Served your country

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Served your country

If you spent time in the military it might be worth while checking out this site:
www.usaa.com. Saved over $5000. today!

Last edited by dquagliaroli; 02-03-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: CORRECT ERRORS
Old 02-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been with them for going on 36 years. Some will argue they aren't the cheapest. I wouldn't know as I've not shopped around much. Have my cars and home with them. My experience has been whatever you might save elsewhere is more than made up in their outstanding claims service. Have had several homeowners claims in addition to automotive claims over the years and I've always felt as though they've gone well above and beyond what was necessary to make the situation right.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I was with USAA for many years. But they just got way too high on their premiums for the cars and were not competitive on the house. I have no complaints at all about their customer service, just found better deals on the pricing. That was just my experience - it may be different depending on where you live. I have checked back several times since then, but they are still much more expensive than other companies.

Still, if you qualify for their services, worth a call to them to see what they can do for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Marine One
I've been with them for going on 36 years. Some will argue they aren't the cheapest. I wouldn't know as I've not shopped around much. Have my cars and home with them. My experience has been whatever you might save elsewhere is more than made up in their outstanding claims service. Have had several homeowners claims in addition to automotive claims over the years and I've always felt as though they've gone well above and beyond what was necessary to make the situation right.
I agree. Claim service is great.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I was with USAA for many years. But they just got way too high on their premiums for the cars and were not competitive on the house. I have no complaints at all about their customer service, just found better deals on the pricing. That was just my experience - it may be different depending on where you live. I have checked back several times since then, but they are still much more expensive than other companies.

Still, if you qualify for their services, worth a call to them to see what they can do for you.
I shopped around and ended up leaving USAA, also. I didn't give up any security just to save some bucks. I do think what part of the country you live in does matter.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:43 PM
96mogt
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I use them for my auto insurance and home owners insurance. They have been great since I have been with them. Top notch service!! Jay
Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

16 years thus far. Not sure why I stay with them as all I see is their premiums continue to go up with zero claims.

Home Mortgage loan was not competitive on interest rates or amount borrowed.

Homeowner's Insurance doubled in 4 years with zero claims.

Auto loan was 2% higher than elsewhere with excellent credit.

Credit Card was 4% higher than elsewhere with excellent credit.

I should start shopping around.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:35 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Been with them now for 27 years. They are in certain areas more expensive than others, but overall remain competitive. They have been fast to settle claims, though I have had only home claims from storm and lightening damage and one water damage claim. Have not used their mortgage or auto loan offerings so can't speak to those services.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:35 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

had them all my life, dad military and I am retired AF....best company on the planet in my opinion, would have none other...agree vets check them out.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I get better rates on insurance from others, but USAA's interest rates on car loans smokes everybody else. I've got 3 car loans with them now plus others in the past.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Abnmarine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been with them for about 18 years. Great service and my rates haven't changed unless we changed cars.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Scotty_Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

going on 10 years with USAA and though they may not always be the cheapest but their customer service is outstanding. I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed something from them and wasn't pleased with the response and help.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:12 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Can't beat them IMO. I recently got my business owners policy through them (they offer it through Hartford) and saved quite a bit over what they normally charge.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Suncityan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I do think what part of the country you live in does matter."

Very true.

Since the big wild fires in this area last year their rates have become astronomical - about 110% more than what local providers charge for the same house insurance. I know, my annual insurance renewal was last month.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty_Z06
going on 10 years with USAA and though they may not always be the cheapest but their customer service is outstanding. I haven't been in a situation yet where I needed something from them and wasn't pleased with the response and help.
Totally agree with that. Their customer service, bar none, is the best.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 808 Likes on 532 Posts

i've only had them 2.5 yrs, but it's been great so far. they really helped me out when i wrecked the car a year & a half ago.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
BryanV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive had them for 7yrs or so. They are ok.
Wanted $420 a month to insure my GTO in Germany and then wanted $410 to insure my 2012 Mustang also in Germany. LOLd and said no thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Been with them 20 years now, no issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Served your country

Old 02-05-2013, 01:45 AM
C5-2003
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
16 years thus far. Not sure why I stay with them as all I see is their premiums continue to go up with zero claims.

Home Mortgage loan was not competitive on interest rates or amount borrowed.

Homeowner's Insurance doubled in 4 years with zero claims.

Auto loan was 2% higher than elsewhere with excellent credit.

Credit Card was 4% higher than elsewhere with excellent credit.

I should start shopping around.
I am in total agreement with your assessment. I have been with them for over 40+ years with 7 very small insignificant claims. In my opinion in the past several years things have gone steadily downhill. Just not the same company it used to be. The leadership is totally isolated and it's all about getting as many policyholders as possible. Will probably continue with them but I am no longer the "happy camper" that i used to be. Take a look at Amica Insurance.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

My wife used to work for them in the military home loan dept. The old CEO Bob Davis was reported to only care about the total number of members, the total number of policies, and the bottom line. From what I understand they are working to become a decent company again. I know that for military when you deploy or PCS they will lower your credit card rates to like 2% for a year ( i am currently in Korea and enjoy a 2% rate on both mine and my wifes card) I have my car loans, home loan, and auto insurance through them. for an 00 vette, 07 mustang, 03 explorer, 72 vette, and 68 mustang i pay 250 a month for full coverage and agreed upon value for every car. I got my home loan through them for 2% interest with no points. For banking, free checking, they pay you back any ATM fees you have to pay when you get money, online check deposit, I really can't complain too much.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
I know that for military when you deploy or PCS they will lower your credit card rates to like 2% for a year ( i am currently in Korea and enjoy a 2% rate on both mine and my wifes card)
Oh yes. Please remind me of the BS interest rate tactics USAA loves to promote.

While this is great for you and your wife, it sucks for anyone buying into their "We lower your interest rates to offset the inconvenience of a military PCS from time to time." Yeah, that's great. For someone who always PCS's every two years. They get a significantly reduced interest rate. (You say 2%). Last I spoke with a Rep, she said "0%". Guess that changed too.

My problem with that bait is this:

I have EXCELLENT credit and the best rate they could muster for a credit card was a 9.99%. At the time, I had a Citibank Diamond Preferred (Black) Card with 5% interest rate.

Then here comes USAA bragging and boasting about their "Reduced rates" to 0% to offset the costs of moving while in the military.

Ok you USAA uneducated retards....
#1. I don't pay a thing when I am forced to PCS. ZERO. The Government hires a moving company who comes to my house, packs everything up, ships it, and unpacks on the other end.
#2. At my grade, I collect just about $2500 "Dislocation allowance" to help offset the costs of any expenses I incur along the way. Meals, Hotels, gas, mileage, etc.
#3. If anything arrives broken, missing, or other, I can file a claim in which I am subsidized the pro-rated expenses to replace said item.

Ok, so....Where does USAA come in to to play that "Offsets the costs of moving"? There are minimal to zero costs to any Soldier moving.

My argument point was this:

ME: So, your highest interest rate for the worst credit rating is 24.00%, is that correct?

USAA: YES.

ME: So, a Soldier, with the worst credit rating, who gets a 24% interest rate, is AUTHORIZED a 0% Interest Rate for 12 months following his PCS, which is better than ANY SOLDIER who does NOT PCS who has EXCELLENT CREDIT?

USAA: That is correct.

ME: I don't see your benefit at all. I have excellent credit and just because the military moves a Soldier, you claim that your interest rate is a benefit when the military pays 100% of our move to include dislocation allowances yet your interest rates benefits a Soldier with worse credit over someone with excellent credit.

USAA: (Silent) .....

ME: Hello?

USAA" Yes, Sir. I am still here. I am taking notes as you speak so I can pass this along to my Supervisor.

ME: ((Thinking, yeah BS. Your probabaly doodling some cartoon on some scratch paper, looking at the clock waiting to go to lunch.))

No one, and I mean NO ONE has EVER called me in regard to my concerns over their uncompetitive everything.

Their Home Loan was a pathetic $100,000 "Pre-approved" joke.

I got pre-approve elsewhere for $300,000.

New Car Loan? USAA 3.99% (or higher I think). Elsewhere? 2.07%.

Credit Card: USAA: 9.99%. Elsewhere? 5%.

So, each time I speak with a Rep, I let them know just how many Soldiers I explain this concept to and ask that they reconsider their policies to protect the good drivers, the good credit applicants and the good soldiers and the higher the level they go, the better rates and discounts associated.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

USAA does nothing. I don't even know why I am still with them at all.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 02-06-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Served your country