told that the sound would not be as good as the other two options, but it seems to be damned good to me on my premium Bose set up. This afternoon, I did all of the install and hid as many wires as possible under the center console. I put the antenna as far forward in the left hand corner of the dash as possible. It seems to work well.

So, thanks to all of you who assisted me in this little adventure. I appreciate your efforts.
WTF!! I'm really surprised at what you had to go through. Especially at that price. With that kind of money, I would have gone for a nice Double Din unit. I just plugged mine into the auxiliary plug inside the center console.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

You need this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SiriusXM...FSemPAod-SUA2A

It mounts behind the radio, transmits the sat signal thru the coax plug o the back of your OEM radio. You will need the 2 coax adapters, GM uses the large diameter coax and the sat unit uses the small.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:40 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ron C!
You need this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SiriusXM...FSemPAod-SUA2A

It mounts behind the radio, transmits the sat signal thru the coax plug o the back of your OEM radio. You will need the 2 coax adapters, GM uses the large diameter coax and the sat unit uses the small.
I did not want to go the FM route.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
WTF!! I'm really surprised at what you had to go through. Especially at that price. With that kind of money, I would have gone for a nice Double Din unit. I just plugged mine into the auxiliary plug inside the center console.
Well, the radio was free and the sound is good. Once I got it figured out, it was not all that difficult. The main problem is that I am not a "radio tech guy." I have a free subscription for three months and then $9.50 per month for the remaining 12 month period. So, the cost was minimal and the problem is solved.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Ron C!
Safety Car

Received 195 Likes on 153 Posts

This is a direct hard wire into the OEM radio. It transmits thru the cable into your radio. You set your FM preset and listen. There is no RF transmission to receive static or any other interference from local stations, no hunting for a new frequency when you travel. It is the best way to go.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 PM
GK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This method has worked for me on my vehicles without auxiliary inputs.

If you are concerned about interference, don't be. It plugs directly into your head units antenna jack and then the antenna connects to the RF modulator.

Radio stations don't interfere as the RF modulator "overpowers" radio stations because of the direct connection.

I dedicated one of the presets on all my radios specifically tuned to the frequency it uses. I.E. 88.1, 107.9, etc.

Just food for thought.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

I mounted my XM in the center because I seldom switch stations. This isn't for everybody but I don't worry about theft and it doesn't clutter up the interior.
I mounted the antenna on the dash and get great reception except when I'm around tall buildings or deep canyons.

Last edited by rrichar2591; 11-30-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To SiriusXM radio install

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM
rrichar2591
Drifting

Received 326 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron C!
This is a direct hard wire into the OEM radio. It transmits thru the cable into your radio. You set your FM preset and listen. There is no RF transmission to receive static or any other interference from local stations, no hunting for a new frequency when you travel. It is the best way to go.
That is how mine was installed and I'm very happy with it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I went the easy way, I installed a Pioneer DD with Sat radio.
There is only one guy to contact here when it comes to audio and that is....Dennis @ Double D Mods a forum vendor, His prices and knowledge is fantastic.
Mr.Bill
Old 12-01-2012, 06:57 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

You need the Pac Audio PXDX
connect this to the Sirius or XM module with a 3.5 connection and it will allow direct connect to the radio.

http://shop.doubledmods.com/ZUNE-C5-...?categoryId=-1

The you can unplug it and use with ipod/iphone,mp3, zune ect

Quick Reply: SiriusXM radio install