Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my seat skins installed! PIC HEAVY!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM
flags97
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whenever we attempt to do something that we are unfamiliar with there will always be mistakes, and the more you do it you will pick up some tricks of the trade, I attempted mine, love the way they look, there are a few wrinkles, most have smoothe out in time. Frankly I could not afford $1400 for seat skins, did it myself for $600 and I am a happy camper with the way they look and so should you!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flags97
Whenever we attempt to do something that we are unfamiliar with there will always be mistakes, and the more you do it you will pick up some tricks of the trade, I attempted mine, love the way they look, there are a few wrinkles, most have smoothe out in time. Frankly I could not afford $1400 for seat skins, did it myself for $600 and I am a happy camper with the way they look and so should you!!!
Thanks. I'm thrilled with the way they look. Thank you for the kind words. I'm right there with ya on the price $660 shipped to my door and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

They look great!
Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They look great!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

Did mine myself used the old seat foam and built it back up here's my write up ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...eat-skins.html

Entire process was right around $300 including price of skins.

To the op..... Your seats look awesome!!!!! I love the black with yellow stitching and also the Suade!!!!! I think I got my skins from the same please as you exotik leather. Where did you get t center console cover, and e-brake over?

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 06-30-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Maybizel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tyler_RN_EMT
Did mine mysel used the old seat foam and built it back up here's my write up ...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...eat-skins.html

Entire process was right around $300 including price of skins.
I actually looked at you write before I installed mine. Thanks for the help. I purchased mine from someone who isn't a vendor here on CF. I will PM you with his info. He is working on a Ebrake handle and steering wheel for me as well.

Last edited by Maybizel; 06-30-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:22 AM
CNB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Maybizel
I did ask.. your right......and your the only one who doesn't think they look good. I invite you over any time your in the area to bless me with your infinite wisdom on installing seat covers. Better yet..... you could do a write up on how to install them the PROPER way and post it on the forum for all of us to use!!! This isn't the first post of yours that I've seen bashing someones seat install and boasting about your vast experience and all the expensive cars you work on. " I am semi retired and working on the restoration of our 1931 Cadillac. Sometime later this spring - summer I will start doing an Auburn boattail speedster for a customer. I just recently finished a 1910 Whiting, which is one of two knwn to exist, for a museum in Alaska.
I was just commenting on the quality of the covers, as I saw it
." Didn't your momma teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say than keep your mouth shut? Sorry to rant on but if your gonna slap it out on the table I'm gonna cut it off.
The color scheme and material looks good! But Kmcoldcars is right about the wrinkles. That part does not look good and I would not be pleased with the outcome. Don't take offense as this is an open forum and, you asked for it.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Maybizel
Instructor

Originally Posted by CNB
The color scheme and material looks good! But Kmcoldcars is right about the wrinkles. That part does not look good and I would not be pleased with the outcome. Don't take offense as this is an open forum and, you asked for it.
I agree about the wrinkles and I will probably address the issue. I do not take offense to constructive criticism but I will not be talked down to. It's one thing to critisize and offer advice and it is another thing to act as if you are better than someone else.
Did you have some advice on the wrinkles or how to get them straightened out?

Last edited by Maybizel; 06-30-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:38 AM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I was told if you spray the leather with Lemon pledge and then let it dry it won't wrinkle. You have to spray pretty heavy..
Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 AM
Architect
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

While I appreciate your attempt to DIY, I have to say some things are better left to professionals. Wrinkles = no bueno.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:24 AM
black match box
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

looks great. good answer to the person that is the expert. you could do mine anytime.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

I did ask.. your right......and your the only one who doesn't think they look good. I invite you over any time your in the area to bless me with your infinite wisdom on installing seat covers. Better yet..... you could do a write up on how to install them the PROPER way and post it on the forum for all of us to use!!! This isn't the first post of yours that I've seen bashing someones seat install and boasting about your vast experience and all the expensive cars you work on. " I am semi retired and working on the restoration of our 1931 Cadillac. Sometime later this spring - summer I will start doing an Auburn boattail speedster for a customer. I just recently finished a 1910 Whiting, which is one of two knwn to exist, for a museum in Alaska.
." Didn't your momma teach you that if you don't have anything nice to say than keep your mouth shut? Sorry to rant on but if your gonna slap it out on the table I'm gonna cut it off.
You did ask what we thought. Since I have done upholstery for 25 years I tend to look at things a little differently from most people when it comes to upholstery. I only make a comment when someone posts photos and asks what we think. If photos are posted and opinions not asked for I do not comment, but most times, but not all, owner installed seat covers do not look good to me. I would be happy to show you how to do it but I cannot teach you the techniques of installing seat covers over the internet.
If you do not want truthful opinions then do not ask.
I do not wish to get in a pissing contest with you. Enjoy your Corvette. They are awesome cars.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Childish response. You asked, he replied. FWIW, he's not the only one who thinks it's a poor install. I do also....
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
PETE O.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I installed my self. Took awhile but I'm pleased with the results.
Maybizel, aren't you in some way affiliated with Kahlil Mahmood at Interior Inovations? Seems one of your first posts led to him. Did you use factory GM foam or an after market? I was getting ready to spring for a set of these but they just don't seem to fit all that great. Lots of loose leather, it seems. Anyone else use these skins?
Old 07-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Originally Posted by rikhek
Childish response. You asked, he replied. FWIW, he's not the only one who thinks it's a poor install. I do also....
Way to be buddy Thanks for chimming in. Looks like you live fairly close. Maybe we can hang out some time?

Last edited by Maybizel; 07-02-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Originally Posted by PETE O.
Maybizel, aren't you in some way affiliated with Kahlil Mahmood at Interior Inovations? Seems one of your first posts led to him. Did you use factory GM foam or an after market? I was getting ready to spring for a set of these but they just don't seem to fit all that great. Lots of loose leather, it seems. Anyone else use these skins?
I am not affiliated with him. I simply purchased the covers from him. I used aftermarket foam from Corvette America. The fitment is partially my fault. I was in a little bit of a hurry and wanted to see what they looked like installed. I will probably take the seats back out and do some adjusting to see if I cant get it to come together better. The passenger seat looks really good but the drivers side not so much. The new foam made a HUGE difference on how comfortable the seats are. I will take some more pics after I get them adjusted a little and see if it gets better. I am by no means a proffessional and this was my first attempt at trying something like this. It was fairly easy... I think I can get them looking better with a little finness. As far as the quality of the materials I am very impressed for the price. I have seen some of the high dollar skins with the same fitment issues but again it probably goes back to the install. If I can't get them to fit right I might take them to an interior shop and see if they can do anything for me.

Last edited by Maybizel; 07-02-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Kevinthegreat
Instructor

I like them. Like you said, you can always mess with them to get them to fit better

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got my seat skins installed! PIC HEAVY!!

Old 07-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Maybizel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevinthegreat
I like them. Like you said, you can always mess with them to get them to fit better
Thanks Kev. Maybe you can come over and lend a hand??
Old 07-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Kevinthegreat
Instructor

For sure. Just let me know when buddy
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 PM
bthollow
Advanced

Good on you for taking this on and achieving a pretty good end result. Sure, it can use a bit of adjustment tweaking to smooth out the wrinkles but that's to be expected for a first time install effort on something that's not the easiest DIY job. It's on my list of future "to dos".

Quick Reply: Finally got my seat skins installed! PIC HEAVY!!