Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Non Wave

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
ErMaK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally figure that if a fellow corvette owner doesnt wave back it me its because either they just dont know about "the wave" or that maybe they didnt see me, which I can understand if I have my windows up because I have 5% on the sides and rear and 30% on the windshield, but I usually will roll my window down and stick my arm out and wave...IDK sometimes i get the wave back and its a great feeling, but to be honest I get very little response back...I get more feedback from other drivers on the road(thumbs up, wave, etc).
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me the "wave" is a bit of a combination of things. First, there is a bit more of a bond between corvette people and VW people. Second, I return a wave to anyone regardless of what I am driving or what the other person is driving. Maybe I am in the grocery store or standing on a street corner. Regardless, I wave. It's just rude to not return a wave, period. At least where I come from that's true. I understand it is different in New York, etc.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
JaxEagle
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ErMaK
I personally figure that if a fellow corvette owner doesnt wave back it me its because either they just dont know about "the wave" or that maybe they didnt see me, which I can understand if I have my windows up because I have 5% on the sides and rear and 30% on the windshield, but I usually will roll my window down and stick my arm out and wave...IDK sometimes i get the wave back and its a great feeling, but to be honest I get very little response back...I get more feedback from other drivers on the road(thumbs up, wave, etc).
Agree with you that sometimes it can be hard to be seen with coupes and FRC's, but I have a vert so it is very easy to be seen.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:25 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Suncityan
Now that's an UNDERSTATEMENT!
I am deeply offended by your response. If that statement wishes to be UNDER, who are you to call her out. We live in a world where statements should be allowed to be whatever they want.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Suncityan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobeast
I am deeply offended by your response..
Well my goodness, I'm sorry.

There was something on the note in a fortune cookie the other day that applies here:

"Having all that anger inside is the same as taking posion and thinking someone else will die."
Old 07-05-2013, 12:57 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my short and IMHO answer. Those in a C6 that don't wave are just REALLY BUMMED OUT because they screwed up and bought a POS. Having said, not all C6's are crap but there are many that are having more issues than the well kept C5's..Just saying....
Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 245 Likes on 111 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by chipscvettec5
Here's my short and IMHO answer. Those in a C6 that don't wave are just REALLY BUMMED OUT because they screwed up and bought a POS. Having said, not all C6's are crap but there are many that are having more issues than the well kept C5's..Just saying....
best excuse yet
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I could not disagree any less.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Suncityan
Well my goodness, I'm sorry.

There was something on the note in a fortune cookie the other day that applies here:

"Having all that anger inside is the same as taking posion and thinking someone else will die."
You do realize my missive was all in fun, right?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Suncityan
Advanced

Mine was too. However if the shoe fits, wear it.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:12 PM
NOMOREWORK
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Thanks for the replies everyone there certainly were some good ones!!!
Old 07-05-2013, 06:54 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gtbbaby
Point taken, but 'special' community - we just happened to make the same consumer purchase - does that make us special? a community? Funny I don't feel shameful, nor should I.

So your implying that a Volkswagen is beneath a corvette - they're just a different class of car - with that line of thinking, what about Ferrari owners ? Their cars are technically better than the vette - so should they have some complicated hand signal as they pass each other? Where does it end? I've been driving for 45 yrs. with many of my cars being performance cars and the only time we waved at another car is when we knew the person driving it. I guess we agree to disagree.

When Ferrari owners see another Ferrari driver on the road they are required to stop and keep him company until the tow truck arrives. (grin)

Personally, I do not feel that Ferraris are superior cars. I had a '77 308 GTB and it was a PIA. I never did get it "dialed in" right. Also, there are not enough dealers to help you out when things go wrong. The other thing is that parts are super super expensive. An example: The sensor that turns on the cooling fan is the same part number as one that goes on a VW which cost about $20. If you go to Ferrari for that same part it cost $200. I don't see anything superior about that.

The C5 is superior to anything Ferrari can produce. I think it beats Ferrari every way there is to measure it. I could go on, but it all gets redundant in a short while.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin

With all my love

Bill aka ET
Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Sids04
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 69 Posts

Save the wave.. I get waves whether I am in my C3 or C5..
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Yello95
Kenny, you seem to love that closing statement... Some times I call it tough love, other times its just a tongue in cheek closing statement. But when I do add it, I think of you. Sometimes I think a lot of the seriousness found in these threads is way over the top... Now that I cant drive for another 3 or four weeks, I do in fact, miss my car, and the opportunity to wave to other Corvette enthusiast. The wave is a small thing , but if you are a bit passionate about the corvette community, and for some reason you cant enjoy that simple exchange, it does give it a little more meaning than to just take it for granted.
Bill aka ET
Thanks for the friendship and the prayers, they are working.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 PM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

these wave and non wave threads are funny!!!!

People that get upset about a wave from someone you don't even know then come here and post about it to more strangers!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Based on my own experience (driving Corvettes for 13 years) I believe that if you were to ask five randomly-selected Corvette drivers about the "Wave," my guess would be that three of the five would give you blank stares in return, meaning they either (1) Never heard of it, or (2) Know about it, but never initiate one or return it when one is given to them first.

Get notified of new replies

To The Non Wave

Old 07-06-2013, 12:43 AM
jdot
Drifting

I drive my Vette for the fun of it and I'm not looking to wave at anyone but I do if I see another Vette on the move. For me it's all about the Vette. Just sayin' ; I'm going to have another beer now.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
If you aren't getting a wave, you obviously aren't doing it right....you gotta adopt the gangsta lean technique....just keep one hand on the wheel and flip your fingers up gangsta style....like this, keeping the thumb on the wheel: now if that don't get a wave, turn around and rear end the bastard!

Funny!!
Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

In SoCal and now in the PNW I find a lot more Wave than not. Wed driving home from Work on the 5 thru Seattle I passed a White C1 in the HOV lane (White Hair old guy driving, with prob his Son next to him) and I waved as I went by...a bit later as I hit traffic and he went by me he made a big Wave back! I thought it was pretty damn cool.

I think its just a mutual admiration thing, we dig the fact we each own a American Sports Car.

When I go to Laguna Seca for the ALMS race (last 11 years in a row) the Corvette Corral is by far the largest year after year. They are true fans.

Ferrari's used to show and stay on the center Island, where no one but the owners were allowed. By mid race, most had left. Posers. They no longer come...

Quick Reply: The Non Wave