Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

No it's not dead. Long live the wave.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:11 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,764 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingrayrob
I get the wave a lot from C5 owners but not C6'ers.
I think most or alot of c6 owners, act like they are better or have a better car are something with them.
Now for the c6 owners that dont act like that does not apply to you. Robert
Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;1583933517]Saturday night cruise-in's at the burger shop, rock and roll music, and D.A.'s us older guys grew up with.
DAMN, I remember those days!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 PM
warlock007
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

8 out 10 always wave
Old 05-18-2013, 06:45 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I got 2 this afternoon.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 PM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

Maybe you're waving incorrectly? I always make sure I use all five fingers when I do the wave.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

I'm still waving.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:11 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Default The wave and current times ?

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Ive been waving since 1958. Always get a wave.. there are some new issues that are not apart of the guarantee of a wave . Heavy tinting some time the sun and angle of the wind shield causes lack of view of a wave... I have heard a few people who own c6 corvettes refer to the wave as a childish 1950's thing. Just like the standard C6 is more of a European techno car, it doesn't scream American Muscle like it's older siblings. Most C5'ers and older are ok with the corvette culture but when we lost the pop up lights, we lost more than just the lights. In 1963 when we went with the flip ups it was not a big deal and was actually embraced, but when we went back to the non flip lights there was a lot of controversy in the design even at the Gm design center. The older senior designers like myself were not happy with the European direction the Corvette was taking and the lights were a big part of the controversy. IM glad I retired before becoming part of that direction. The new C6 culture is far removed from those Saturday night cruise-in's at the burger shop, rock and roll music, and D.A.'s us older guys grew up with. And while it is not politically correct today, I sometimes miss squaring off with someone on the 1/4 mile marked off local high speed Bypass, when we were young and dumb.

For some glorious reason around here I usually always get a wave, even from the C6'ers

Oh Yeah Bill, when I bought my first Corvette, a midnight blue and white coves 59 roadster, back in the sixties if you owned a Corvette it was like a brotherhood, if you broke down by the side of the road I was surprised by a guy with a 67 who stopped and helped me get a new fan belt for the 283 with duel carters. And when you were out tooling around, it was easy to spot another corvette.

I always wave even today but it's much different. The brotherhood has most likely faded away, and the new Corvettes, even my 2003 are hard to make out coming in the opposite traffic lane. and most likely the drivers of C5 & C6's are so involved in the sound system or communications phone they don't even know anything about the "Wave". I would love to go back to the culture we enjoyed in the fifties and sixties. But that was a different world, I'm 62 and when we were young Bill, it cost a dime to make a phone call @ a phone booth. Here in Philadelphia, and you where young and you knew every cop on the beat, a little midnight drag racing was a common occurrence on the long straight back roads in Montgomery county.

Most of us belonged to the Delaware Valley Corvette club, the club is over fifty years old now. but I got drafted in 1969, and my beloved 59 had to go. Loved that car. The world is a very, very different place now. old habits are very hard to maintain. I rarely get a wave, but I will always try even if the yuppie in the atomic Orange convertible doesn't even look in my direction. Sad situation !
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 PM
zcarbon
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OP is from Colorado Since they passed the POT Law Their just Concentrating staying on the Highway
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny71
Us old guys wave all the time, but I agree C6 response is very poor. Back in the day it didn't matter if it was a C1, 2 or 3 we all waved (but their were not too many of us on the road).

Remember to WAVE!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:49 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by killain
Oh Yeah Bill, when I bought my first Corvette, a midnight blue and white coves 59 roadster, back in the sixties if you owned a Corvette it was like a brotherhood, if you broke down by the side of the road I was surprised by a guy with a 67 who stopped and helped me get a new fan belt for the 283 with duel carters. And when you were out tooling around, it was easy to spot another corvette.

I always wave even today but it's much different. The brotherhood has most likely faded away, and the new Corvettes, even my 2003 are hard to make out coming in the opposite traffic lane. and most likely the drivers of C5 & C6's are so involved in the sound system or communications phone they don't even know anything about the "Wave". I would love to go back to the culture we enjoyed in the fifties and sixties. But that was a different world, I'm 62 and when we were young Bill, it cost a dime to make a phone call @ a phone booth. Here in Philadelphia, and you where young and you knew every cop on the beat, a little midnight drag racing was a common occurrence on the long straight back roads in Montgomery county.

Most of us belonged to the Delaware Valley Corvette club, the club is over fifty years old now. but I got drafted in 1969, and my beloved 59 had to go. Loved that car. The world is a very, very different place now. old habits are very hard to maintain. I rarely get a wave, but I will always try even if the yuppie in the atomic Orange convertible doesn't even look in my direction. Sad situation !
I read this (and Mr Bill's) and just had to reply. I'm 35 and just purchased my first Corvette last Fall...a 2004 coupe. The first day I brought it home, I happened upon another C5 and got a wave. I instantly felt that my new purchase wasn't just a new car in my life, but a new community in my life. I joined this forum to learn as much as I could and read different experiences. I have to tell you all though, I WISH I grew up in the 50's/60's. From my viewpoint, the world just seemed like a nicer place than it is today. Less complicated technology, slower pace of life, less nut-jobs on the loose, wholesome, easier to trust strangers and people seem more friendly to other human beings. Perhaps I'm being naïve and my opinions of what it was really like are all wrong...plus I'm only focusing on the good parts, but still seems like a time I would have liked to experience myself.

Almost forgot to add: I wave every time and will continue to do so regardless of the other person's actions. It's part of the ownership experience and your responsibility as a Corvette owner.

Last edited by imgn tht; 05-18-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,815 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Front street, Atco, the hot shop in 69th street. Scotty's, Shuster's, WIBG, Jerry Blavit, Chez Vous, Hy Lit, Cherry cokes , Lime Ricky's and Black and white shakes, Philly cheese steaks.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-18-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,815 Likes on 1,926 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

looks like IM getting sucked back to the 50's and sixties.. back then you could identify every car by how it looks not buy the cookie cutter foreign cars we see today, the ones that you cant tell one from the other without reading the badge.. there were no cells phones and one TV the media was the evening news, no CNN, or Cspan you could leave your doors and windows open and leave the house. the " Family " all got together at some lake or park and everyone was there bringing their own specially food. we played softball and talked trash and watched the generations of family member smile and laugh and not worry about reality shows. Great grand mom and pa were there with grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles cousins and niece, brothers and sisters. Much slower times, you know when Coke was a coke. there was an innocence in the relationships we had as kids, today they are having babies at 13. living on welfare and food stamps. The world was better back then, you could walk down the street in the evening and not have to look over your shoulder or make sure your Glock was on safe. I miss those days and somehow made it through with out a computer, or a cell phone. Kids went to dances at the church or school. And we had respect for our elders. today every other word out of some kids mouth be it boy or girl is the F word. even when older people are present. Yeah I am old, but I grew up with morals and ethics, like 90 % of my friends. not sure that is a case with kids today. People are trying to keep up with the jones's, even if they cant afford it.... Sorry... just an old guy talking about the good old days, and unfortunately Like Gladys Knight once sang... in 20 years, these days will be the good old days. What does that say about the way the world is heading.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,591 Likes on 14,135 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Lots of hit and miss on the wave these days. I still keep waving though.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:22 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

But that was a different world, I'm 62 and when we were young Bill, it cost a dime to make a phone call @ a phone booth. Sad situation !
NEWSFLASH*** At 62 you're still young, you old fart!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM
AlwaysWaves
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose my username for a reason. I have only had a couple chances to wave. The 2 C5s waved back, the C4 and C6 didn't. I'll keep at it though. I see Corvette ownership as a brotherhood, even if they don't.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,229 Likes on 738 Posts

Seems everybody in my area wave all the time. It's cool to wave towards another corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the wave dead????

Old 05-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Loc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 29 years old and love the wave. I feel like we are a tight knit community, its not like were driving camaros. You think the c6 guys are bad, wait until the C7 start floating around. They will probably turn off just to avoid us lowly C5 drivers.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 129 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by la vett girl
No it's not dead. Long live the wave.

Best post of the thread!

oh, and yes - I've always waved and don't plan on stoppin' now...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 293 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingrayrob
I get the wave a lot from C5 owners but not C6'ers.
Now that's funny! A few years ago I bought my first, a 93. Naturally I hung out in the c4 section.The c4 guys complained that the c5 guys never waved at them. I wonder how long it will take for the first post of a c6'er to complain that the c7's don't wave? A day maybe?

Last edited by o2bnkc; 05-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the wave dead????