2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Silicone and Braided Hoses Question

For those who have performed this upgrade (mod?), are there any benefits with silicone over the OEM GM rubber hoses in terms of performance, longevity, durability, etc? I also like the braided hoses from a pure engine bling perspective, however outside of the bling, does braided steel offer any additional benefits? Unlike the silicone hoses, are the braided steel hoses wrapped around OEM rubber hoses?

Lastly, I would love to see pics of your engine bay if you have any braided or colored silicone hoses, red in particular.

Thanks!

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-05-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not sure if they are better either , I've got a set of red that I have yet to install on my car
Just haven't felt like draining the fluids yet .... As for the braided stuff ..if done right they are bad azz.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Unlike the silicone hoses, are the braided steel hoses wrapped around OEM rubber hoses?
I was wondering the same thing the other day. I assume that due to cost, the braided hoses are not silicone as well? I prefer the look of the braided, but performance and longevity are paramount to me, so I will probably go with the red silicone. Of course, I have not had a stock hose fail yet in 13 years!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:50 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Choreo
I was wondering the same thing the other day. I assume that due to cost, the braided hoses are not silicone as well? I prefer the look of the braided, but performance and longevity are paramount to me, so I will probably go with the red silicone. Of course, I have not had a stock hose fail yet in 13 years!
That's good to know! I plan to go no longer than 10 years on my original OEM hoses and belt. Since I will be swapping them out, I would like to add a little bling while hopefully improving on the the stock rubber.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Here is my input on this matter, Where I worked we used standard rubber, Stainless braided and Silicone.
Braided Stainless lines lasted the longest, Rubber was next and the silicone didn't last as long as the others in our hot water sanitizing.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have had the silicone ones on for a few years now. Wasn't really happy with the fitment of top hose. Was kind of short and had to stretch it a bit to make it fit. Thought it might eventually break off the radiator fitting but so far hasn't. I put the stainless cover on them but just for looks. I will go back to the OEM or get the braided ones next time.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mstromquist
I have had the silicone ones on for a few years now. Wasn't really happy with the fitment of top hose. Was kind of short and had to stretch it a bit to make it fit. Thought it might eventually break off the radiator fitting but so far hasn't. I put the stainless cover on them but just for looks. I will go back to the OEM or get the braided ones next time.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that the braided hoses look great!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

When I was dressing up my engine bay I went with yellow silicone hoses. I confess that I was more interested in appearance, but I also wanted to have a fresh set of hoses for my own peace of mind and I had the system flushed at the same time.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Coloured silicone is to me. It just makes the engine bay look cheap and ricey. Maybe I am old school... hell I know I am old school. I prefer braided stainless with anodized aluminum AN fittings.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:44 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Who offers the best braided hoses? What do you look for in comparing brands?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,227 Likes on 13,933 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The braided hoses do look great. Will follow this thread to see if any info on where to get them is posted.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:56 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a new coolant tank today, found a small leak at the bottom. When I was looking at the hoses, two were dated 05-09-99, and that's on my 2000 , they have been there a while, 89k+ miles, they are all soft with no cracks, but I think I'll stay with the black OEM hoses, changing them all out with a good flush next week.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 AM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Who offers the best braided hoses? What do you look for in comparing brands?
Aeroquip is probably the best/ most popular. Russel and Earls are two other decent brands, and summit and jegs have their house brands. It's best to stick with one brand. Sometimes fittings or hose from different brands don't fit together right and leak. Also, I believe the rubber inside the ss braid only lasts about 10 years, (or less when exposed to bad fuel). They make braided steel with Teflon core for A/C hose or brake lines, it isn't cheap. There's a racing hardware store in Long Beach, CA called Deering Industries. I used them extensively on a previous hod rod project. They either have or can get anything you need. The owner's name is mitch. I don't think they're a forum sponsor, so you'll have to google them.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've been tracking this thread myself. I've got a coolant smell issue I can't figure out. There are no leaks but when the car gets hot I smell coolant even after the engine is shut off. I'm changing my coolant cap and since the car is now 10 years old and 115k miles, just for preventative maintenance I'm going to change the hoses. I don't need a hose bursting on the road. I can't decide if I should just stick with rubber or go with the silicone hoses, I don't know much about them except that they are shiny. Not into coloring my engine so I'd probably buy black. I want to eliminate leak possibilties one step at a time. Anyone use the silicone hoses and do they really hold up as well, if not better than stock? This is my concern with the hoses. Anyone have any idea why I have a smell with no leaks, this just started last week after being stuck in traffic on a 95degree day. I have a friend who also has the same problem for a year and can't figure out his problem. No leaks and pressure tested fine.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Just to let everyone know regarding braided hoses for fuel. I had every hose on my street rod made in braided steel, actually made all lines myself. Anyway, keep tabs on any line with fuel running thru it. After a winter of not driving it I went to start it and I couldn't get it to run. Short story: the fuel was leaking out of the entire length of hose from the fuel filter to the carb through the braiding, pouring fuel all over the motor. I was amazed, it actually was leaking out the length of the hose. Good thing the motor was cold and wouldn't start!
Old 06-06-2013, 09:41 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by striper
I've been tracking this thread myself. I've got a coolant smell issue I can't figure out. There are no leaks but when the car gets hot I smell coolant even after the engine is shut off. I'm changing my coolant cap and since the car is now 10 years old and 115k miles, just for preventative maintenance I'm going to change the hoses. I don't need a hose bursting on the road. I can't decide if I should just stick with rubber or go with the silicone hoses, I don't know much about them except that they are shiny. Not into coloring my engine so I'd probably buy black. I want to eliminate leak possibilties one step at a time. Anyone use the silicone hoses and do they really hold up as well, if not better than stock? This is my concern with the hoses. Anyone have any idea why I have a smell with no leaks, this just started last week after being stuck in traffic on a 95degree day. I have a friend who also has the same problem for a year and can't figure out his problem. No leaks and pressure tested fine.
I read your other thread as well and agree that I think 10 years is a good life for any rubber hose regardless of the miles so it would probably be a good idea to swap out all of your hoses as well as the aging coolant overflow tank.

As mentioned, I plan to swap out all of my hoses and my belt so I think the coolant overflow tank may need close inspection as well. My radiator should be fine, however when the time comes for that change, I am definitely going with a Dewitt's aluminum replacement.

I like engine bling, but I don't particularly like covers, so if I proactively swap out the coolant overflow tank as well, I could take the time to paint the cover of the tank MSG before installing it.

Right now I'm leaning towards the braided hoses for additional durability and the engine bling effect. If I can get another 10 years out of them, I would be happy.

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-06-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Silicone and Braided Hoses Question

Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Well... Recently my C5Z has been running a little hot here in this TX weather.... It is a built, H/C/I car... With A/C on in stop ,go traffic it sees 230+.... While driving last night (90 deg) I could smell a hint of coolant... Got home and found the culprit... This is part of the hose that goes to the front of the intake crossover.... It's pretty long so I simply cut this piece off and added coolant/water... My reservoir was about empty!!! Replaced,refilled drove the car did not get past 190.... problem solved...!
All that being said... I ordered the Dewitts radiator, Fans, and a new Silicone hose set (Red) for my Z06... My car is almost 13 years old and I think its time. I'll post results, pics once complete.. Here is the hose...

Old 06-15-2013, 09:00 PM
MAJ_Charlie
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I went with the silicone hoses in black to keep my engine bay looking clean. I figure if I had started the braided steel route I would have ended up putting chrome on everything and having a "bling'd out" engine. Either way will be better than rubber that tends to dry rot over time. I just did my DeWitt's radiator and fan install this afternoon. I'm putting the pictures in order to do the write-up I promised you MSG.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I went stainless hoses from Chip at CCA, had them sitting in a box for over a year, and have just completed doing my "big mods" for 2013/2014.
I love the quality, the look and the final result.
That said it was a frustrating time fitting them - I just don't fit well in tight spaces (big arms and hands ) the anodized hose clamps were the real culprits......

Quick Reply: Silicone and Braided Hoses Question