Sponsored by:

No radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Jrockk
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No radio reception

Ok so maybe someone can help I installed hid headlights and fogs now when I turn the headlights on ,radio reception goes to static on my jvc double din but turn lights off clear
I even tried a amplified antenna and nothing
Ballasts are mounted on the plastic where brake ducting goes
Idk does anybody have a fix

Last edited by Jrockk; 05-17-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Jrockk
Racer

Anybody?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 AM
2ooo-C5
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

wow.... that is a really weird one.

could you have crossed a wire with the antenna or ground?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Jrockk
Racer

Originally Posted by 2ooo-C5
wow.... that is a really weird one.

could you have crossed a wire with the antenna or ground?
No I checked I even tried running a ground from radio ground to battery and nothing
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '14, '15

Check fuses? May have blown one of the Radio fuses? (passenger footwell)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If the radio fuse was blown he would not hear anything, unless it is internally arcing which should cause the problem also when the lights are off. What I think you have is some issue that is associated with your mod. It may be a bulb or wiring connection that is arcing or somehow creating a radio frequency that is causing the problem. To start with I suggest you systematically pull (individually) connectors to the new installation to see if any reduce or remove the static and report the results. We can go from there.

PS: I would like to know if it happens on AM, FM, or with a CD. Or, it it does it with all or some.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Jrockk
Racer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
If the radio fuse was blown he would not hear anything, unless it is internally arcing which should cause the problem also when the lights are off. What I think you have is some issue that is associated with your mod. It may be a bulb or wiring connection that is arcing or somehow creating a radio frequency that is causing the problem. To start with I suggest you systematically pull (individually) connectors to the new installation to see if any reduce or remove the static and report the results. We can go from there.

PS: I would like to know if it happens on AM, FM, or with a CD. Or, it it does it with all or some.
Hey thanks man really not lookin forward to playin with those ballast connections again but yea if I plug my iPhone in to listen to music no problem or a cd it's fine but radio fm is all I listen to its static I wrapped the metal part of antenna adapter in tape and helped a little but still static

On a side note this has happened on all my gms I've put hids in with aftermarket radios my hummer,escalade all did the same just not as bad
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 PM
TintingKC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very common problem with cheap aftermarket HID Kits. You can try to move the ballast around and shield the wires but it will usually just minimize it.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 AM
Jrockk
Racer

Originally Posted by TintingKC
Very common problem with cheap aftermarket HID Kits. You can try to move the ballast around and shield the wires but it will usually just minimize it.
So are you assuming I have cheap aftermarket hid lights without knowing
Anyway there not some cheap brand and ill go out Tommorow and play some more with the connections hopefully it will do something
Old 05-18-2013, 06:15 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Since you mention having the same problem with all your GM installs, do you have after market radios in all those vehicles? I have a pioneer DD/GPS in my coupe and also have HIDs with no such problem.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I have no knowledge of a HID installation and parts. Can you let me know where you got yours so I can see what it contains and any info on extra grounding, etc.? You can post it here or PM/email me. Apparently it sounds like you need some level of shielding, assuming your install is good. We don't want to incorrectly shield something and trap heat. Not all shields have to be solid, just enough to disrupt the signal.

PS: I would be interested if you can put another FM radio near the car and see if you have the same thing. Just a portable one would be fine. If it does not do it, we may be looking at a signal that is being generated just in the cars circuits.

Reread your earlier post about some extra tape (curious what kind) on the antenna and it reduced it some. Based on that I will predict a portable radio will experience the some type of static. If that is true then we at least know the source is probably mostly radiating like a normal transmitter and not internal to the circuits/wiring.

Last edited by dadaroo; 05-18-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Did a little goggle on your issue. You may want to talk to these guys. They indicate it is most likely an issue coming in the DC power input from the ballasts. If that is true your portable radio should work just fine around the car.

http://www.retro-solutions.net/produ...er-pid588.html
Old 05-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have installed a lot of HID units in GM cars and the only time I have run into this is a cheap HID kit that doesn't have all the built in suppression, What type of HID's do you have and where did you buy them?
Mr.Bill
Old 05-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Jrockk
Hey thanks man really not lookin forward to playin with those ballast connections again but yea if I plug my iPhone in to listen to music no problem or a cd it's fine but radio fm is all I listen to its static I wrapped the metal part of antenna adapter in tape and helped a little but still static

On a side note this has happened on all my gms I've put hids in with aftermarket radios my hummer,escalade all did the same just not as bad
Did you use the same brand of HID kits in all these cars? If so that should tell you something.

Get notified of new replies

To No radio reception

Quick Reply: No radio reception