Sponsored by:

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 05:15 PM
mikes1hog
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oldtimer

Some of the tires mentioned are classified as Summer Tires. My take is that they do not run well at under 50 degree ambient temperature. My Corvette will see the "outside" when it is under 50 as long as there is no snow on the ground. Any recommendation with this in mind? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
vetteglen
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the input, How do you train the tpms? I've done it on my DuraMax but haven't seen how on the vette. Just saw a c6 on the road, 2 deg Celsius and lots of sand and melting snow!! Arg!!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:43 PM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yesterday I had new tires put on my '97. I was running OEM Goodyear runflats. Not what I would call excessively noisy, but hard as a rock. Felt every little bump.

Went with BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2s (non-runflat). The car is now much more responsive and feels like it is glued to the road. However, they aren't any quieter than the GYs. I've heard this may change once the tires are worn in. This is a "summer" tire, but still performs well in the rain.

Purchased from TireRack for $825 shipped to my installer. Even though the rear tires were on back order; from ordering to install was only nine days.

PS Their is no need to train your TPMS after a tire change.

Last edited by WetteVette; 02-02-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:06 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced my original Goodyears with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS non-runflats. $1,180 OTD from Americas Tire. No regrets, look good, grip well, quiet.

I've heard the Hankook V12s are great tires too for a little less money.

Last edited by allred; 02-02-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Never argue with the Michelins, but I have had great luck with Conti DWS. Very affordable. I do not know if they make 'em in run-flat, though.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Abnmarine
Who has them for that price? Cheapest I'm finding is $850 plus shipping.
stock sizes are always hundreds less....sounds like you have an 18-19" setup.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Do a forum search for this lesser known tire- Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta. An excellent tire with favorable reviews from everyone who has tried them. Great performance with very reasonable pricing, usually on the lower side of tire pricing. I drive mine year round with no problem. i had Michelin PS2's before and like these tires better, and much more affordable. If you want a four season tire look at the Conti Extreme Contact DWS.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:03 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by WetteVette
Yesterday I had new tires put on my '97. I was running OEM Goodyear runflats. Not what I would call excessively noisy, but hard as a rock. Felt every little bump.

Went with BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2s (non-runflat). The car is now much more responsive and feels like it is glued to the road. However, they aren't any quieter than the GYs. I've heard this may change once the tires are worn in. This is a "summer" tire, but still performs well in the rain.

Purchased from TireRack for $825 shipped to my installer. Even though the rear tires were on back order; from ordering to install was only nine days.

PS Their is no need to train your TPMS after a tire change.

If you plan to keep your car for a long time; consider this. In addition to good tires, add the C5 sound/heat insulation kit from Marc at Vettenuts. I did last year, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent. The sound reduction from outside noise, including tire noise, is immediately noticable. This is an investment, which will last the life of your car, and won't wear out.
I believe it improves the quality of ride time, immensely. Corvette will never 'sound' like the quiet of Cadillac. It's a sports car. But this insulation kit, is a definite improvement on ability to listen to music, conversation, or just quietly listen to your Corvette, as you drive.

And the reduction of interior heat is the other great thing of this kit, as well.

Added to quality tires; you won't regret it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
luckstr
Advanced

BigDuk,
That's what I was told by the guys who have replaced my tires (3 times, I get about 30,000 miles each time). Last week they replaced the TPMS on the rear passenger wheel (it went bad) and they "re-trained" (programmed) the TPMS. Have I been mis-informed ? Everything is working just fine.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:13 AM
rkdc5z06
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nitto INVO.

Great pricing point and they are very predictable and consistant at the limit. Also, good crusing manner such as low noise. they offer many different sizes and alot of vettes run them for street tires.
discounttiredirect.com has it for pretty cheap imo.
personally, I run NT05s becasue I like more grip and dont care about tire noise. Vettes deserve grippy tire for true "vette" driving.

Last edited by rkdc5z06; 02-03-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by luckstr
BigDuk,
That's what I was told by the guys who have replaced my tires (3 times, I get about 30,000 miles each time). Last week they replaced the TPMS on the rear passenger wheel (it went bad) and they "re-trained" (programmed) the TPMS. Have I been mis-informed ? Everything is working just fine.
When they replaced the sensor, only that one has to be re-trained. There are several posts on re-training the sensors on here. Their batteries generally last 7 - 10 years

Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
stock sizes are always hundreds less....sounds like you have an 18-19" setup.
Correct. I have 18/19 stagger. I ordered my Hankook V12 tires from Amazon for $820 shipped to Hawaii. It took them three days to arrive.

I just finished stripping the OEM silver off of the C6 wheels. I then cleaned, primed, painted and cleared the wheels. I have new TPMS sensors to instal and McGard black chrome lug nuts with locks. Gonna have the tires mounted later this week.

The color is a graphite metallic.

Quick Reply: Need new tires