Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Heads and Cam are definitely on the way BUT in the mean time... TB/Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 AM
K-n
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads and Cam are definitely on the way BUT in the mean time... TB/Intake?

I'm most definitely going to get heads and cam done in the near future. I was told I really need to consider a Fast intake/TB combo. They are fuggin expensive! Then I stumbled upon:

TPIS 90MM neck modification for stock LS6 intake $350
New Take-off LS2 throttle bodies (c6 parts section) $200-225

Basically a TB and 90MM intake for less than the price of a Fast intake alone...

Anyone run this combo? I'm assuming this would most certainly require a tune and a wiring harness for the LS2 TB if I decide to put it on before the heads/cam work in then near future.

My current setup is a Callaway Honker and AR 1 3/4 with cats...

Opinions? Advice? Concerns?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:23 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know much about heads or cams but if you already have an intake on your car with a tune then I wouldn't bother changing out an intake for another form of an intake.

I would wait until you have everything you want and then tune it. I've made the mistake of moding slightly at a time and then going back and re-moding and I ended up spending more money on re-tuning.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Most of your big gains will be from the H/C combo you choose. Don't forget the little things, like a UD pulley, and maybe an EWP. They are things that add up, and don't cost as much as a new intake. I waited around, and found a used, ported FAST 90/90 for about half the price of new, and then later sold it when I added a SC. The LS6 mani/TB combo is plenty good for a H/C, but HP starts getting more expensive, as you need to upgrade the drivetrain, too.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
K-n
Instructor

Thanks, Zee. Tony Mamo was trying to help me with a setup and he was telling me that I'm leaving at least 20rwhp on the table by leaving the stock intake and TB on there. I can certainly port the stock TB, but the intake is still going to have a 78mm neck. Upgrading to a 90 seems like a good idea, at least in theory, and doing a mod LS6 with an LS2 TB, I'm at $550 for both. That's WAY cheaper than a Fast 90/90 or 92/90 unless I can find a great deal on used...
Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by K-n
Thanks, Zee. Tony Mamo was trying to help me with a setup and he was telling me that I'm leaving at least 20rwhp on the table by leaving the stock intake and TB on there. I can certainly port the stock TB, but the intake is still going to have a 78mm neck. Upgrading to a 90 seems like a good idea, at least in theory, and doing a mod LS6 with an LS2 TB, I'm at $550 for both. That's WAY cheaper than a Fast 90/90 or 92/90 unless I can find a great deal on used...
You're welcome. Tony won't steer you wrong, but it might get spendy. I think I spent about 900 for the used mani, and a new GM takeoff. I also had to buy the adapter cable, and the IAT relocate kit, so yeah, this **** adds up.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:13 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought this from amazon. Not sure if im allowed to like this but mods can take it down if im not
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EQ...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Put it on my c5 z06 with no issues at all! So for the price people are charging for used ls2 tb's you can get a brand new one. A/C delco factory part! And you will notice in the review that a fellow forum member toque had good things to say about it as well on amazon! You will also need the adapter harness made by Casper. I scooped that up along with a brand new fast 92 black intake from Hinson cheapest way to do it!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
I bought this from amazon. Not sure if im allowed to like this but mods can take it down if im not
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EQ...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Put it on my c5 z06 with no issues at all! So for the price people are charging for used ls2 tb's you can get a brand new one. A/C delco factory part! And you will notice in the review that a fellow forum member toque had good things to say about it as well on amazon! You will also need the adapter harness made by Casper. I scooped that up along with a brand new fast 92 black intake from Hinson cheapest way to do it!
Thanks for the link! One can also search Amazon for "ACDelco 217-1617 Throttle Body Kit".

And Lingenfelter offers a TB porting service for $95:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...9#.UeAhG0GshcZ
Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K-n
I'm most definitely going to get heads and cam done in the near future. I was told I really need to consider a Fast intake/TB combo. They are fuggin expensive! Then I stumbled upon:

TPIS 90MM neck modification for stock LS6 intake $350
New Take-off LS2 throttle bodies (c6 parts section) $200-225

Basically a TB and 90MM intake for less than the price of a Fast intake alone...

Anyone run this combo? I'm assuming this would most certainly require a tune and a wiring harness for the LS2 TB if I decide to put it on before the heads/cam work in then near future.

My current setup is a Callaway Honker and AR 1 3/4 with cats...

Opinions? Advice? Concerns?
I know this is a little off topic but what did your car dyno with the Callaway Honker and the AR headers? I'm getting catless ARH 1 3/4 and Callaway hHonker installed and tuned next week
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LSX_NUT
I know this is a little off topic but what did your car dyno with the Callaway Honker and the AR headers? I'm getting catless ARH 1 3/4 and Callaway hHonker installed and tuned next week
FWIW, here are my results with Callaway Honker, ported TB, and catted 1-3/4 LG Streets:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...d-headers.html

Based on other reported results, you can expect anywhere between 375 and 400, depending on the dyno, the tune, and your specific car.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM
hamhead
Racer

OP, keep in mind when you buy a FAST you can sell your old LS6 manifold for a decent chunk of change to someone doing a budget LS1 build. $350 or so in general.

So the true cost of a FAST manifold for those who have an LS6 is really in the $550 range. And you don't have to worry about downtime on shipping your LS6 to be snouted (unless they do core exchange, not sure).
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Originally Posted by skyavonee
FWIW, here are my results with Callaway Honker, ported TB, and catted 1-3/4 LG Streets:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...d-headers.html

Based on other reported results, you can expect anywhere between 375 and 400, depending on the dyno, the tune, and your specific car.
damn! Those are some good numbers. Do you know how much power it picked up from stock?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:55 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

damn! Those are some good numbers. Do you know how much power it picked up from stock?
Keep in mind my results seem to be near the maximum of what one can expect... I've only seen a few bolt-on C5Z's claim higher numbers. I never did a bone-stock baseline dyno pull, but ya gotta figure I easily picked up 30+ hp at the wheels.

Last edited by skyavonee; 07-12-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:15 PM
LSX_NUT
Racer

Originally Posted by skyavonee
Keep in mind my results seem to be near the maximum of what one can expect... I've only seen a few bolt-on C5Z's claim higher numbers. I never did a bone-stock baseline dyno pull, but ya gotta figure I easily picked up 30+ hp at the wheels.
My car dynoed 364rwhp bone stock. Getting ARH 1 3/4 headers, catless Xpipe, Callway Honker, and PAC 1518 springs next week.

I'll report back with the before/after dyno numbers. I'm hoping I can also pick up 30+whp from stock.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

My car dynoed 364rwhp bone stock. Getting ARH 1 3/4 headers, catless Xpipe, Callway Honker, and PAC 1518 springs next week.

I'll report back with the before/after dyno numbers. I'm hoping I can also pick up 30+whp from stock.
That's a healthy baseline. Here's hoping you break 390.

Start a new thread with your results once you get them... we've already derailed this one far enough.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM
K-n
Instructor

389.5 on a Dynojet
Old 07-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

This is on my heads/cam car, but it might be what Tony was telling you about leaving some HP on the table with a stock intake/TB.

Added Fast 92, and LS2 TB (both ported by SpinMonster).
I removed my stock LS6 intake and ported LS6 TB.

If your running an older LS1 intake, and non ported TB then i would expect you would gain more than I did.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:52 PM
K-n
Instructor

Thanks, Toque. So, the big question is this: how much difference, really, would there be in terms of RWHP in:

Fast 92/LS2 Throttle Body
Stock LS6 intake with 90MM opening via TPIS performance with LS2 throttle body.

I would tend to believe the stock LS6 manifold itself is designed to flow well, but the 78mm opening is certainly the issue...

Fast 92: $900. Stock LS2 TB: $200 = $1100.00
TPIS-modified 90mm LS6 intake: $350. Stock LS2 TB: $200 = $550.

Exactly half.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads and Cam are definitely on the way BUT in the mean time... TB/Intake?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by K-n
Exactly half.
Thats my answer to your question on HP gains between both setups ...

Just kidding....

I'm not sure exactly what gains you would see on either. A lot of times its dependent on the car, other aftermarket mods on the car, the tuning, time of day, temperature outside, humidity ...etc...etc....etc....

Toque
Old 07-12-2013, 04:51 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hamhead
OP, keep in mind when you buy a FAST you can sell your old LS6 manifold for a decent chunk of change to someone doing a budget LS1 build. $350 or so in general.

So the true cost of a FAST manifold for those who have an LS6 is really in the $550 range. And you don't have to worry about downtime on shipping your LS6 to be snouted (unless they do core exchange, not sure).
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Summer wolf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the TPIS and LS2 combo and I was not impressed.

I switched to a Fast 90 and TPIS 90 mm throttle body. Much easier to work with, all the factory stuff connections, hoses and wiring bolts up like stock. Looks a million times better and while the LS2/TPIS LS6 didn't need that much of a tune adjustment my car was running incredibly lean with the Fast 90 and TPIS 90.

Added some fuel and I'm over 400 HP with 1 7/8s kooks, fast 90, TPIS 90 throttle body, Callaway intake, and SLP catback.....on an 01.

I'd say invest the money now, because you'll regret not doing it right the first time.

Last edited by Summer wolf; 07-12-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads and Cam are definitely on the way BUT in the mean time... TB/Intake?